Buffalo Facial Hair

COSA

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Besides age, what factors contribute to a bull losing it's facial hair (climate, habitat, etc)? Seems like even old bulls from SA retain more facial hair. Is there a certain area one would hunt for this type of old, ugly bull?

I’ve noticed that as well with the buffalo from waterberg park in Namibia. I know some of them are very old bulls but don’t have the hairless face like other areas. They originated from South Africa in the 80s. It must have something to do with original genetic pool of disease free buffalo.

Honestly though most bulls are getting taken before they get to that stage. Hard bossed and old aren’t the same thing. If you want an old bull with a white face I’d look for areas managed on lowest quota and best anti-poaching. Park areas in Caprivi are first thing that comes to mind. Seems a lot of very old bulls come from Bubye Valley conservancy. Free range areas against Kruger have some ancient bulls. Here is my bull from Dande East in Zimbabwe. My PH thought 11 or 12 years old, at 13 or 14 would have lost even more hair.
A6A3A391-843E-4AB9-89CF-03ED6AC16FDF.jpeg

Stress from the cow buff has been known to cause premature hair loss

i would say its a genetic thing
i have seen young buff with white hairless faces
also a factor could be a lack of certain vitamins or minerals in the vegetation in an area

Nice buff all around.

Have a look at this article:

Facial hair loss is definitely an indication of old age, but can also be caused by mites and may have a genetic component as well. In my opinion, hair loss is more pronounced in dry areas where buffalo have to travel more for water and feed, than in "easier" areas. Have a look at this bull as an example, easily 12 to 13 years old, but no hair loss. Then in second photo a bull from the same region, about the same age (although both horns are broken), but with more facial hair loss. I personally love these old rugged warriors.

4c1a7299-c674-4b9b-822f-be945bf83d63 (2).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-16 at 21.09.47.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve noticed that as well with the buffalo from waterberg park in Namibia. I know some of them are very old bulls but don’t have the hairless face like other areas. They originated from South Africa in the 80s. It must have something to do with original genetic pool of disease free buffalo.

Honestly though most bulls are getting taken before they get to that stage. Hard bossed and old aren’t the same thing. If you want an old bull with a white face I’d look for areas managed on lowest quota and best anti-poaching. Park areas in Caprivi are first thing that comes to mind. Seems a lot of very old bulls come from Bubye Valley conservancy. Free range areas against Kruger have some ancient bulls. Here is my bull from Dande East in Zimbabwe. My PH thought 11 or 12 years old, at 13 or 14 would have lost even more hair.
@375Fox where did you get the info that the Cape Buff on the Waterberg came from South Africa ?
Not saying they didn't come via SA but I remember I was doing research on the Buffalo there as I like a certain look for Cape Buffalo with a more square snout & nose (also the wide spread of horns) which I see more in the East African Buff & the only other place was the Waterberg Buff of Namibia .

Any way it was a while back & not 100% sure now but I think a certain tribe or chief was chased off the Waterberg range & some animals killed off & these were replaced or some deal done with a lot of the Buffalo that were of East African blood line, hence all the huge Bulls there ?

Must see if I can find that info again or if indeed it was that ?

Yes one research paper says Addo National Park in South Africa & that is where half the Buff in SA come from in the disease free zones !

Im sure the other research paper said East African blood but that could be wrong info.

Last edited:
@375Fox where did you get the info that the Cape Buff on the Waterberg came from South Africa ?
Not saying they didn't come via SA but I remember I was doing research on the Buffalo there as I like a certain look for Cape Buffalo with a more square snout & nose (also the wide spread of horns) which I see more in the East African Buff & the only other place was the Waterberg Buff of Namibia .

Any way it was a while back & not 100% sure now but I think a certain tribe or chief was chased off the Waterberg range & some animals killed off & these were replaced or some deal done with a lot of the Buffalo that were of East African blood line, hence all the huge Bulls there ?

Yes one research paper says Addo National Park in South Africa & that is where half the Buff in SA come from in the disease free zones !

Im sure the other research paper said East African blood but that could be wrong info.
it lists the buffalo sources here, looks like a few of East African origin came from a zoo but primarily from addo

Most came from Addo in RSA.
11 came from Willem Pretorius game reserve 1985 1986(Also Addo blood)
4 came from a Czech zoo of East African origin also in 1986
The mix seemed to work out quite well.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg