Buffalo Hunt in the Northern Territory Australia ended very badly

That’s a fair point, Sir, and all the times I’ve been in frightening situations I was wishing I was better prepared or had better equipment.

And then there are the times I just quickly need to answer the call of nature and duck into the bush, only to have buffalo appear close by - poor things must be traumatised! I bet Paul can relate!

Yes, I can certainly relate to that.

I was "treed" several times in my camp as was one of my cooks once.

Quite often at night buffalo would feed right through the middle of my camp.
Knowing this made some people uncomfortable, I would leave my tent, sometimes only armed with a flashlight and chase them away. Quite a few times cows with calves would bluff charge to close range, leaving me quite shaken before going back to bed.
Once whilst alone in my camp I awoke to see a bull feeding only a couple of meters from the thin fly-screen mesh of my tent. I can tell you I was pretty quiet for quite a few moments before picking the right time to spook him to get him to run away.
I killed more than a few buff for the local community when bulls would come down the main street to feed on kelp and seaweed on the beach.

Encounters are common and sometimes these encounters result in someone or something getting damaged badly.

Nothing I have seen posted here would change my personal perspective of hunting buffalo unaccompanied.

Should something happen, my bad luck. It is what it is.

I must say congratulations to your daughter
Thanks Doc! What can I say- I'm a proud Dad! (y) Woodleighs have used this picture in their advertising.

You have just given me an idea - living here in SA elephants are not hard to find . I think my next challenge will be for me to take my single shot falling block Martini Enfield 303 and hunt an elephant , but no worries I will have my Glock 19 , 9mmP on my side loaded with 17 rounds of FMJ - I think I will be OK .
Ha! Ha! That’s great! Just make sure you’re using 220gr solids in your .303! And I would use 147gr hardcasts in your 9mm, but then again, I don’t own a 9mm?

Yes, I can certainly relate to that.

I was "treed" several times in my camp as was one of my cooks once.

Quite often at night buffalo would feed right through the middle of my camp.
Knowing this made some people uncomfortable, I would leave my tent, sometimes only armed with a flashlight and chase them away. Quite a few times cows with calves would bluff charge to close range, leaving me quite shaken before going back to bed.
Once whilst alone in my camp I awoke to see a bull feeding only a couple of meters from the thin fly-screen mesh of my tent. I can tell you I was pretty quiet for quite a few moments before picking the right time to spook him to get him to run away.
I killed more than a few buff for the local community when bulls would come down the main street to feed on kelp and seaweed on the beach.

Encounters are common and sometimes these encounters result in someone or something getting damaged badly.

Nothing I have seen posted here would change my personal perspective of hunting buffalo unaccompanied.

Should something happen, my bad luck. It is what it is.

The local wildlife can get you about anywhere. People in Florida don't walk around with bang sticks for the gators . It is what it is

I used to bow hunt black bear in California. The rules were you could NOT have any firearm with you when you were bowhunting. However dang near every black bear bowhunter I knew carried a concealed handgun in case things went seriously awry. The game wardens seemed to agree because they never asked if we were carrying and they never checked. Any game stops were all about licenses and tags. Firearms were never mentioned but we all knew everyone carried. I distinctly remember the occasion I made the decision to consciously violate the law. It was getting dark fast and we were helping another hunter track a bear he'd shot about 30 minutes before dark. I was on my hands and knees crawling through and under some thick brush following a blood trail. I remember thinking what in the heck am I gonna do if I find a wounded bear in here and all I have is a hunting knife? After that I always carried a 1911 45ACP in my pack. Just in case.

Small California black bears are nothing compared to a buffalo. Any kind of buffalo. I don't know what the game laws are in Oz but there's no way I'm bowhunting anything anywhere that can eat, gore or crush me unless there's a gun handy somewhere. Just in case.

I also agree with the comments about not criticizing these hunters. If they're willing to put it all on the line for a truly wild experience, good on 'em. I'm not that bold these days but I absolutely support the choices of others even when it turns out badly. To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt at least they were in the arena.

Partially agree with you Bonk... Hell if someone wants to take a bear or buff on with just a pen knife then go for it... but it's the aftermath and the media that the family and the hunting fraternity have to deal with. We all want to prove ourselves... but sometimes our own actions have far reaching consequences.... But I do admire someone who wants to go old school...

you can still prove yourself with an adequate backup handy.
sometimes it pays to think things through in advance.
prepare for the worst and hope for the best is always a good adage.
as clint eastwood said in one of the spaghetti westerns (the one with the undertaker and the coffins) "a mans got to know his limitations"
bruce.

Can a nonresident bring a handgun to Australia and use it?
You can bring most Rifles and Shotguns in, but no you cant bring your own Handgun in for hunting.
But in the Northern Territory Police firearms regulations an International hunter after Water Buffalo, Scrub Bull, Banteng etc can use an Outfitters Handgun to hunt with. We have a few 44mags and 454 Cassul 7.5" for hunters, also 4 5/8" barrels with solids for guide carry as (last) back up.

Re that bowhunter with no rifle backup, its done often and I'm amazed a bowhunter hasnt been killed yet, once adrenaline sets in on a huge Buffalo (etc) they can only be stopped by a big rifle or tough bullet into brain. Otherwise fast tree climbing skills needed I guess.

Ages ago, in 2 weeks, 2 bow-hunts, we had 2 charges stopped by 458WM at 5m and 8m.

I also agree with the comments about not criticizing these hunters. If they're willing to put it all on the line for a truly wild experience, good on 'em. I'm not that bold these days but I absolutely support the choices of others even when it turns out badly. To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt at least they were in the arena.
I agree bonk, however, if a guy is gonna live dangerously, then every so often it will actually be dangerous and wont end well.

My first paid client 24 years ago was Dr Adrian De Villiers from RSA, in that week I learnt a ton about bowhunting all game, and skills I use today on all hunts. Every year we only have about 1or2 bowhunters, and that challenge of getting closer is great, any messed up stalks just adds to the excitement... and the heart beats harder up close.
Short story.., when I decided to buy my first DG Bowtech bow, I practiced and practiced at lunch time at camp. An American hunter had his lovely trophy Buffalo down, and just wanted to relax, read and watch birds etc.. a calm no rush fellow, very thankful in surviving a cancer scare the previous year. After watching me practice, Mike was ok to back me up on my first DG bowhunt... we found a huge scrub bull, and at 80yards I said you stay here and if I come running back with a scrubber after me, shoot it..!! It was only low brush towards the small creek the bull was feeding on green pick. With my leafy jacket and camo paint I got to 32 yards, but I decided to crawl/shuffle to a tiny bush 2 foot high... it now ranged at 23yards, perfect... but I was a bit shaky... no 416 or 458 in my hands.. I drew, settled and did a very good double lung shot... from experience I knew to immediately reload and get another shot in if you can.. (rifle or bow) as that may be the difference in a short hunt or very long hunt. At impact the bull spun around 180', and I drew and fired quickly, but I saw my arrow hit the huge neck instead of the heart lung area, terrible (I had forgotten to use my peep sight).. damn..The bull ran into the river bed, thashing its head around to fight the enemy, it zoomed here, and zoomed there.. then stopped in the malalueca tree shadows at about 50 yards, snorting blood... then it charged straight at me.... Oh my god... How did he see me...!! I was getting up to start running for my life, when the bull dropped dead in a pile of dust about 25 yards from me. It turns out he wasnt charging me, just a mad death rush.
When Mike my protector came wandering over, I asked him to unload, but he was still empty.!!

that man is a jack wagon, i would not even go to a berger king with him, let alone on a hunting trip.
I heard a shot before he unholstered his pistol. If you look closely you can see it. I think the guide really took the buf down and Thompson fired some as insurance. Damn fool trick, anyway, going after a buf with a stick.

Man, there are some righteous attitudes here. I probably should exercise some of the common sense referred to here and not respond, but then I was also a bowhunter in my youth. I’m both a safari client (blessed) in a humble way as well as a local lad. It’s difficult to describe the risks we take every day. I don’t carry a rifle when I walk my dog or take the rubbish to the bin outside the yard - I just try to be observant and careful and see the buffalo first and from a distance, avoiding blind spots and thick cover. The word “back-up” has been mentioned numerous times here in relation to the crossbow. I don’t know these guys but I can tell you what the situation did not involve. It did not involve one guy saying to the other, “Hey, I’d like to hunt a buffalo with my bow. Would you please guide me and protect me with your crossbow?” It was just a case of two guys setting-out on an adventure (that became a misadventure) with their archery gear, similar to what happens in North America in bear country (yes, some bowhunters carry a firearm, but many don’t). In the bush you have a mindset of doing what you can with what you’ve got. I was once threatened by a tremendous buffalo bull and all I had was a .22-250. Thankfully both me and the bull and the other guys survived the encounter, but when I told the story a particular safari hunter from the city was quite judgemental about the rifle I was carrying. Of course I should’ve planned it better, but I was out with my Aboriginal friends trying to find kangaroo, turkey or pig, and at the time the .22-250 seemed like a good choice. I’ve tried to learn from my mistakes and modify my behaviours to stay as safe as possible while still living life. But that doesn’t mean I don’t find myself in tricky situations from time-to-time. At present I don’t have a big bore rifle, and I feel uncomfortable without it. I will still take my wife fishing and bird-watching, carrying my .300H&H, but I know that isn’t ideal for close surprises - so we walk carefully and try to set a course away from blind spots. We live with the nagging reality that we could be killed or injured each day. We try to be sensible and careful, but accidents can still happen. If ever something bad happens to me I can guarantee it will be because I made a mistake that armchair quarterbacks can enjoy dissecting. The bloke in Gove made a mistake. Ian Gibson made a mistake. Everyone who lives in the bush makes mistakes no matter how hard you try not to. Sometimes you have some luck and sometimes you don’t. So I’m not going to join-in with kicking this guy while he’s down. Of course, your mileage may vary and you have the right to voice different views.

On a related topic, it’s worth researching what Bill Negley thought about bowhunting with rifle back-up, and also reading some of Don Thomas’s articles from when he was bowhunting on Melville - not to prove anything, but just to consider another viewpoint (a viewpoint that I never adopted myself as a bowhunter, but respected theirs). I may be wrong, but I thought there was an old ABA rule that stipulated members need to have a back-up rifle present when bowhunting buffalo, a rule ignored at least 50% of the time (my guess).

So, I probably should’ve kept quiet, but then I probably don’t have the brains to, as evidenced by the two times (or three?) that I found myself uncomfortably close to wonderful bull buffalos with only my longbow in hand - long story! Cheers!
The next time you board a commercial airliner, ask the Captain if he agrees that it's acceptable to "make a mistake" and share that you understand that "accidents can still happen". I can tell you that after 33 years of military flying that that attitude is "not acceptable".

The next time you board a commercial airliner, ask the Captain if he agrees that it's acceptable to "make a mistake" and share that you understand that "accidents can still happen". I can tell you that after 33 years of military flying that that attitude is "not acceptable".
The attitude in flying might not be acceptable but it is ingrained as acceptable in the commercial world these days. Just from reading I find pilots these days are not taught stall recovery from all attitudes, only nose high slow airspeed. This training apparently has led to at least 2 crashes of airliners, going by a couple of TV documentaries and write ups. Planes were not in a high nose attitude so pilots ignored the stall warning.

So if pilots are not trained in all things relating to safe flying how is it that taking risks endangering only yourselves is unacceptable?

What I am trying to say is drawing a parallel between commercial/military flying and some blokes endangering only themselves is a big ask. Also the two bow hunters were probably looking for a bit of an adrenaline rush-I don't know just speculating- something you might have done as a young pilot doing some loooow level flying. :D Mind you I will take the extremely low level flying over hunting a large dangerous animal with bow any day.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg