AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
RSA, Mozambique and Zimbabwe
SAM_0394.JPG
As she stopped and turned, the bolt closed and the shot rang over the open plains….
Yesterday I was back in the field with a young local hunter (16), not for trophy hunting but for a managed “cull” hunt. He took a blesbuck EWE as the land owner needed to reduce his numbers due to the dry season in his area.
The lad hunting had no previous experience as his family do not part take in hunting. So for me as the PH it was a daunting task to make this experience count, as I believe your first hunt shapes you for the rest of your life and will definitely contribute to your outlook on hunting as a sport.
After spending some time in front of the books and computer showing him, the right shot placement needed to take his animal we were off to the range. (Thanks AH for the great images regarding shot placement). We spent a long time shooting from different positions getting the lad comfortable with his rifle and his shooting ability’s. Then the hunt began……. (Photo says the rest)
The point I am actually trying to make with this post is that we get so caught up with dangerous game and inches. That we sometimes forget the humble beginnings and why we actually do it. That smile on the lads face after the animal expired, the excitement in the air. And ohhh the stories around the fire that night……..

:A Camping:
I’m sure all of you can still remember your first hunt or animal harvested? And how that affected you as a hunter?

so how many inches are the horns ??? ;):whistle:(y) ha ha ha bha
good stuff tjoppa
congratulations to the young bloke and yourself ,mate .......
would love to see that smile , he looks a weee bit awestruck and over whelmed............usually just before the smile get imprinted in his face , for the next couple of days .....
that overwhelmed expression is priceless , on a new hunter face , and even greater when a seasoned hunter is overwhelmed, by the experience ............

my first game hunts were rabbits , foxes , and ducks .........still love persuing them ,all

My 13 year old daughter is coming with me to Namibia next month and the PH has offered her a cull springbok if she would like to hunt.

I'm secretly more envious of her doing it for the first time than I am for myself.

Great job getting that youngster out for a hunt. Something a young person will remember for the rest of their life. Life changing in some cases. Thats why so many teachers love what they do. Well done sir. Bruce

I like to see this......introducing the young ones to a good way of life....!!!!

Well done sir....!!!!

My 13 year old daughter is coming with me to Namibia next month and the PH has offered her a cull springbok if she would like to hunt.

I'm secretly more envious of her doing it for the first time than I am for myself.
we leave in less than a week, this is the family's first trip overseas. I'm more excited for my kids hunting than my own

Tjoppa, did you also teach them how to change the landcruisers flat tyre? I received a phone call from the ones father, said it was the highlight of their holiday, keep up the good work....thanks. We need as many young hunters out there as possible.

Nice one Tjoppa!!

Great story ....with great results ! Here in Canada we have a saying " Take your kid hunting and you won't have to hunt for your kid "
Glen

That's a good saying Glen.

What a greta way for a young hunter to start. Well done by both of you!

I hope this is just the start of his hunting career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross