www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Hi Gentleman,
Here is some photos off one of our trailcams from one of our bait stations. Since there was a discussion about hunting bushpig recently and the difficulty of finding one, I thought it might be relevant posting some photos, just to show that they really do exist.
All you need is patience, knowledge and a little bit of effort from your outfitter....;) Please notice how I got the one to smile for the camera, after telling her that it was for AH! In the third photo, the boar can clearly be seen.
Enjoy!

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Last edited by a moderator:
Marius

Healthy pig population i see...great use of a trail camera...

How good are they to eat?

Do you shoot these pigs at night? It been a few years since i spotlighted, when it was still legal.

Hi James,
They are excellent to eat. Some folks choose not to consume them due to their "diet" because of their love for feasting on carcasses of dead animals.
Bushpigs are hunted at night, unless you are very lucky on finding one early in the morning on its way back to the nest. As you will see on the trailcam pics, the moon is pretty full, so you would be able to take a shot simply from the moonlight.
Otherwise we use a spotlight on a dimmer switch, which slowly gets turned up until a shot can be taken or even a downlight which works on solar power.

Marius
You sly dog you...

This would add another practice session at the range under lights at night.

When we grew up we would shine to the side and slowly move the spot light toward the animal and shot when your scope picked up enough light to see the target and cross-hairs and then it would be lights out. That was with a white light well before the new filters came into play. back in the 50's when pelts were worth something we were able to take Rabbits, foxes, coyotes, racoons, badgers, skunks on your land. and for the weekend it was rats at the dump. if it moved it died and none of these critters are on the endanger list. go figure that one.

James,
LOL, no night session on the range required! Shooting distance is about 20 yds. You actually hear them munching away on the bait, thats how close you are.
We also use the method of slowly moving the light from above the animals downwards, until there is enough light for a shooter to pick his target. Nightvision can also help with spotting the boar before any lights go up, because once the lights shine, there is no turning back.

Difficult animals to hunt.... many people want them...but not too many guys return to their home with bushpig tusks in the pocket....

Jose

This past weekend we hunted in the Vaalwater area and saw this at the farmers house on our last night there
IMG_0387.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0387.jpeg
    IMG_0387.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 122
I feel bad for not shooting one on my recent safari. I spotted a group of 5 on a Gemsbock stalk on our 3rd day. My PH Van was so excited but I just didn't have the $$$. We got back to camp and the other PH's where shocked we even saw them. I was aware of how rare they can be after reading about them on here before I left. I will probably will never see another one, but I feel privileged to have at least seen them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross