AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada (Sask, BC, NWT, Nunavut), US (NY, PA, TX, CO, NE, SD, ID, AK)
This is a bit tongue-in-cheek,, but what do you say?

1651359922037.png

Buff is a great hunt. Go enjoy yourself and talk it all in.
My first Buff went 20 yards and piled up dead. Second buff ate 5 458 Lott Aframes to stay down. Cow took 3 from the Lott.
Will let you know later in May how buff’s 4 and 5 go!!

It does underscore the client's only real responsibility. Put the first shot in exactly the right place and everyone goes home happy to celebrate the kill. Miss that exact spot with any caliber and a client runs the risk of dealing with his conscience for the remainder of his life following the tracker or PH being hammered or worse (it will rarely be the client).

Last edited by a moderator:
More than a few know the origins of this but it applies to Buffalo as well...

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"

Practice, practice HARD and do it right the first time or you may possibly suffer the consequences of being unprepared.

They die easy until they don’t…

I only have experience with four; three died simple enough but the fourth was like a tank that repelled bullets.

I purchased a life-size buffalo target from Safari Press, and have utilized it prior to each trip to run through scenarios. That has served me well.

As I said, three died with little issue. The fourth bull took 6 rounds before coming to rest. The fourth bull was a double; I think the aggravation of shooting and the confusion of losing his traveling partner had his adrenaline surging before the first bullet made contact. It took four rounds for him to even start showing the effects. It’s a little scary when they don’t react!

My sample size is one, it took 9 rds of 416REM 400gr AFrames. First 3 shots were text book, then it was putting bullets where you could. I'm not going to lie when he did not go down after the first 3...I was wondering what I had gotten into. Then it was reload, find your mark and send another round. I was happy I spent as much time dry firing as I did, It paid off. I know talking with people some, a buff can go down with one shot from a 375H&H. Then you hear stories of 12 rounds to bring it down. Until it happens to you, it doesn't seem logical. Needless to say, I now have a 458Lott. Some animals do not have the will to die, they are the ones that leave an impression.

… in Africa, it seems regardless of species but greater in some - each has an extraordinary Will to Fight & Live On.

Proper caliber & quality bullet choice/construction & knowing your Point of Aim is critical medicine to your planning however; the Will to Live becomes the Big Unknown … 1 or 12.

To all after Nyati … enjoy the ride.

Happy Trails

My sample size is one, it took 9 rds of 416REM 400gr AFrames. First 3 shots were text book, then it was putting bullets where you could. I'm not going to lie when he did not go down after the first 3...I was wondering what I had gotten into. Then it was reload, find your mark and send another round. I was happy I spent as much time dry firing as I did, It paid off. I know talking with people some, a buff can go down with one shot from a 375H&H. Then you hear stories of 12 rounds to bring it down. Until it happens to you, it doesn't seem logical. Needless to say, I now have a 458Lott. Some animals do not have the will to die, they are the ones that leave an impression.

I once read a story of a bull that took upwards of 8-10 45 cal. bullets from well placed shots. Maybe even a couple .50 from the PH's gun. So don't rest on the laurels of that lott.

I once read a story of a bull that took upwards of 8-10 45 cal. bullets from well placed shots. Maybe even a couple .50 from the PH's gun. So don't rest on the laurels of that lott.
I'm not, just figured I would step up a little. When you are already over 5,000 foot pounds of energy. I don't believe an extra couple 100 is going to make much difference.

We were told a few weeks before we got there. A hunter had shot a buff 12 times with a 470NE. I shrugged it off as not the best shooting on the hunters part. Not the case, they have some tanks on that property.

I'm not, just figured I would step up a little. When you are already over 5,000 foot pounds of energy. I don't believe an extra couple 100 is going to make much difference.

We were told a few weeks before we got there. A hunter had shot a buff 12 times with a 470NE. I shrugged it off as not the best shooting on the hunters part. Not the case, they have some tanks on that property.

I wasn't being serious. It is truly amazing the punishment they can take.

I saw a video'd hunt where a kid reloaded I think three times with a 375. Up close and personal but it kept getting up.

12 with a 470 is unreal.

Shot the buff in my avater in the neck, with a .375HH, died on the spot.

Was present when a couple of friends shot their buffs in heart/lungs area, one with a .375HH, the other with a .416, both died within 30/meters.

Then, another friend was very nervous when shooing his buff, a beast of 43+, that he hit somewhere in the belly, PH, Asst PH and myself chased the poor animal all over the property and it took us a few shots of assorted calibers to put him down. A disgrace !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you