Burkina Faso Hunt

Jimbob

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a reason why it is so cheap to hunt Burkina Faso?
This site, amongst others, shows very favourable rates. I mean €1450 for a Lion!
http://www.huntburkinafaso.com/rates/packages/

Is it to do with this (taken off UK Gov website)

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The lion there typically have smaller manes than you'll find in Southern Africa. I say who cares if that's what you can afford?

But more in general as to why it's a bit cheaper, it's just not the prime destination for the more iconic species. Your travel advisory map may also have a bit to do with the lower prices. Furthermore, near as I can tell there's only two seasons.....hot and more hot. Finally west Africa hasn't been developed and marketed like their counterparts down south.

But I think it would be a grand adventure, so go for it if you're so inclined, but do your research and do not make a quick decision.

@christophe morio, perhaps you can add to the discussion?

That is a cheap price on a lion! But is this a safe place to go would be the question???

Reactions: lcq
The state dept. issued a travel advisory for Burkina back in January advising the security situation is fluid, that there had been a pretty significant attack (18 murdered) in Ouagadougou, that there is an Al Queda presence, etc..

That said, they haven't told US citizens to stay out, or not to travel there.. Only that there are threats and that the US govt has a very limited capacity to assist with diplomatic or consular affairs..

I haven't been there since 2006.. And I am sure things have changed at bit over the last decade.. But when I visited, I loved the country... It's extremely under developed.. But the people were incredibly friendly, the countryside was lush and beautiful.. And there is an INCREDIBLE French restaurant in Ouagadougou that is run by a French expat that serves wonderful food and sells local art and wood crafts... I'd go back to Ougadugu tomorrow just to visit there again..

Burkina isn't Tanzania.. And Ougadugu certainly isn't Joberg.. But.. If you don't mind trading comforts for adventure.. It's a pretty cool place IMO (there and Benin are probably my two favorite West African countries that I have visited)...

I believe that the 1450 Euro for lion is strictly the trophy fee. I also think there is a very tight quota on lion there (maybe 2) so the all-in hunt will still run you from $32-35K US, which is still a very good price for wild lion. The quotas most likely are already spoken for for years; but that's just my opinion.

There was a phenomenal package not to long ago, I'm defiantly thinking about a trip there. Travel advisories really don't play a part in my decisions as long as I'm traveling by myself or with another able bodied person. I think it actually adds to the trip. I'm not saying I would go wander around by myself in some of these places nor some places in the US for that matter but I believe with proper research of a reputable PH, odds are you will be fine. I've found the less you act like a pompous ass your odds of being singled out as el jefe diminishes substantially.
A savannah buffalo would be sweet!
Cheers,
Cody

I would not hunt there no matter how inexpensive it is. It's a hot bed of terrorism.

Reactions: lcq
I believe that the 1450 Euro for lion is strictly the trophy fee. I also think there is a very tight quota on lion there (maybe 2) so the all-in hunt will still run you from $32-35K US, which is still a very good price for wild lion. The quotas most likely are already spoken for for years; but that's just my opinion.

The €1450 is exactly that, just the trophy fee. However I can't see how it could be escalated to $32k.
Even with dip and pack(€250), license fees(€650) and 7 days hunting at what I think is the daily rate (€400x7=2800) plus the trophy fee, I struggle to see how $32000 could be attained.

I did see something which may explain it; Lion trophies aren't exportable to the USA.

The €1450 is exactly that, just the trophy fee. However I can't see how it could be escalated to $32k.
Even with dip and pack(€250), license fees(€650) and 7 days hunting at what I think is the daily rate (€400x7=2800) plus the trophy fee, I struggle to see how $32000 could be attained.

I did see something which may explain it; Lion trophies aren't exportable to the USA.
You ain't gonna get a "7" day lion hunt anywhere except South Africa.

Others have said it, but to sum it up this hint is less for several reasons, and seema to be in line with what I've heard in the past (around $35k):
  1. Area not classic or desirable to many
  2. Less infrastructure
  3. Risk level (whether real or perceived)
  4. Smaller manes on the lion
I may also be confused with Benin, but I don't think baiting is allowed in BF? So it is walk and stalk, or tracking only. Free range and not fenced, I'd think that adds to the overall challenge and the hunter would certainly need to be in shape.

Safety wise, I'm with @Bullthrower338 . I'd like to go there someday and the current safety level wouldn't stop me. Going to the Chicago slums for charity work is dangerous too as is driving down the freeway. Opportunities like this are one of the last grand adventures we have I think.

I know a guy who hunted lion (successfully) in BF in 2014. He had a great time and was pleasantly surprised with how safe he felt. Now he is not average and has hunted the world, but he said he'd have no issue going back again.

You ain't gonna get a "7" day lion hunt anywhere except South Africa.

Fair point, I forgot about minimum hunt length regulations. I have no idea what the minimum is for Burkina Faso mind.

I may also be confused with Benin, but I don't think baiting is allowed in BF? So it is walk and stalk, or tracking only. Free range and not fenced, I'd think that adds to the overall challenge and the hunter would certainly need to be in shape.

Your dead right there, it's one of the reasons it appeals.

Good to hear about your aqaintance who hinted there successfully.
I mean it doesn't have to be lion, buffalo (Western Savannah) are intriguing as well.

The pricing is very different to SA and the other more common destinations but from what I gather there is more additional fees to cover.
Come in something like this:
An 8 day buffalo hunt with a Western Hartebeest, a Western Kob and an Oribi with ALL fees (not flights) taken care of comes in at €11,600/£9,900/$13,000.

How does that compare to a buffalo in SA? I'm not spammed up on DG prices simply as I usually can't afford it!

Add all the licenses and fees.
The base rate for a 15 day Buffalo hunt starts at €15900 before trophy fees, etc.
I sincerely doubt that a Lion is coming in under that.

If you are interested I'd ask for a quote and stop the speculation.

Apparently there is ZERO CITES export quota in 2016. They are listed so they must be a party to the convention.

https://cites.org/eng/resources/quo...ear_value[value][year]=2016&items_per_page=50

With lion I don't know but he buffalo price I posted is all worked out from the link in the OP including all the fees they state.

Good idea, I will email them and see what it works out at. All these extra fees can be a little deceiving.

Add all the licenses and fees.
The base rate for a 15 day Buffalo hunt starts at €15900 before trophy fees, etc.
I sincerely doubt that a Lion is coming in under that.

If you are interested I'd ask for a quote and stop the speculation.

Apparently there is ZERO CITES export quota in 2016. They are listed so they must be a party to the convention.

https://cites.org/eng/resources/quotas/export_quotas?field_party_quotas_tid=&field_full_name_tid=&field_export_quotas_year_value[value][year]=2016&items_per_page=50
= $17800 US not exactly inexpensive when you consider airfare is far more expensive than RSA

= $17800 US not exactly inexpensive when you consider airfare is far more expensive than RSA

You're not comparing apples to apples when you say that though. This would be a wild, not farm lion, hunt.

Most wild lion hunts are way, way over $30k.

You're not comparing apples to apples when you say that though. This would be a wild, not farm lion, hunt.

Most wild lion hunts are way, way over $30k.

I will go to bed less stupid tonight.

I will go to bed less stupid tonight.

LOL!

That was funny.... Why we are all here though, to learn. It wasn't too long ago I didn't even know that BF was a country if I'm really honest about it.

So for educational giggles see attached.

$38k in day fees plus $10k for lion trophy fees, and remember that this is before baiting. That hippo and buff aren't really optional.... Others here know a lot better than I do, but I doubt there are many wild lion hunts in Zim, Zam, or Tan that run much less than $80k when you factor in bait, airfare, etc.

Attachments

• 2014-21-day-lion-buffalo-hippo.pdf
    9.8 KB · Views: 152
Retired on a fixed income, never going to happen. I'll have to stick with PG and Namibia or RSA

LOL!

That was funny.... Why we are all here though, to learn. It wasn't too long ago I didn't even know that BF was a country if I'm really honest about it.

So for educational giggles see attached.

$38k in day fees plus $10k for lion trophy fees, and remember that this is before baiting. That hippo and buff aren't really optional.... Others here know a lot better than I do, but I doubt there are many wild lion hunts in Zim, Zam, or Tan that run much less than $80k when you factor in bait, airfare, etc.

Is there a reason why it is so cheap to hunt Burkina Faso?
This site, amongst others, shows very favourable rates. I mean €1450 for a Lion!
http://www.huntburkinafaso.com/rates/packages/

Is it to do with this (taken off UK Gov website)

View attachment 158453

Hi Jimbob,

Burkina Faso and Benin always been less expensive compare to other country especially trophy fee.
Note that Burkina will raise the trophy fee soon. I think it is fair as it gives more value to the animals.
Those prices have nothing to do with safety in the country.
If you hunt with local guide carrying a shotgun single shot for back up you will get a low price. If you hunt with a licensed PH it is going to be more expensive. Your choice.
It also depend of the service provided...
The hunting areas are situated in the south east by Pama, arli and diapaga.
Concerning lion, you can't get it in USA anymore.
You should know that those 2 countries are great hunting place, open, unfenced wild where you hunt buffalo, roan and some unique species from this part of Africa.

Best
Christophe

The lion there typically have smaller manes than you'll find in Southern Africa. I say who cares if that's what you can afford?

But more in general as to why it's a bit cheaper, it's just not the prime destination for the more iconic species. Your travel advisory map may also have a bit to do with the lower prices. Furthermore, near as I can tell there's only two seasons.....hot and more hot. Finally west Africa hasn't been developed and marketed like their counterparts down south.

But I think it would be a grand adventure, so go for it if you're so inclined, but do your research and do not make a quick decision.

@christophe morio, perhaps you can add to the discussion?

Hello Phoenix Phill,

I am not talking about the lions as the quotas are very low per hunting blocks (1 animal) and it is not possible to get it in USA. The last survey of the WAP (all the parks and hunting areas from Burkina, Benin and Niger which is about 2 million hectares) from 2015 shows a population of 400 lions.
You are right when you say it is not a prime destination and the companies are not marketing well. But for me it a great hunting destination. It is wild, remote, unfenced with precious animals like west African buffalo, Roan, nagor reedbuck, harnessed bushbuck that you hunt by tracking, walking. very animal you get is a challenge which is for me the must of hunting.
If one comes with a list, he is making a mistake... Go, hunt, enjoy and you'll get a great experience.
It gets hot in this part of Africa by mid March and April. I don't really care as I am used to it but we make our best to get confortable accommodation with AC or fan in the chalets and ice cube for the drinks when hunters are back from the bush !!!
It is definitely a place to experience.
Best
Christophe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!