Bullet suggestion for heart / lung shot on Elephant ?

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Jaws, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Any thoughts on Heart / Lung shots on Ele wit a 470NE & 404 Jeff?

I'm planning a father & son ele hunt.
    On previous occasions the vegetation lent plenty opportunity for heart / lung shots, but armed with the .375 I was leaning towards brain / head shots only...a few hairy moments were had.
    I have since upgraded to a .470 NE, the Oldman carried his 9.3x62 for DG, but required an upgrade too so had him his dream caliber, a custom 404J built so he can honestly "cut his own tail" this year

Load development for the 404 have to be done...we are still sourcing components which are pretty scarce here in sunny SA. Solid options are pretty common, but feedback and quality expanding bullets are pretty hard to find. Some shops stock Hornady DGX & suggest it as a quality product :confused: Thanks to this forum I know better (y)

Would it be considered foolish using good quality expanding bullets such as Barnes or Swift for heart / lung shots on Ele for the two calibers ? or should I rather stick with solids only?

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    I believe you'll need to stick with solids. The Barnes or A Frame may get some penetration, but likely not as much as you need.

Jaws likes this.

3. rafaellinne

rafaellinne AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    Stick with solids

Jaws likes this.

4. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Thanks, will stick to solids then.(y)

5. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    check out Woodleigh's hydro static solid or Swift's new solid. these will do more damage then a standard round nose bullet and should still give you plenty of penetration.

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/products/hydrostatically-stabilised

https://www.swiftbullets.com/pages/bullets#break-away

if your unable to get these bullets then you should look for a good flat nosed solid. Peregrine makes some very nice bullets and you should be able to easily get these as they are made in SA. http://peregrinebullets.co.za/

-matt

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      294 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      251.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      192.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      236.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      302 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      264.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      340.5 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      245.4 KB
      Views:
    edward likes this.

6. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Absolutely use solids. Flat point solids (copper or brass) usually give deepest penetration. It's the follow up shots that have to do the work along uncertain tracks. A few more options for bullet choices- Flat point, banded solids are also offered from : GS Custom USA, North Fork, Cutting Edge and Barnes (470 only in FP).

7. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    The Woodleigh Hydro would be an ideal choice. Plenty of penetration for a frontal brain shot and yet does significantly more damage than a traditional solid on heart/lung. I left my unused Hydros (300gr .375) with Grant Taylor and crew in Moz in October (shhhhh - don't tell customs), where they have taken at least two bulls to date.

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    E50BDE15-3CA3-4B6D-8C3A-50D017750D3F.jpeg 3B09E637-4263-4746-BAAE-64503F1E8752.jpeg
    Jaws,
    As Phil said stick with the solids.
    The bullet above (1st photo) is a Hornady DGS bullet that I recovered from the bull in my avatar. The big hole in the (2nd photo) is the exit wound from that bullet which passed from the other side to just under the skin!
    Very little deformity and the weight retention is almost total.
    Elephant skin is very thick as you probably know and punching through it is no easy task for any bullet.
    By the way I used 416 Ruger and the bullet was 400 grain. I recently upgraded to the 470 NE as well and I am looking forward to trying it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2018

9. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    If you reside here in SA use a Peregrine solid , freely available with load data.

I use the solids in my .458 and .470 .

10. Pondoro

Pondoro AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
    On elephant solids are the only way to go..

I have shot 3 elephant with 480 grain DGS bullets (.458Win.) and must say I am pleased with them. All shots were lung-heart (and coupe de grace head shots..).

That .458Win. is to become a .500 Jeffery...not because it is neccesarily needed, but I have an urge to try that round on elephant.

I have stocked up with Hornady DGS ammo in .375H&H (got a bargain) as a reserve rifle during ele hunts. The 300 grain Rhino brass bullet is also very good for elephant in a .375H&H...I used that on my last ele during a night hunt.

A buddy who live in Africa took a frontal brain shot with that Rhino bullet...it passed under the brain and penetrated right through and took the animal in the spine and floored it (!).

In my double .475, I use conventional Woodleigh solids....but the new Woodleigh Hydro get much praise. I think those would be hard to beat in a modern .470..

But be warned...elephant hunting is very addictive....I have become totally fanatic about it..:eek:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    CAustin likes this.

11. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    Solids only for elephant.

Stay away from Hornady or Barnes X for elephant.

It is not that expanding bullets won't get the job done(I have shot elephant with Rhino expanding bullets, broadside just behind the shoulder) but rather that you cannot be sure what shot placement will be presented. A broadside shot turns very quickly into a full frontal head up shot with the elephant staring you down and then you have a problem when loaded with expanding bullets.

In solids the best performing ones are solid brass with a big Meplat(flat front). You cannot get better than the South African made Rhino solids, the Dzombo solids are just as good. Hydros seem to have a good reputation so far but I have never felt the need to change from the Rhinos I use as they have always performed with the utmost satisfaction.

One thing you need to consider is that depending on which double rifle you have bought your guarantee will be void if you use solid brass bullets as opposed to conventional jacketed solids. With Krieghoff your guarantee will be void and with VC not.

If the maker of your double does not guarantee the rifle if you use solid brass bullets your best choice would be either Woodleigh conventional solids or Stewarts solids if available.

12. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Thank you gents, great advice!

For the 470, I have 120 Barnes Bras banded solid flat points (500grn) I will be hand loading & I'm sure they will suffice for either shot placement.
    I think it is pretty obvious that I'm keen on the Barnes products. I have had great success with it in the .375 and like to keep things uniform especially if I consider component availability.

The 404J is the uncharted scenario. I like the suggestion for the Woodleigh Hydro, Now to find a supplier...
    Peregrine would be my second choice. I have made contact with them & ordered some samples.

13. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Thanks IvW, I have the 450/400 & 470NE both VC. Quite frankly I normally consider something bought in SA the same as bought second hand ... waranty & supplier back-up tends to be problematic in general, but a valid point nonetheless.

Will have look at the Rhino bullets, sounds promising.

14. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Yes I am starting to get the itch to elephant hunt again myself.

15. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Since you're in RSA the GS Custom bullets should be readily available. The 450 gr 458 bullet on left was recovered from bull elephant skull after +/- 5 feet ft penetration. It could easily be loaded and shot again. The GS FP Solid design is among the deepest penetrating bullets I've ever tested in wet pack media.

GS Custom FP.JPG

ChrisG and matt85 like this.

16. Travis2282

Travis2282 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Brain shots or heart lung? If it was lung/heart shots did they say how much penetration they got out of this bullet?

17. DWB

DWB AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Lowveld Hunters, BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    There are PLENTY options in RSA for the 404 Jeffery.

Dzombo, Rhino, GS Custom, Peregrine, Kriek, Impala, Frontier etc etc

Drop me a private message if you get stuck.

20180204_202801.jpg
    L to R
    Kriek, Impala, Peregrine, Barnes, Dzombo

ve7poi and Travis2282 like this.

18. Jaws

Jaws AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    wow, the recovered GS Custom bullet look really impressive.

DWB, will take you up on that offer thanks.

19. Travis2282

Travis2282 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Matt have you read any info on the stainless steel tipped hydro bullets that are being tested?

20. matt85

matt85 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, and Namibia
    i haven't heard anything about them but i would be interested! to be honest im surprised no one has made a steel bullet with either copper or brass driving bands. the only reason i dont see it happening here could be legal reasons. perhaps the US gov might consider them armor piercing... god forbid gangsters start roaming the streets with large bore hunting rifles!

-matt

Ironhorse375 and ve7poi like this.