Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Here's an article on a hunting guide in the Northern Territory of Australia & what happens when things go wrong.

10377500-3x2-700x467.jpg Buffalo.jpg

Hunter gored, pinned and trampled by 800kg buffalo near Darwin
ABC Radio Darwin
Posted yesterday at 2:50pm

10377500-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO: Danny Vanbrugh was gored and pinned by a wild buffalo in a hunting mishap near Darwin. (Supplied: Danny Vanbrugh)
A professional hunter from Queensland has described his extreme encounter with an 800-kilogram buffalo in which he was gored and sustained injuries requiring more than 10 rounds of surgery.

Danny Vanbrugh, who has been leading hunting tours for more than five years, was hunting in a secret location south of Darwin when the incident occurred.

Mr Vanbrugh had shot the beast and believed it to be dead as he tracked it into heavy grassland.

Hunter gored by 800kg buffalo

Danny Vanbrugh has a life-and-death Territory tale to take home after a crazed beast tore out his bicep.

"He went into thick scrub and he sort of came down from the side," he told ABC Radio Darwin's Adam Steer, describing the moment the buffalo caught him unaware.

"One horn went up the right bicep, tore the right bicep out.

"[Then] he just came back up to me and drove me into the ground and bruised my back and kidneys."

Pinned by the beast, Mr Vanbrugh seized an opportunity to escape when the buffalo's horn flicked him into the air.

A fellow hunter then shot the beast before applying a tourniquet to Mr Vanbrugh's heavily bleeding arm and embarking on the two-and-a-half-hour journey to the nearest hospital.

PHOTO: It's estimated the beast weighed about 800kg. (Supplied: Danny Vanbrugh)

"The boys kept me there, kept me pretty calm and gave some fluids to me," Mr Vanbrugh said.

"I was going into a bit of shock; there was a fair bit of pain there."

As he entered the third week of his recovery, Mr Vanbrugh issued a warning to other hunters.

"I've had close calls before, with charges and things like that, but I've never been attacked.

"Don't go in after a wounded animal. Wait an hour or so and then go in.

"We rushed it a little bit."

He said he intends to have the animal's horns mounted once he has recovered.

Attachments

• 10377514-3x4-340x453.jpg
    10377514-3x4-340x453.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 185
Patience is a virtue even when hunting. Pause and give the bullet time to do what it was designed to do.
Everyone thinks once you pull the trigger, it’s done.

Yes Ridgewalker I agree.
One thing I have learnt over the years is never assume anything.

Murphy’s law - if anything can go wrong, it will.
The guide is very, very lucky not to have been killed.
I am curious as to what he shot the buffalo with in the first place or his client.

Glad he survived.
Fortunate man indeed.

@Ridgewalker. You are absolutely correct! I believe that at least 2 of my 9 lives were used up with my buffalo adventure.
The words this PH used about his buffalo attack, were the same ones my PH uttered after my close call with black death

No idea where this spot is Ben
I guess he’s very experienced but just got a bit complacent
Just shows all of us that we have to be on a focused guard at all times
I’m writing soon for Baz500 about getting complacent
Watch out for it

Dangerous game for good reason. Buffalo anywhere in the world are dangerous even more so once wounded. Its always the dead ones that inflict the most pain.

@Ridgewalker. You are absolutely correct! I believe that at least 2 of my 9 lives were used up with my buffalo adventure.
The words this PH used about his buffalo attack, were the same ones my PH uttered after my close call with black death

Would love to get a link to the story, please! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber