Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA Canada, RSA, Argentina, Namibia/Caprivi
My wife is always complaining about how much I spend on hunting and hunting related items. But if you really want to hit her piss off button all you have to say is taxidermy? I can't help myself, I love the mounted stuff on the wall. Anyway, I wanted to have a way to display my buffalo and elephant tusks together. After looking at cabinets and pedestals I decided that I could build something myself that I would like better than anything I had seen.
First step was to get a material list together and check prices. I told my frowning wife that I could save some serious dollars by doing it myself. Most of the readymade cabinets were around six tension a bit and I headed to Lowe's. I grabbed everything I needed and headed to the check out, that will be $152.00 Sir? hmm, must have miscalculated somewhere.
After arriving home, (without mentioning that I went slightly over budget), I fell to it with a hammer and saw. I felt inspired, as only a truly gifted artist can be inspired and decided to use a native sand stone veneer. Then, with another flash of genius, I decided to incorporate the outline of the African continent in a different color sand stone. I only burned about $40 worth of fuel to find the right color stone.
I know, I know, there seemed to be a lot of genius flashing going on, but I was still flashing. What if I used a dark grout for the Africa rock? Now that would make it stand out. Wait, I'm not through yet. What if I used a tan grout and the red rock? That would make it like a giraffe coat. Once you get the flashing started it can be hard to turn off. Back to Lowe'sfor $25 worth of grout.
All things considered, I think it turned out pretty good. My wife seemed impressed that I was able to create such a lovely display for only fifty bucks, well, she didn't exactly say lovely. I told her I missed my calling as a premier interior designer. She said, yep, a freaking redneck interior designer? I have to run now, I've got to get to the mailbox to intercept the credit card bill. Here is a couple of pictures of my creation.
watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
great mounts etc...:)

Very Original well done.

Nicely done !

Flashy!
That red rock sure does remind you of the red ground I ran around on.

Nice compromise on the budget. I know you earned huge points for the next hunting bill. :)

ps. send the cc statement to the office.

love it when a flash of genius strikes...someone else..

Very good job

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm slowing down on taxidermy so I only owe money to two taxidermists now:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice comments. I'm slowing down on taxidermy so I only owe money to two taxidermists now:)
I used to dislike Euro mounts. They are now more beautiful than I ever dreamed.

very nice work

Very nice work! send me your phone number and I'll call your house and say Taxidermy 3 times and you post back and let us know if she rips the phone off the wall. LOL

Thanks for the offer Bob, but I seem to be able to get her ripping mad without anyones help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois