AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
So I've been watching a few cape buffalo hunting videos on YouTube, and wonder about something. It seems like many of the videos depict the hunter taking the initial shot at a bull while in a herd, with other buffalo behind him. Is this a normal practice, or is my concern about the possibility of shooting through the intended buffalo and wounding others unfounded?

I am sure that you are going to get a lot of responses here but my theory of the shots like that is the cameras angle. From the shows that I have watched the camera man is very seldom directly behind the shooter.

Must be the angle if the camera. It would be very foolish to shoot a buff on a herd as quite often the bullet will travel through the first animal especially if solids are used.
Phs would not allow I suspect anyway.

No PH I know will risk hitting another. Wounded buffalo aren't exactly known for kindness

Camera angle. I would never let a client take a shot where another buffalo is behind or into a herd.

Don't think it will happen on your hunt as others have stated. On my hunt the PH was very careful to assure that I would not shoot another animal.

Glad to hear this is not the norm. I should clarify to say that it does not happen on most of the videos I've watched. Camera angle could explain some, but there still plenty of self made vdeos ( not usually the ones shot for TV) that camera angle or not, they are shooting into a heard. I've seen enough to wonder if buffalo were so tough, a bullet couldn't pass through them, or just a piss- poor decision on the hunter and PH's parts. It sounds like it's the latter.

Screen shots of the herd.
Bull identified as second from the front.
eg 2.jpg

Immediately after the shot.
eg 1.jpg

I asked Aaron about this shot and he explained he saw no issues with his shot.
He's no rookie, and has hunted plenty of Buffalo.

That camera angle sure makes it appear like a double is about to be taken.

@BRICKBURN , first video, that's taking a major risk. There's nothing more than I hate....hunting for the camera!!!

The first video shot taken would have made me very nervous. Once the herd started moving I lost the injured one quickly. Now the second video the bull was far enough forward for a very good shoulder shot.

"Threading the needle" on the first video made me much less concerned than having the buffalo behind the intended target in the second video.

It would be much nicer to have one old bull standing on his own.

I agree BRICKBURN would much nicer to have one lone bull standing on it's own

Guys, although the first video looks like I am "threading the needle" the shooting window is easily 3 feet wide! If one is going to miss the intended mark at 80 yards with a scoped rifle / off sticks, what does it matter if the buffalo is in the wide open, or not? Shooting for the "camera" had nothing to do with it, knowing it was a good shot to take was the entire decision! I took it, and he was down quickly.

The 2nd video / bull was a bit further ahead of the buffalo behind him than it appears on the film. My long-time caneraman was off to my right just a couple of feet, enough to change the appearance at that distance. Regardless, I've shot lots of buffalo - I've never seen a "soft" that hit a bull in the shoulder, and then exited the opposite side, but that's just my experience.

I see a lot of guys on the African forums constantly referring to shooting when their "PH" says to. As long as you understand the anatomy of the animal you are shooting, then shoot when you decide its a good/clean shot. You as the shooter can see better than anyone what your cross hairs are pointing at. You as the shooter can see just as clearly as the PH if the buffalo is at a bad angle, something is obscuring the vitals, etc. As long as you have identified the "correct" animal to shoot, then be confident in your ability. Best way to get that confidence, kill lots of stuff!

Aaron, you have the experience, a lot of other hunters don't and rely on the PH to make the call.

Reactions: cls
I agree the guide should tell the client, which one to shoot, where to shoot him - buff especially, etc. But when to shoot should be determined by the shooter. The shooter knows best when they are ready, what they can see clearly, etc.

I too have guided hundreds of hunters over 25 years, IMO its best to let them decide when to actually pull the trigger. They always seem to shoot better when left to "shoot" on their own, rather than on demand from a voice command.

I agree, I always say when you comfortable shoot.

Guys, although the first video looks like I am "threading the needle" the shooting window is easily 3 feet wide! .........

Aaron, your videos just happened to be the easiest to access and provide a great resource. (there was no criticism intended.)
I would have no problem with taking that first shot. As a cattle rancher buddy said to us once when we showed reluctance in shooting a Coyote between his cattle: "How wide is your bullet?"

I asked you previously about that second video and that is the one that would make me nervous.
A few degrees in shooting angle makes the difference in relation to the camera.. You have the experience with your ammunition and you manage the risk.

I see a lot of guys on the African forums constantly referring to shooting when their "PH" says to. As long as you understand the anatomy of the animal you are shooting, then shoot when you decide its a good/clean shot. You as the shooter can see better than anyone what your cross hairs are pointing at. You as the shooter can see just as clearly as the PH if the buffalo is at a bad angle, something is obscuring the vitals, etc. As long as you have identified the "correct" animal to shoot, then be confident in your ability. Best way to get that confidence, kill lots of stuff!

Great subject. I think I may take this idea into a thread all its own. :S Idea:

I think that most of the time when the PH says "shoot" he is just indication to the shooter that the targeted animal is now in the clear. They may be quite a few hunters that when they have the target in sight with the cross hairs sitting on a spot may not see just what is going on around that animal as far as another one passing behind it.

So when the PH says to shoot to me it just indicated that the animal that I was intending to shoot was clear and it was then up to me as to when to pull the trigger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross