Bullets for the .257 Wby mag

I don't have experience with the 117 and 120s, but my hunting partner uses the 110 accubonds in his Weatherby to great effect on mule deer and pronghorn. This is factory Nosler loaded ammo.

Maybe reach out to @One Day... , I believe he has used the baby Weatherby on one of his safaris with great success
Yes, and he took it to Africa with great success. BTW, the 224 Weatherby is the real baby Weatherby :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yes, and he took it to Africa with great success. BTW, the 224 Weatherby is the real baby Weatherby :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
If it ain’t 460, I ain’t interested!

I don't have a 257 Weatherby, but I have a Mark V 270 Weatherby. I've only shot Weatherby factory ammo with 150g Partitions so far. Accurate as hell and chrono'd at 3250 fps. If I wanted to shoot a heavier bullet I'll rebarrel to a Hart or Krieger 1 in 8" twist barrel

I don't have a 257 Weatherby, but I have a Mark V 270 Weatherby. I've only shot Weatherby factory ammo with 150g Partitions so far. Accurate as hell and chrono'd at 3250 fps. If I wanted to shoot a heavier bullet I'll rebarrel to a Hart or Krieger 1 in 8" twist barrel

Krieger....they are in my top 3 as far as barrel manufacturers go. I don't know anything about Hart, I have never seen one in competition. For myself that is all I need to know. Just my .02 and it is probably not worth that much.

My .257 Weatherby (factory rifle) was sighted in with factory Weatherby 100g spire points, which aree very accurate and performed perfectly for pronghorn.

Now, they no longer offer that loading.

I hate to have to switch after I get everything dialed in to perfection.

I guess I will go with the 100g Hornady Interlock, when my inventory starts to get low, if they shoot well in my rifle.

I think I would seek out a barrel with a faster twist, if going to use heavier bullets.

I am soon going to be adding a .257 Wby mag barrel for my R8. After doing a search, I see where the 100gr Barnes is pretty much the “universal“ choice. I have experience with the 110gr Nosler AB and 115gr Barnes TSX in the .257 Roberts and the 100gr TSX out of a .25/06.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with heavier bullets in the .257 Wby? Other than the speed factor, is there a reason not to use a heavier bullet (115gr Barnes TSX, 120gr Swift AF or some other bullet)?
I've used the Nosler 120-grain Partitions in my last 3 .257 Weatherby's .. Along time ago i tried Barnes 100 and Hornady 117gr. I always go back to the 120-grain partition. Accurate and deadly.

I've hunted the 257 Weatherby over 20 years for Whitetail Deer in the Northeast & many Caribou up below the Hudson Bay. I can tell you in my experience the 100 grain Nosler Partition & 100 grain Barns TSX have taken many of both animals. I've taken several caribou with some being out to 400 yards and none ever covered more than 50 yards. I find that for the most part, when under 200 yards it would seem the central nerve system is disrupted and they drop in their tracks. In my opinion the heavier tips could be beneficial if it is windy and or shots are off angle and you want to insure consistent deep penetration. Great caliber! Should straight and have fun!

You know, I called Barnes about those 115gr. TSZ or TTSXs (if that's what you used?) They told me they wouldn't stabilize with a 1:10 twist barrel and that I would have to use their 100gr.? That's when I found some of the Noslers on Midway that were a factory overrun sale. They're actually made for the .257 Roberts as the cannelure is a little higher but a taper crimp will work just fine. Let me know if you want to try them and I'll send you some?
Thanks for the offer but I have a selection of .25 cal bullets to play with.

I've had very good results with a slightly slower .25-06 rifle shooting 115 -120 grain Nosler partitions while hunting whitetail deer and pronghorns. I just purchased a bunch of 80 gr. TTSX for deer hunting, so will be watching this post with interest.

I shoot the factory Weatherby loaded 100gr TTSX out of mine. It's sub 1/2 MOA and its like a laser coming out of the barrel. I've shot mine out to over 600yds and it still hits like a hammer.

I've heard of some guys loading the 131gr Blackjacks with different twist barrels. I've been tempted to ask a buddy to load some for me, just to try, but I don't think my rifle will like them since it didn't shoot the 115gr AB or 120gr Partitions as well as the lighter grain bullets.

I loaded some Barnes 100 grain for my friend's rifle. Thing is a lazer and everything just drops.

I'm trying to get him to let me load him some 90 grain Hammer Hunters, but he's being hardheaded.

Most .257wby barrels are 1:10” some of the old weatherby rifles have slower twist and require the 117gr bullet to stabilize.

Hence why Wby will always offer the 117ge RN factory load - which is a Hornady projectile FYI and good deer and hog round and hits hard.

I would strongly urge the 101gr TTSX long range; it handles the speed and opens up quick while staying together.

My .257 Weatherby (factory rifle) was sighted in with factory Weatherby 100g spire points, which aree very accurate and performed perfectly for pronghorn.

Now, they no longer offer that loading.

I hate to have to switch after I get everything dialed in to perfection.

I guess I will go with the 100g Hornady Interlock, when my inventory starts to get low, if they shoot well in my rifle.

I think I would seek out a barrel with a faster twist, if going to use heavier bullets.
I had my 240wm all set up with the 100gr Nosler partition, but like you said they stopped offering it. Replaced it with the 100gr Hornady Interlock which has a higher BC I have a good supply of both. We’ll see. The NP shots almost identical to 85gr TSX . Which is what I hope the hornady does

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!