AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Cameroon
Could any members with experience hunting “wild managed” buffalo in South Africa give me their thoughts on their hunts? I see a lot of reasonably priced/much easier travel buffalo hunts advertised in South Africa, but I am wary of South African buffalo hunts because of some of the practices that occur there. My concerns in South Africa are 1.) put and take hunting 2.) known buffalos/hunting only a specific bull 3.) lack of a real hunt. I really hate seeing youtube videos of nothing but bulls in an area or a herd of buffalos eating hay and I especially hate it when I see a video of persons hunting a herd with ear tags. I hunt for the experience, not the trophy. I have taken 1 buffalo free range against Kruger and I have a hunt planned in Zimbabwe in 2021. I know good hunts exist in South Africa, if you could provide me some details of your experiences I would appreciate it.

My concerns in South Africa are 1.) put and take hunting 2.) known buffalos/hunting only a specific bull 3.) lack of a real hunt.

This is going to be interesting thread, because I am looking for a buffalo hunt in the future, and South Africa is one of the options.

We share the same concerns.

Based on my research so far, I am open minded following quite a lot of quality South African buffalo hunt reports on the forum.
As I keep a look at all times for buffalo hunts offers, for the future, my basic guidelines to follow are: size of hunting area, the bigger the better, price, and no trail of negative hunt reports.

Thats my way of thinking at the moment, and I will be following this thread with great interest. Thank you for starting this subject.

Could any members with experience hunting “wild managed” buffalo in South Africa give me their thoughts on their hunts? I see a lot of reasonably priced/much easier travel buffalo hunts advertised in South Africa, but I am wary of South African buffalo hunts because of some of the practices that occur there. My concerns in South Africa are 1.) put and take hunting 2.) known buffalos/hunting only a specific bull 3.) lack of a real hunt. I really hate seeing youtube videos of nothing but bulls in an area or a herd of buffalos eating hay and I especially hate it when I see a video of persons hunting a herd with ear tags. I hunt for the experience, not the trophy. I have taken 1 buffalo free range against Kruger and I have a hunt planned in Zimbabwe in 2021. I know good hunts exist in South Africa, if you could provide me some details of your experiences I would appreciate it.

1) 90% plus of buffalo hunts in SA will be put and take. the time frame between put and take may be 1 day to 5 years, but most buff operations work on buying young bulls and let them grow up on farm, or by replenishing mature bulls as they are hunted.
2) the real cheap options are normally the ones where you hunt a specific (only?) bull, and if you read the fine print, its for a specific size trophy which may or may not even be present on property
3) It really depends on who you hunt with, there are a couple of great SA outfitters that offer real hunts on buff on this site, and there are a few that you are better off hunting a cow in Texas

A few pointers:
If a trophy bull buffalo hunt is less than 10-12k USD, it is likely problematic. You get what you pay for...
No matter how big the property is, ask the outfitter if there are cows and bulls on property, and what is the ratio? I know some have a small breeding herd of cows (less than 20), but then has 80 plus bulls on property. (Sometimes even on adjacent farms.)
Make sure about the "upgrade" options, as some of the cheap hunts are designed to get you here, then you don't see a bull in the class you booked, and forced into an upgrade
A general rule of thumb, if the property is at least 7 500 acres big, it could be fun
Stick with the well known guys. Anyone, and I mean anyone can sell you a cheap buffalo hunt. Even the guy that just finished his 10 day PH course...
Reputable outfits, refuse to do these kind of hunts, as our reputation is worth more than one quick hunt

Now, just a few other comments... I have hunted buffalo in South Africa many times, and will again. Even on places that carry only bulls. It can be a great experience if done right, and it tends to be 30 % less expensive than a "wild" buffalo hunt. There are hunters that I prefer to take to SA for a variety of reasons, health, their spouse may want something more luxurious, time constraints etc. But if you are reasonably fit, are happy with decent accomodation, and want to really hunt a buffalo, rather consider Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia or Zimbabwe. Especially if it is your first or possibly only buffalo hunt.

1) 90% plus of buffalo hunts in SA will be put and take. the time frame between put and take may be 1 day to 5 years, but most buff operations work on buying young bulls and let them grow up on farm, or by replenishing mature bulls as they are hunted.
2) the real cheap options are normally the ones where you hunt a specific (only?) bull, and if you read the fine print, its for a specific size trophy which may or may not even be present on property
3) It really depends on who you hunt with, there are a couple of great SA outfitters that offer real hunts on buff on this site, and there are a few that you are better off hunting a cow in Texas

A few pointers:
If a trophy bull buffalo hunt is less than 10-12k USD, it is likely problematic. You get what you pay for...
No matter how big the property is, ask the outfitter if there are cows and bulls on property, and what is the ratio? I know some have a small breeding herd of cows (less than 20), but then has 80 plus bulls on property. (Sometimes even on adjacent farms.)
Make sure about the "upgrade" options, as some of the cheap hunts are designed to get you here, then you don't see a bull in the class you booked, and forced into an upgrade
A general rule of thumb, if the property is at least 7 500 acres big, it could be fun
Stick with the well known guys. Anyone, and I mean anyone can sell you a cheap buffalo hunt. Even the guy that just finished his 10 day PH course...
Reputable outfits, refuse to do these kind of hunts, as our reputation is worth more than one quick hunt

Now, just a few other comments... I have hunted buffalo in South Africa many times, and will again. Even on places that carry only bulls. It can be a great experience if done right, and it tends to be 30 % less expensive than a "wild" buffalo hunt. There are hunters that I prefer to take to SA for a variety of reasons, health, their spouse may want something more luxurious, time constraints etc. But if you are reasonably fit, are happy with decent accomodation, and want to really hunt a buffalo, rather consider Mozambique, Namibia, Tanzania, Zambia or Zimbabwe. Especially if it is your first or possibly only buffalo hunt.

Great advice Karl, although I think you should mentioned the prefer caliber hunting African Buffalo with is a 404 Jeffery shooting a 450 gn premium bullet at 2250 f/t at close range so you can see yourself in the reflection of the Buffalo`s eyes(y):LOL:

No matter how big the property is, ask the outfitter if there are cows and bulls on property, and what is the ratio?

What is the natural ratio of sexes in naturally breading herd in the wild?

Certainly it will be different in game managed areas, but this is to have something to compare.
Thanks!

Read as many reports as possible. Unfortunately, best hunting areas that yields the best experience and best prices are mutually exclusive. Especially when it comes to hunting Cape Buffalo.
An animal that was born on a large property from a self sustainable herd, requiring 10+ years to live off the land will demand a higher price than an animal bought at an auction for price A, and sold for price A+B. Simple economics.

Unfortunately in todays time, we have too many Buffalo shooters, and not enough Buffalo hunters.

Hello sir,

Karl answered most of your questions with what I would have said in anyway so no need for me to repeat the answers.

As Marius mentioned above, the exclusive proper and bigger areas in South Africa does not come with the $8k safari price tags... I have a few large areas where you definitely work hard for your buffalo and you take a proper old bull and not a 5 to 6 year old bull with a true hunting experience.

If you are in good shape you will track and work for your buff to a point of frustration sometimes! haha But that is what hunting is about and the whole experience around hunting buffalo the right way!

I will send you a PM with some information.

All my best,

Jacques Spamer

Last edited:
I agree with the comments above by Ndumo Safaris. I would add that the upside of hunting managed game--whether buffalo or any other species--on the big game ranches of SA is success rate. When you live in the U.S. and have only so many days and dollars to spend on flying half way around the world to hunt, the success rate, I think, offsets the "wild land" aspect of hunting in some of the other countries. Also remember that if you are hunting on a managed property in SA that is for example, 10,000 acres, that's more than 15 square miles. You still have to find the bull, stalk him and make your shot. When I took my bull in 2018, we looked for three days before spotting him. They are pretty good at hiding in the bush. It was a fun hunt.

I agree with the comments above by Ndumo Safaris. I would add that the upside of hunting managed game--whether buffalo or any other species--on the big game ranches of SA is success rate. When you live in the U.S. and have only so many days and dollars to spend on flying half way around the world to hunt, the success rate, I think, offsets the "wild land" aspect of hunting in some of the other countries. Also remember that if you are hunting on a managed property in SA that is for example, 10,000 acres, that's more than 15 square miles. You still have to find the bull, stalk him and make your shot. When I took my bull in 2018, we looked for three days before spotting him. They are pretty good at hiding in the bush. It was a fun hunt.

I agree with you completely sir. Unfortunately South Africa's reputation have been ripped by uneducated people entering our industry, people that does not have enough experience in the industry and what to offer. In their minds taking a buffalo off a truck in a 1500 acre pin is not a big deal as that is how they grew up.... In my mind it is a COMPLETE NO, I personally will never have my clients take any dangerous game off a truck as that is not what hunting dangerous game is about! But these guys operating like that does not know any better and nobody ever thought them differently, it does not happen that much anymore but it only needs to happen once on a video and our reputation is gone as South African outfitters. I think you get my drift on what I am trying to say here.....

Luckily not all of the areas and operations in South Africa operate this way but all of us are being judged under the same blanket.... If I can say it that way lol.

If you hunt with a reputable outfitter that has proper areas you will have a great safari and you will have a option of many bulls in a area and not just one specific bull that you have to chase around for days. This in my opinion makes a huge difference in the hunting experience for the client. We all have a picture of our dream buffalo bull in our heads, if my client is on the sticks and he tells me that he would rather look for a different bull that might have more character, a bit wider or bigger bosses we leave that specific bull and go look for some other bulls!

We as outfitters can provide whatever the clients needs and expectations are but in my personal capacity I love hunting and I love to do it the right way so I will hunt in areas with my clients where we have the opportunity and "luxury" to pass on bulls and go look for others if we need to do so.

This makes a safari exciting and obviously offers a client a opportunity to take excellent trophies!

Last edited:
Ndumo, JKO, and KMG thank you very much for your answers. I’m glad to see outfitters have concerns about some of the same practices I do.

I just have to mention that on our concessions for wild buff in the Caprivi, I will give anyone's money back if he does not have ample opportunity for a shot on a very good buffalo. You will see plenty of buffalo, not always easy to shoot, but if me or my PH's does not get you into a shooting position, its our fault and you will get compensated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl is spot on. I have hunted buffalo in 6 countries. The most developed area I have hunted was Klaserie, a Kruger reserve. The rest have been true wilderness hunts. I have had to hunt hard, but I have always been presented with the opportunity to harvest a mature bull. Do not shy away from a bush hunt in an effort to improve your odds. Be in shape, shoot well, use one of Africa’s great PH’s, and have the adventure of a lifetime!

The buffalo cow depicted in my avatar was hunted over two hunts first hunt was 3 days 60km on foot and could not get a clean open shot on a dry old cow. Went back 4 months later and got lucky after a 7km stalk on day one. Area was close to Kruger but not adjactend to Kruger. The buffalo understand lion and hunting they are awake and the area is not that big but the Mopane is thick and you have to get close.
So shop around and ask for references there are places that will fit what you are after another question to ask is if the buffalo get hunted on a regular basis or is it a once off management take off and the buffalo are use to humans.

If you can Ndumo Safaris would be a great chance on getting a really old bull and you will be able to choose from more than one.
I have also read and heard about some good buff hunting in the eastern Cape on large tracks of land where finding them is your biggest hurdle.

My opinion: Anyone member who want to hunt a wild buffalo, you really have a lot of choices with companies/members of our forum..like Ndumo,/JKO and many other Hunting /Safari outfitters here on the forum , answering our questions about concerns about a hunt you want to do...I would suggest let us hunters make a point there off to only use the outfitters on our forum for hunts ...this is the place where you have the opportunity to voice your concerns....why do you want to look around for other outfitters/PH who is not a member on our forum??? I am sure outfitters /PH members of our great forum will cater to your needs and we will the first persons to know about your hunt and see it all on your feedback... (y)(y)(y)(y)

.....another question to ask is if the buffalo get hunted on a regular basis or is it a once off management take off and the buffalo are use to humans.

^^^This^^^ (y)

I really would encourage our members, let us make a point/dedicate our selves /focus to only use our owns outfitters on this forum..this will ensure you will not have any disappointing hunting experiences at all...I really think this is a fail -safe option that makes financial sense as well as give you piece of mind to know the financial investment you made is a save investment that will give you great returns when completing the hunt , an experience always to remember...In the same breath I would encourage the members on our forum who are Outfitters/PH to get more involve in catering for our forum members , it will be a win, win situation ...(y)(y)

The buffalo cow depicted in my avatar was hunted over two hunts first hunt was 3 days 60km on foot and could not get a clean open shot on a dry old cow. Went back 4 months later and got lucky after a 7km stalk on day one. Area was close to Kruger but not adjactend to Kruger. The buffalo understand lion and hunting they are awake and the area is not that big but the Mopane is thick and you have to get close.
So shop around and ask for references there are places that will fit what you are after another question to ask is if the buffalo get hunted on a regular basis or is it a once off management take off and the buffalo are use to humans.

If you can Ndumo Safaris would be a great chance on getting a really old bull and you will be able to choose from more than one.
I have also read and heard about some good buff hunting in the eastern Cape on large tracks of land where finding them is your biggest hurdle.
That’s a good point on regular hunting versus a once off management hunt. The picture in my avatar is actually in karl’s area. It was an own-use hippo tag while I was hunting with Jamy traut safaris across the river. We saw numerous buffalo and the buffalo in their trophy shed were really impressive old bulls. The reason I asked about South African hunts is because I don’t know how all this covid-19 drama will work out for me and I’m thinking for time constraints South Africa may be a better choice for me in future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!