Bullet Choice for Niederwild and Hochwild on the same hunt...

SaintPanzer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dallas Safari Club; NRA Life Member; Mannlicher Collectors Association
Hunted
USA, Germany, Poland
I'm not sure the "correct" place to post this, but thought I'd ask the question here and see where it leads. If someone know a better place, perhaps we can move it.

I have a hunt booked in May, not in Africa (this time) but in Poland. Primary on the menu is Roebuck, with some night hunts for boar.

The guide has recommended one ammunition type, I'm assuming so we don't have to worry about changing dope between night and day.

My first thought was my Mannlicher M1903 for roe, and M1910 for boar... but the M1903 is in the shop and may not make it back in time. M1910 is a possibility, and I have about a hundred 270 grain Woodleigh round nose to work up a load and hunt with. Scope is also a little small for night use, although thermals are on the list.

More likely is my .30-06. Still kind of overkill for roe, but...

I have time to work up a load. It's not likely I can get away with same dope on both a 120 grain and 165 grain bullets, so I thought I'd ask here for advice on a good "can do both".

As an aside, but relevant: the only powder I have to play with right now is VV N160. I mention this because while I have QuickLoad, I think it would be best to choose bullets that are in the VV reloading manual.

What I was thinking was spending more on a bullet than I should, and splurge on Brenneke TOG bullets, 165 grain. I'm sure they're enough for boar, but overkill on the roe.

So then I thought the TIG bullets, which are 150 grain... better for roe (according to Brenneke), but not quite there for boar (according to Brenneke)?

Most of the Hornady I could choose is not in stock. I had thought I'd seen RWS in the manual, but can't find it now...

One thing I did notice was the Barnes, but I am clueless on lead free bullets. Thoughts on the 150 grain TTSX or the 168 grain TSX on boar and roe? I don't need the lead free, but if it's effective...

Most of the other bullets I see in the VV manual are target, not hunting bullets.

Opinions?

Are Brenneke bullets, in general, something you are already familiar (and happy) with as far as reloading goes?

If so, the 165 gr bonded TOG seems to be a no brainer. Apparently designed to be a tough bullet, but it's still only a 165 grain. Meaning velocity should be high enough to make a difference on the smaller game.

You would be fine on almost any 150-165g expanding hunting bullet you could choose.

If you are hunting with a .30/06, for the game you mentioned, there is no need to spend much money on bullets.

Just find an accurate load for your anticipated distance.

Neither is a eland. A 150-165g cup and core bullet will work.

Myself and a Danish friend travelled to Latvia together some years ago for exactly the same species. He was bringing a 30-06 and I was using a 6.5x55.
His gunsmith suggested 220 grain ammunition for the 30-06. I thought his reasoning was quite good.
A big heavy bullet travelling at moderate speeds puts the animals on the ground with tremendous efficacy. It will punch a hole through the roe with minimal expansion and yet will expand well on a more densely muscled boar. Makes sense to me.
I used 156gr Norma Oryx in the 6.5. Both did the job.
Now being the only English speaking people possibly ever in a small Latvian village is another story.

I’d stick with one load. It’s just easier. Choose a bullet for boar. If it works on boar it will work on Roe too. In 30 cal choose a tougher bullet, it’ll still expand and take down Roe effectively. They are not hard to put down and tougher bullet will prevent unnecessary meat damage. A soft, lighter bullet may not work well on boar and won’t give any advantage on Roe vs a tougher one. I’ve used TOG bullets on boar and roe but they were 270gr 375 ones. Needles to say they worked just fine.

My suggestion - don’t overthink it. Most 165-180gr projectiles out of non magnum 30 cal will work on any game in Poland. For boar a tougher bullet is better, they can be quite tough. Most anything will kill Roe.

Darz Bór!

Thank you all. I have experience shooting the Brennekes, but this would be a new experience reloading with them.

Agree anything that will take a boar will take a roe, was worried about "too much bullet". It makes sense that "punch through" on something as small and light as a roe would still be effective. Last time I was there, I used the same 180 grain RWS HIT bullet on both roe and red stag, and there wasn't much meat left on the roe, which is why I was overthinking it.

At this point, if I could get Hornady Accubond, I'd probably do that, but even the simple is hard to find. Will let you know what I come up with.

Keep it simple, especially if hunting in the dark and mixing up ammo is a risk. One load, one trajectory to worry about.
I get the impression that shots will likely all be at close range, so bullet drop probably isn't a major concern. Monos will work fine but a 180gr in your 30-06 would be ideal.

Accubonds aren't made by Hornady (fortunately) :giggle:

You’re right! I was thinking Interlock, and write Accubond. Shows what happens before I finish my morning coffee.
Both are out of stock.
No juggling of rounds. Guide said to be ready to go to 300, but I think 70 is more likely. Real issue is “right” for boar is what for roe? I’m starting to come around to “punch right through”. Will look again to see what I can find on the shelf.

I would not overthink it, take the best bullet possible for the biggest quarry, being the wild boar. It will function fine on the small roe. Especially for a side on shot there will not be too much meat damage, because there is very little meat to begin with on the ribs.

I shot my first roe buck with a .300WM … it’s what I had. Frontal shot from up shooting down (high seat) the bullet made a hole below the base of the neck and came out through the breast bone. Pretty much 30tal holes, and this was with RWS KS (very soft)

Roe deer just do not have much resistance.

I used the same 180 grain RWS HIT bullet on both roe and red stag, and there wasn't much meat left on the roe, which is why I was overthinking it.

I shoot a good few Roe with 160gr HIT out of 8x57JRS and my experience doesn’t mirror yours. I do not find them overly destructive. Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not doubting what you have seen with your own eyes, I just had a different experience, but every shot is different. Velocity matters I’m sure and my 8x57 is not a speed champion. I think, however, the biggest issue with Roe meat damage is that it is a small, lightly built animal. Hitting any major bone with anything but a small solid (illegal on Roe in Poland) will cause destruction. Behind the shoulder shot is what I choose when possible. Typical size buck in Poland weighs about 20 maybe 25kg, which is what I think a large coyote may push. Or it is rouglhy half the size of coues deer. It stands relatively tall for it’s size owing to longer legs but it is a small creature.

One more thing, the max legal distance limit on any game shots in Poland is 200m. I’m not saying longer shots don’t happen but the limit is legislated.

In my life I shot:
-104 roes, of which 17 with a .30-06 and 65 with a 7 Rem. Mag.
-38 chamois, of which 35 with a 7 Rem. Mag.
I aim just behind the shoulder and I never has meat damage, even using Sierra Gameking 150 grs in .30-06, soft bullet that someone deems as destructive.
Since 2010 I have been loading the 7 R.M with Barnes bullets, without significant damages neither long runs after the shot.

I am hunting Roe and Wildboars mostly with 8x57 or 8x64 using lead free bullets like Barnes TTSX or Hasler.

They are working excellent on both species without much damage. Shooting directly on the shoulder... never had any problems. So 30.06 is definitely a good choice, if you are using a quality bullet...

I'm not sure the "correct" place to post this, but thought I'd ask the question here and see where it leads. If someone know a better place, perhaps we can move it.

I have a hunt booked in May, not in Africa (this time) but in Poland. Primary on the menu is Roebuck, with some night hunts for boar.

The guide has recommended one ammunition type, I'm assuming so we don't have to worry about changing dope between night and day.

My first thought was my Mannlicher M1903 for roe, and M1910 for boar... but the M1903 is in the shop and may not make it back in time. M1910 is a possibility, and I have about a hundred 270 grain Woodleigh round nose to work up a load and hunt with. Scope is also a little small for night use, although thermals are on the list.

More likely is my .30-06. Still kind of overkill for roe, but...

I have time to work up a load. It's not likely I can get away with same dope on both a 120 grain and 165 grain bullets, so I thought I'd ask here for advice on a good "can do both".

As an aside, but relevant: the only powder I have to play with right now is VV N160. I mention this because while I have QuickLoad, I think it would be best to choose bullets that are in the VV reloading manual.

What I was thinking was spending more on a bullet than I should, and splurge on Brenneke TOG bullets, 165 grain. I'm sure they're enough for boar, but overkill on the roe.

So then I thought the TIG bullets, which are 150 grain... better for roe (according to Brenneke), but not quite there for boar (according to Brenneke)?

Most of the Hornady I could choose is not in stock. I had thought I'd seen RWS in the manual, but can't find it now...

One thing I did notice was the Barnes, but I am clueless on lead free bullets. Thoughts on the 150 grain TTSX or the 168 grain TSX on boar and roe? I don't need the lead free, but if it's effective...

Most of the other bullets I see in the VV manual are target, not hunting bullets.

Opinions?
Barnes is about all I use. I am up to 6 hunting calibers using Barnes. There is a danger with "working up a new load" right before a hunt. That is that this new load has not taken any game. You only know how it performs on paper not its actual performance on game. Just keep this in mind and maybe compare notes with others who reload and hunt with similar calibers and bullets.

Always a good idea to shoot Roe Deer behind the shoulder, I use the RWS TM SP 100gr. in my .243W.

Of course that would be too light for boars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!