Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI Nordic Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hi folks
We are 3 hunters that had booked buffalohunt in Mozambique, the place where we are hunting is Quatado Luabo, I don't know anything more about the area.
I wonder where in Moz is this, I can't find the place on my maps.
We are going to be picked up at Jo,burg and driving by car with one night in Kruger N park.

Have some of you hunted in that area? and is it good?

Who are you hunting with?

Can't help you on the hunting information. Perhaps this will help you get further information.

Hmmm.
"Coutadas" have numbers in Mozambique. Closest Coutada to the town you note.

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 8.38.42 AM.png

JNB to Luabo
That is a pretty long drive. The blue line is the driving route suggested by Google. 24 hours of driving. Who knows, I've never done it.
Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 8.29.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 8.18.27 AM.png

This is Coutada 10. Some proximity to Luabo.
Cuotadas 11, 12 and 14 are closer.
Screen Shot 2018-06-16 at 8.10.36 AM.png

Who are you hunting with?
I`m hunting with Jaco Strauss at Kwalata Safaris, but it`s Hardus van Zyl that have the blocks.

I don`t know the blocks, I don`t like that it`s close to Beira, because of the huge pouching in the Beira area.

But hopefully I`m wrong.

Last edited:
Looks like you will be hunting one of the Delta Coutada's (concessions), but I can't imagine driving from Johannesburg to hunt the Delta. The drive from Beira, Mozambique is bad enough, and several outfitters offer charters from there rather than drive.

Most of the Delta concessions have very large quotas which the owner usually can't possibly fill. Therefore, they often have a business relationship with another couple of outfitters to whom they sell tags. That sounds like what your outfitter is doing, and it is a very common practice. For instance, the two buffalo I took with Grant Taylor's Mashambanzou Safaris were taken in Coutada 14 which is actually owned by Tony Wicker.

But driving from Johannesburg ………. ?!?

I don`t know the blocks, I don`t like that it`s close to Beira, because of the huge pouching in the Beira area.

If you are just hunting Buffalo in the Delta I think you should be just fine on the poaching angle.

Det area we are going to hunt is 70% bushveld and 30% swamp, Hopefully I get the number of the area.
I`ve sent a request for the number.

I`m hunting with Jaco Strauss at Kwalata Safaris, but it`s Hardus van Zyl that have the blocks.

But hopefully I`m wrong.
You will not have a poaching problem with which to contend with respect to buffalo. No one goes into the marshes except hunters (probably should say no one is crazy enough to go into the marshes but hunters!) Plains game in some of the boundary areas get snared, but all the outfitters are very aggressive policing their concessions.

The only organized poaching gangs are trying for elephant. Unfortunately, the parks seem to take the brunt of that.

If I may offer a suggestion or two.

- If hunting the marsh, DO NOT wear shorts. The razor grass will slice your legs to ribbons and the muck will cause an infection. I speak from experience. I wore shorts my first day in the swamp. Never again! Long rip-stop trousers tucked into a high top canvas boot (what we in the military called a "jungle boot") are ideal.

- Be prepared for Tsetse Flies. If you are riding in the back bed of the vehicle they will work your legs over badly. I always hunt in shorts in Namibia and almost always long trousers in Moz.

- The Savanah/Woodland terrain is beautiful - and unlike much of the RSA and Namibia very few thorn trees or bushes. However, be prepared to not see as much game as you would in the RSA or Namibia. It is not so much to lack of density as it is the species in Mozambique - none of which tend to hang around in big herds in the open.

Have a great hunt! Though I still can't even imagine a drive from Johannesburg ….. Just the drive from Beira to Coutada 14 is more than six hours.

I got answer from my outfitter:
The area doesn't have a number there's only Coutada 1-16 as registered pre-war the rest has names and we are hunting on Coutada Luabo. I doubt if you would find anything on the maps on the Internet as there are over 60 registered blocks in Moz and barely 20 you can find on the maps. The easiest is the look where C14 is and Coutada Luabo are just on the northern side of the Zambezi all the way to the ocean

Looks like an interesting area. The north side of the river is generally drier than the south side. You may very well be able to take your buffalo in that region without having go wading in the muck for him. Will you be hunting any plains game as well? The Roosevelt Sable don't get as large as their fenced cousins on the game farms of the RSA, but they are very challenging to hunt. You will also be in the natural range of the Nyala, though not all concessions will contain them.

But hopefully I`m wrong.

Jaco hunts a couple different places in Moz. One of those areas is close to where another outfitter I know hunts. That outfitter leaves from Hoedspruit in RSA and drives through Kruger park to his area in Moz. That area I believe is just a bit north of Kruger park closer to Gonarhezou. I would guess this is where you're headed and would not be in one of the Coutadas.

I know that Jaco is hunting i the Gaza region, we had booked our hunt with Jaco and Hardus in Cabassa safaris i Luabo, I found out this morning actually I got a mail from Hardus that tell me that we are going to hunt on the North Side of Zambezi near C14 and out to the coastline.
We had 3 options, first we should hunt in the Gaza region, then we got the 2nd in the Niassa region and finally we ended up in Coutada Luabo, I was not sure wich side of the Zambezi or how far inland this block were situated, before I got this mail from Hardus.
A question apear, is there som of you guys that hunted on that side of the Zambezi, It`s is dryer than farther south in the delta, I`m told that it`s 70% dryland and 30% swamp, abd Hardus and the guys haven`t hunted in the Swamp yet.
I`m not afraid of the swamp. I hunt where I can get the buff with proper size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg