Building MODEL 1917s into a rifle

Bubba

AH member
Reaction score
Greetings, Y`all,
New member and first post here. Ive recently come upon four M1917 sporters that have been shaved of sights, so no collecter value, but are complete rifles. The calibers are .270, 30/06 with original barrel, a 7mm Rem Mag, and an unknown 6mm caliber. 2 are winchesters, 2 are Eddystones. I'm sure this thread has been asked but can't find all the answers. I am looking to make one into 300 H&H, one into 9.3x62, and possibly a .375 H&H. So i have several questions: can i rebore govt 30\06 barrel on one rifle to 300 H&H or will i need a new barrel, even though it is a 1:10" twist on it? I realize boltface and rails will need opening up. My second question is a recommendation for a good smith to do the work. I live in southeast ohio area, near WV and Ky. Thanks to all in advance. Bubba

Welcome to AH Bubba!

Depending of the condition of the bore you may be able to just redo the chamber, in the 1960’s a lot of people rechambered these rifles to 300 Win Mag
Welcome aboard

Welcome to AH.
Someone will have a suggestion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.08.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.08.53 AM.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.09.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 9.09.04 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Bubba. This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

Welcome to AH sir.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to this great forum Bubba! Enjoy the site!

Greetings, Y`all,
New member and first post here. Ive recently come upon four M1917 sporters that have been shaved of sights, so no collecter value, but are complete rifles. The calibers are .270, 30/06 with original barrel, a 7mm Rem Mag, and an unknown 6mm caliber. 2 are winchesters, 2 are Eddystones. I'm sure this thread has been asked but can't find all the answers. I am looking to make one into 300 H&H, one into 9.3x62, and possibly a .375 H&H. So i have several questions: can i rebore govt 30\06 barrel on one rifle to 300 H&H or will i need a new barrel, even though it is a 1:10" twist on it? I realize boltface and rails will need opening up. My second question is a recommendation for a good smith to do the work. I live in southeast ohio area, near WV and Ky. Thanks to all in advance. Bubba

I have sporterized a few 1917s. The one you have chambered for 7mm Rem Mag would, to me, be the most likely candidate for conversion to 375 H&H Magnum. To answer your first question: The one chambered for .30-06 could just be rechambered to 300 H&H (and the bolt face opened up, the magazine box lengthened, and the feed rails reworked, etc.), but I would just leave it in .30-06 because no rework is required, ammo is lots easier to obtain and less costly, especially in Africa, and the H&H doesn’t hold much, if any, of an edge over today’s .30-06 loadings. Plus, the money slated to convert to 300 H&H could be redirected into a high grade stock. The 9.3x62 would just require a barrel change and perhaps some minor rework to the feed rails and magazine.

For a gunsmith, well, there just aren’t a whole lot around nowadays who really know the 1917 Enfield well. However, Ed Lapour does and I can recommend him. See one of his rifles here: http://edlapourgunsmithing.com/custom-rifles/1917-enfield-375-hh-magnum/

CB

Last edited:
Welcome to AH Bubba! Glad to have you on board.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard, and good luck on the rifles

My grandfather had a 416 Rigby made for me when I was born...1917 Enfield action, rebarreled of course...great long cartridge action.

Have fun with it.
RIGBY1-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross