Building a 9.3 instead of a 35 Whelen

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I was working on building a 35 Whelen, for hunting here in here in the States. But after a bit of looking see the 9.3x62 is so similar. Then I would have a good backup DG rifle for the wife.

I was wondering if anyone makes a bullet lighter than 250 for the 9.3 to use in the States for deer. I was planning on using a 200 in the 35.

Thanks for any input.

More will be left over to eat why you need a light weight bullet? What range you talking?

Hi Jamie,

FOX bullets, made in Slovenia, do makes 220 and 250 gr. I have and use the 220 gr. Great Bullets!!!
I don´t know if they are imported into the USA.
But any of the 250 gr made there, Accubond, Barnes TSX or TTSX, and the Hornady GMX are good all around bullets.

Good luck!

CF

I’m pretty sure I just heard @Bob Nelson 35Whelen ’s safety click off.
:eek:
No it was rhythmic throbbing sound of the vain in his forehead bulging out. I’m positive all of us that tease around the edge but don’t commit to a 35 are the sources of his migraines.

Why would anyone want a Whelen when you could have a 9.3x62?

There, that should wake him up!

I was working on building a 35 Whelen, for hunting here in here in the States. But after a bit of looking see the 9.3x62 is so similar. Then I would have a good backup DG rifle for the wife.

I was wondering if anyone makes a bullet lighter than 250 for the 9.3 to use in the States for deer. I was planning on using a 200 in the 35.

Thanks for any input.
Jamie D Van Roekel
Woodleigh makes a 232 grain for the 9.3.
I understand your choice of 9.3 but I do like my Whelen. Ain't no flies on a 225gn Woodleigh or nosler accubond at 2,900fps for most game.
Bob

Agree. The 286 North Fork is a great bullet.

if you have to go lighter, just go to the 250 TTSX.
@baxterb
He wants to shoot deer so no use wasting expensive premiums on them when you can use a standard cup and core. He could even use cast gas check projectiles on them and save more money. They will kill just as well.
Bob

No it was rhythmic throbbing sound of the vain in his forehead bulging out. I’m positive all of us that tease around the edge but don’t commit to a 35 are the sources of his migraines.
@Randy F
@Skinnersblade
I'm not like that, if the man chooses a metric Whelen for good reason I have no complaints and understand his reasoning. I just hope he gets to shoot his dg in the future. If not he is missing out on the magical Whelen. His choice.
Bob

Why would anyone want a Whelen when you could have a 9.3x62?

There, that should wake him up!
@WAB
People want a Whelen because it just gets the job done quietly with no fuss or bullshit plus the cool factor as a lot of people haven't heard of it. It has the opportunity to educate people on the virtue of bigger calibers that don't knock the snot out of you.
Bob

More will be left over to eat why you need a light weight bullet? What range you talking?

I’ll quote a rancher I used to talk to “ferrr as the eye ken see” by the way he was talking about the size of his ranch when I asked were his boundaries were. Lol

The plan is to be a professional backup gun. May be for coyotes, whitetail, could be for eland, or buff.

In other words a “fun gun”. Keep it in the truck and shoot what shows it head.

You should be able to get 27-2800 out of them fairly easily. I would use RL17 and use good loading practices and work your way up looking for the load that gives the best accuracy. the lightest bullet I have loaded for is the 250's so will be interested in your results with the 200-210's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross