Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
I am soon going to be adding a .257 Wby mag barrel for my R8. After doing a search, I see where the 100gr Barnes is pretty much the “universal“ choice. I have experience with the 110gr Nosler AB and 115gr Barnes TSX in the .257 Roberts and the 100gr TSX out of a .25/06.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with heavier bullets in the .257 Wby? Other than the speed factor, is there a reason not to use a heavier bullet (115gr Barnes TSX, 120gr Swift AF or some other bullet)?

I bought 120gr. Nosler Partitions for my .25-06. Haven't reloaded them yet cause I've been shooting up some factory 117gr. Hornady Interlocks.

I bought 120gr. Nosler Partitions for my .25-06. Haven't reloaded them yet cause I've been shooting up some factory 117gr. Hornady Interlocks.
I worked up a load for 115gr Barnes in a .25/06 but never shot anything but paper with them.

I worked up a load for 115gr Barnes in a .25/06 but never shot anything but paper with them.
You know, I called Barnes about those 115gr. TSZ or TTSXs (if that's what you used?) They told me they wouldn't stabilize with a 1:10 twist barrel and that I would have to use their 100gr.? That's when I found some of the Noslers on Midway that were a factory overrun sale. They're actually made for the .257 Roberts as the cannelure is a little higher but a taper crimp will work just fine. Let me know if you want to try them and I'll send you some?

I am soon going to be adding a .257 Wby mag barrel for my R8. After doing a search, I see where the 100gr Barnes is pretty much the “universal“ choice. I have experience with the 110gr Nosler AB and 115gr Barnes TSX in the .257 Roberts and the 100gr TSX out of a .25/06.
My question is: Does anyone have experience with heavier bullets in the .257 Wby? Other than the speed factor, is there a reason not to use a heavier bullet (115gr Barnes TSX, 120gr Swift AF or some other bullet)?
@meigsbucks
I have had great success on pigs and fallow deer with the 117grain Hornady SST at 3,360fps. Devastating on game with massive internal damage. Great accuracy as well, 0.9 inches at 200yds.
I have some 115gn nosler combined technology silver tips loaded to the same velocity that give the same velocity but haven't had the chance to try them on game yet. They group 0.8 inches at 200yds.
Bob

@meigsbucks
I have had great success on pigs and fallow deer with the 117grain Hornady SST at 3,360fps. Devastating on game with massive internal damage. Great accuracy as well, 0.9 inches at 200yds.
I have some 115gn nosler combined technology silver tips loaded to the same velocity that give the same velocity but haven't had the chance to try them on game yet. They group 0.8 inches at 200yds.
Bob
Bob,
If you want to try those 120gr. Noslers I bought, I could mail some to you in a plastic ziplock bag hidden in a tub of Vegemite? LOL
CEH

Bob,
If you want to try those 120gr. Noslers I bought, I could mail some to you in a plastic ziplock bag hidden in a tub of Vegemite? LOL
CEH
@CoElkHunter
Thanks mate but I have enough 25 cal projectiles at the moment. Last count was something around 600.
Bob

There is a member on the Weatherby Nation Forum who swears by the TTSX 80 grs bullets on the 257 Weatherby. He claims that it kills like a Lazer ray. I shoot 100 grs out of mine, and it kills with authority.

I have used several in mine. 117 Sierra, 117 Hornady, 115 Berger. I settled on the 100 TTSX and 120 Northfork for big game. Got sub-moa accuracy with all. The Berger was used for target shooting out too 1000 yards

It is going to depend on the twist rate of the barrel. Run the bullet through a stability calculator, if they are stable you should be good. I wanted to get the same barrel for my R8 to shoot the Berger 133gr. The twist rate will support that bullet.

It is going to depend on the twist rate of the barrel. Run the bullet through a stability calculator, if they are stable you should be good. I wanted to get the same barrel for my R8 to shoot the Berger 133gr. I don't think the twist rate will support that bullet.
Barnes states that the 115gr needs a faster twist but I’ve gotten great accuracy with it out of the Roberts (my go to load) and .25/06 with 1-10” twist.

Barnes states that the 115gr needs a faster twist but I’ve gotten great accuracy with it out of the Roberts (my go to load) and .25/06 with 1-10” twist.

It will probably be fine, your velocity my be able to compensate for the slower twist. When you take it to distance, you may have some issues too. The important thing is, it is working for you. No reason to stop doing what you are.

It will probably be fine, your velocity my be able to compensate for the slower twist. When you take it to distance, you may have some issues too. The important thing is, it is working for you. No reason to stop doing what you are.
Was just looking for actual experience with the Wby. Only been able to shoot the 115 Barnes to 200yds. (Limit at my range)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.