Bullet for the Bisley 480 Ruger

High Desert Hunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
I finally decided on my primary bullet for the Bisley 480, a 395gr FNPB bullet from a Mountain Molds set up.
New Bullet.jpg

The new bullet is on the left, the Lee bullets that I was using is the one on the right, they weigh pretty close to the same, and now I am load testing.

I really like that Lee bullet, it shoots well from my .475 revolvers. Please let us know how the Mountain Mold bullet shoots.

So far I am unimpressed with my Ruger, I am thinking it needs the cylinder throats evened up, even with factory ammo it doesn't group well, my Ruger Bisley 44 Magnum and my Freedom Arms 454 just plain shoot circles around it, they both shoot groups at 50 that I am happy to get with the 480 at 25.

What kind of groups are you getting? How tight are the throats? I only have limited experience with the round in my BFR and its an excellent shooter. Lead bullets must be sized to .475 or owing to tight chamber dimensions, a fat bullet will bulge the case enough that chambering is difficult if not impossible. It shoots a proper sized lead bullet just as well as jacketed. Most of the guys shooting the new Ruger have good luck with its grouping but there have been lots of cosmetic issues and Ruger has seen quite a few returned for service.

Mine went back for cosmetic issues, in particular the front sight base was miss drilled for the front sight blade. The cylinder throats are not uniform, 3 are at .4765, the other two are at .4755. I am going to have Gary Reeder uniform the cylinder and the forcing cone. I would like to get it close to the accuracy of my 44 and 454.

I remember your gun now. I sent a cylinder to Bowen for opening up a while back. Hope it works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you