Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
Last weekend, attacks in Burkina Faso killed 49 military police and several civilians. Al Jazeera's Nicolas Haque says "2/3 of the Country is no longer in Government control". There are no recent updates on this site. Is any AH member currently in BF with a comment? Always dreamed of hunting there. Perhaps no more? Thanks.........FWB

My understanding is that all of the Safari operators have left the country.

It’s gone.

Last weekend, attacks in Burkina Faso killed 49 military police and several civilians. Al Jazeera's Nicolas Haque says "2/3 of the Country is no longer in Government control". There are no recent updates on this site. Is any AH member currently in BF with a comment? Always dreamed of hunting there. Perhaps no more? Thanks.........FWB
I almost pulled the trigger on a hunt there a few years ago, about the time things were heating up in the region.
When it started looking really dicey and the State Dept starting flagging it, I passed on the idea. I was really looking forward to a unique hunt but I too believe its gone for the foreseeable future.

I was in the same boat. I just waited too long.

The country has experienced one coup d'état after another since independence.In addition,the border war with Mali,officially ended but still went on forever in small wars.I waited to long also;who knows what it was good for not to hunt there.The "mahdists" are on the advance everywhere.1 million internally displaced persons alone.Don't you think they would like to wish for the old ( French ) times back there ?

I spoke to a few outfitters at SCI last week who had been in Burkina Faso in the past. No one thought there would be any hunting there "in my lifetime" someone said. Even after all of the troubles die down (no pun intended) - and there's no sign or line of sight to that now - it would take a long, long time for the animals to come back, let alone come back in huntable numbers.

Very sad.

Ya, just saw that and the article in Reuters. Burkina Faso govt has fallen in a military coup. .....FWB

Such a shame what's happening all over the Sahel region. Saw where the military seized power from the president this week. I was reading that part of the reason they did it was because the troops didnt feel like they were getting the support they needed in the fight against Boko Haram and other militants. In the really bad parts of the country the military is in some ways the only semblance of govt, soldiers are noble enough most of the time, but don't always know the best ways to run the civil side of things. It's a mess for sure.

The news today suggested that at least some of the military involved in the coup were looking for Russian assistance in subduing the Islamic insurgency. They've had enough of their own government and the French, which have collectively been (pretty obviously) ineffective.

I think it's been pretty clear so far that the Russians - employing whatever methods they use in these cases in other parts of Africa (!) - have been more effective than the French. This may be one case where I'm rooting for the Russians!

If the Russians are in fact invited in, and they are successful, then hunting may not be gone forever, and, more importantly, the people of Burkina Faso may get their lives back.

The news today suggested that at least some of the military involved in the coup were looking for Russian assistance in subduing the Islamic insurgency. They've had enough of their own government and the French, which have collectively been (pretty obviously) ineffective.

I think it's been pretty clear so far that the Russians - employing whatever methods they use in these cases in other parts of Africa (!) - have been more effective than the French. This may be one case where I'm rooting for the Russians!

If the Russians are in fact invited in, and they are successful, then hunting may not be gone forever, and, more importantly, the people of Burkina Faso may get their lives back.
The "Russia is always bad no matter what" narrative is falling apart quickly, and that's a good thing. Russia was instrumental in the fight against ISIS in Syria whether people want to admit it or not.

I had similar thoughts that in this case and others a military "coup" by the right people, may not be such a bad thing.
Couldnt be much worse than what they had.

That could be true. Russia tried to enlist US cooperation in the war on terror during the Trump admin. Democrats rioted, called it a "Bro-mance" called the President a Russian Agent, and generally went about stirring up hate. As always. But politicians in DC and their families and power brokers had made 40 year careers on hating Russia, and they wanted it back. Cooperation was not in their interest. I think in BF, having Russia involved would be a great thing. Are they a entirely benevolent Country? No. Nor is any other. But the inability of African Countries to govern themselves translates into insecurity and poverty for all of the people simply wanting to raise and feed their families. The French helped, but Russia might lead to something better.......FWB

Next thing you know they will open hunting back up with Russian PH's!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg