Butter knife bolt handle, Forging?

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Im sure many know the newer Tikka bolt handle is easily removed and hold in with a dovetail with many aftermarket tactical options available.

I read of a company who do upgrades and I reckon they sometime straighten and fill the bolts. Actually that’s the AHR upgrades on Cz550 I think.

Anyway, I like the traditional looks and always thought the Butter knife bolt handles look good.

I have experience welding and a few skills around various things. I have never forged. I did wonder if it is possible to forge the Tikka handle to a Butter knife handle? Keeping with the original machined dovetail Nd shaft?
I do have. Large Anvil and. Forge for display and maybe. A Retirement interest.
I’m thinking it needs some material added to get the size and shape, I believe forging can basically forge weld two pieces together another way would be to get a piece of stainless flat at 5mm thick cut shape. Grind and polish to size then weld it at the right point on the shaft. Perhaps TIG weld it then grind polish it.

First problem I have never handled. butter knife handle to see if I like it, second I don’t have one to shape it off but what do people think?
There must be heaps of spare bolt handles around.
Maybe @Von Gruff , @Gert Odendaal and other knife makers may have some ideas?

You could always look at the old Scotts gunmaker Daniel Frazer and his treatment of the bolt handle. I am not a fan of the butterknife handle and in particular not on anything that is not a mannlicher.

B H 1.png
Bolt handle.png

You might contact Baldwin Bolt Service

Fair comment Mr Gruff, that bolt handle is interesting. I don’t think I have seen one like that.
Rob, I will google Baldwin’s bolt service.

Maybe this is al Corona talk or i to much time to think, I work alone and camp out most of the week. Good for conversation it might look wrong on a modern rifles

Fair comment Mr Gruff, that bolt handle is interesting. I don’t think I have seen one like that.

Maybe this is al Corona talk or i to much time to think, I work alone and camp out most of the week. Good for conversation it might look wrong on a modern rifles
CBH
Chris here's on my dad did on an old Anshultz single shot. He was an armourer in the RAAF.
Cheers mate Bob
20200201_135450.jpg

Bob, that explains a little. I read a lot and I’ve owned a fair few rifles and heaven forbid I say this I work with people who are experts in their own mind. I’m talking people who use and manage firearms use who say the silliest things or cannot shoot for shit. Older and younger.
Again a lot of my knowledge is based on reading and a bit of tinkering etc plus some shooting, but eventually the truth is out there and you can determine what is right and wrong and who is full of it.
What I see is that you have done a bit, you have tinkered and built rifles and get further into the load development and specs than I not to mention the age difference. All bullshit aside you probably thought I’m talking to you cause you are an Aussie but I had a PM with a member who asked a question about some stuff and I referred him to you saying that I believe your information is credible, that is no disrespect to any other forum member but the point is I see you probably had a good influence from your father and know your shit.
That said I was pretty impressed when my PH in South Africa he can see I can shoot. I was pretty happy about that, it was someone else rifle in a calibre I did not have any experience with but chose it to try it . I think they felt I wasn’t happy a lot of the time but apparently I don’t smile and it seems I am hard to read, people that know me seem surprised at times when I say something funny.
Anyway , the rifle is cool, I’ve never handled a Mannlicher but I reckon I was eyeing them off in magazines as a kid and that is where my interest in traditional looking rifles came from . I like hunting rifles but I do have a thumbhole and a GRS Bifrost.

I have one spare Tikka handle, If I get a titanium one for a hunting rifle that leaves me two, it I do Butter knife one and it does not look right I can swap them on and off easily and no real harm done.

I wasn’t sure if forging the original would have enough material but it’s not happening anytime soon.

I think I like the idea of shaping one from stainless flat as I can start over if I stuff it up, if I like it I can polish it an TIG weld it to the shaft then sand and polish some more. I expect stainless bar stock will be plenty stiff enough, welded correctly it should be a s strong as ever it’s just if the weld softens the material on the bolt shaft but I think will be short enough that it would not leave much of the original to lever or bend so long as I keep the dove tail intact and appropriate clearance around the slot where the bolts handle fits.

Skip has done some nice work for me in the past and his prices are Damn reasonable

Bob, that explains a little. I read a lot and I’ve owned a fair few rifles and heaven forbid I say this I work with people who are experts in their own mind. I’m talking people who use and manage firearms use who say the silliest things or cannot shoot for shit. Older and younger.
Again a lot of my knowledge is based on reading and a bit of tinkering etc plus some shooting, but eventually the truth is out there and you can determine what is right and wrong and who is full of it.
What I see is that you have done a bit, you have tinkered and built rifles and get further into the load development and specs than I not to mention the age difference. All bullshit aside you probably thought I’m talking to you cause you are an Aussie but I had a PM with a member who asked a question about some stuff and I referred him to you saying that I believe your information is credible, that is no disrespect to any other forum member but the point is I see you probably had a good influence from your father and know your shit.
That said I was pretty impressed when my PH in South Africa he can see I can shoot. I was pretty happy about that, it was someone else rifle in a calibre I did not have any experience with but chose it to try it . I think they felt I wasn’t happy a lot of the time but apparently I don’t smile and it seems I am hard to read, people that know me seem surprised at times when I say something funny.
Anyway , the rifle is cool, I’ve never handled a Mannlicher but I reckon I was eyeing them off in magazines as a kid and that is where my interest in traditional looking rifles came from . I like hunting rifles but I do have a thumbhole and a GRS Bifrost.

I have one spare Tikka handle, If I get a titanium one for a hunting rifle that leaves me two, it I do Butter knife one and it does not look right I can swap them on and off easily and no real harm done.

I wasn’t sure if forging the original would have enough material but it’s not happening anytime soon.

I think I like the idea of shaping one from stainless flat as I can start over if I stuff it up, if I like it I can polish it an TIG weld it to the shaft then sand and polish some more. I expect stainless bar stock will be plenty stiff enough, welded correctly it should be a s strong as ever it’s just if the weld softens the material on the bolt shaft but I think will be short enough that it would not leave much of the original to lever or bend so long as I keep the dove tail intact and appropriate clearance around the slot where the bolts handle fits.
CBH
Chris before you start cutting and shutting find out about using a HEAT SINK to stop the parts you don't want to get to hot overheating. There should be plenty on YouTube or the internet on using heat sinks.
Cheers mate Bob.

Here is a blank to be finished on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MANNLICHER...266187?hash=item2ae21e594b:g:W5cAAOSwYw1dGl3t
Description:
MANNLICHER STYLE HANDLE.
Made from 4140 moly steel, .570 dia tapering down to .430 dia.
Milled flats are parrell. Length is 2 1/4 long. Thickness 1/4. Plenty of extra stock left on end for welding, and shaping. I also offer a smaller version for .22, or mini mauser rifles, .520 dia tapering down to .430 1 3/4 lg. I also install these handles, or any other after market replacement handle, install tactical knobs, and provide 3 patterns of jeweling for rifle bolts, shotgun bolts, pistol barrels, and other parts.

Check out my other items, and check out my store, for info to my website, or how to contact me to have any jeweling, tactical knobs, or handle installation done.
THANKS WELCOME BALDWIN , BALDWIN BOLT JEWELING

Midway had a lower priced one, but out of stock: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004682621

Attachments

• Screenshot (707).png
    Screenshot (707).png
    223.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot (708).png
    Screenshot (708).png
    121.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot (709).png
    Screenshot (709).png
    177.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Screenshot (710).png
    Screenshot (710).png
    73.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Here's a fine old 1928 proofed Kurz Mauser built by Greif for Otto Bock, restored by Dorleac:
38583023bx.jpg

38583062le.jpg

38583030vd.jpg

38583027ce.jpg

38583024xi.jpg

38583025wl.jpg

38583026xe.jpg

That rifle was built on an original Mauser "Kurz" action SN-94996 and proofed March 1928.
Even if it bears the signature of Otto Bock, it appears that Greif in Suhl made it for the then prestigious Berlin firm.
The K action, with spoon handle bolt lever and double set trigger, is fitted with a superb Böhler Antinit steel 24" slightly heavy barrel, chambered for the Europe's newly introduced 250-3000 Savage cartridge.
Initially a Zielvier 4x Zeiss was fitted in handmade inverted claw mounts before a Zielseichs 6x scope replaced it circa 1937. To ease the use of the scoped rifle, a Greener safety, on the left side, blocks the sear.
Even if the traditional Suhler engraving is not up to the overall outstanding quality of the rifle, the whole assembly is top notch.
When that rifle was completely dismantled for a full restoration, we noticed how great attention has been given to details in its making, with perfect inletting, great care in barrel fitting and outstanding hand made scope mounts.
It took a full year of spare time work to return the Otto Bock 250-3000 to its past glory and it was a challenging adventure to retain even the thinnest of all the original parts.
Happily, thank to the Antinit steel, the barrel was as new, the chamber on the tight side and with the newly overhauled great Zeiss optic and good handloads, the rifle prints now ragged holes.
…my English is not as good as that little beauty, but I hope you will find that story interesting !

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Attachments

• 38583023bx.jpg
    38583023bx.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 38583062le.jpg
    38583062le.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 38583030vd.jpg
    38583030vd.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 38583027ce.jpg
    38583027ce.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 108
  • 38583024xi.jpg
    38583024xi.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 202
  • 38583025wl.jpg
    38583025wl.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 576
  • 38583026xe.jpg
    38583026xe.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
...thought I’m talking to you cause you are an Aussie but...
Anyway , the rifle is cool, I’ve never handled a Mannlicher but I reckon I was eyeing them off in magazines as a kid and that is where my interest in traditional looking rifles came from .

I'm a 'Yank' who communicates a great deal on an Aussie site called NitroExpressForums. They have a Mannlicher forum and several of their members have Mannlichers and Mannlicher Schoenauers. It's possible that if you get to know some of the Oz members you'd have a chance at shooting some original Mannlichers.

A word of caution though - Mannlicher Schoenauers are rather expensive and after handling one you may become obsessed with them.

Chris,

With the titanium rifle action, does the bolt contain titanium components as well, such as the handle?

I have zero experience with any, but I have some industrial experience with potential for reactive metal fires with high titanium components. The stuff the "D" fire extinguishers are for.

Chris,

With the titanium rifle action, does the bolt contain titanium components as well, such as the handle?

I have zero experience with any, but I have some industrial experience with potential for reactive metal fires with high titanium components. The stuff the "D" fire extinguishers are for.
Im not sure. I see Titanium actions by various makers but what i mentioned are the sftermaket bolt handles.
There are plenty of bolt handles and bolt shrouds offered for Tikka by various makers.
Recently i found a New Zealand company offering a Titanium handle made on 3D printer that is hollow on the knob. They are the lightest on the market with one 9g i think.
A saving of maybe 2oz

Your a welder, so cut off the existing bolt and tig weld the new one on..Like you Im fond of the butter knife bolt handle, and since I hunt horseback its the best option in a saddle scabbard...Ive never experienced a problem with the butter knife as some claim, apparently some cannot chew gum and walk at the same time or have an over active imagination, in which case they need a big ugly bolt handle and a plastic stock!! :) :)

First problem I have never handled. butter knife handle to see if I like it, second I don’t have one to shape it off but what do people think?
I haven't either yet I detest them,slippery fingers in the heat of the moment when the 'big one' requires more quick shots comes to mind.
I wont ever have one.

I haven't either yet I detest them,slippery fingers in the heat of the moment when the 'big one' requires more quick shots comes to mind.
I wont ever have one.
I have a couple on Brnos 21/22 and crude custom made one on a M98. I like the look on the Brno 21/22 and the fact that they have slimmer profile than regular knob bolt handles. I also carry the rifle barrel down a lot and so big protruding bolts poke my back/side more. I do not use just fingers on the spoon handle but cycle it like any other bolt, using the palm of my hand. So I hope that in any heat of the moment I will not notice the difference. On the other hand, I think the pear-shaped commercial Mauser bolts from early 20th century are some of the coolest/best. So I can't make up my mind really but just wanted to say that I do not necessarily see any handling down side to the spoon handles. At least not just yet.

Milan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg