Buffalo Charge

prodgers

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Cameroon, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand.
Hi everyone, I thought I would share this clip with you. I am sure you will all enjoy it. I filmed this buffalo hunt not to long ago with Peter Tam from Tam Safaris, bull was wounded and we followed up. This is what unfolded, could you make the shot count?

What has been your most "hairy" moment in you're hunting career?

For me it was not knowing if I had really put my lioness down. I shot here through both shoulders but then had to get in front of her for shot number two! The land owner made a comment that I shall never forget ......" She knows who shot her and she is looking right at you".
That sure got my best attention to the situation!

For me it was not knowing if I had really put my lioness down. I shot here through both shoulders but then had to get in front of her for shot number two! The land owner made a comment that I shall never forget ......" She knows who shot her and she is looking right at you".
That sure got my best attention to the situation!
That sounds pretty nerve wrecking ! And very true, those big cats know exactly who shot them. Especially the females! Hunting a lioness is more nerve wrecking for me than hunting a big male. It is just incredible how flat a lioness can make herself in the grass. Thanks for sharing!

That was quite bizarre to see a Buffalo coming at them from such a distance. It looked like he was headed to the lucerne!
When he picked up speed and you panned out you got a better idea of the intentions.
Wished I could see the second shot.

That will provide a pretty good record for the hunter.

Thanks for sharing.

I have only had close encounters with Bears. Grizzly and Blacks. No charges, just close encounters (6 yards).
I hope to keep it that way.
My first Buffalo ran away. He did not like the arrow in his side. :) He was scared of the crazy man with the bow. :ROFLMAO:

That was quite bizarre to see a Buffalo coming at them from such a distance. It looked like he was headed to the lucerne!
When he picked up speed and you panned out you got a better idea of the intentions.
Wished I could see the second shot.

That will provide a pretty good record for the hunter.

Thanks for sharing.

I have only had close encounters with Bears. Grizzly and Blacks. No charges, just close encounters (6 yards).
I hope to keep it that way.
My first Buffalo ran away. He did not like the arrow in his side. :) He was scared of the crazy man with the bow. :ROFLMAO:
Hi Brickburn, yes what happened was we could see him moving in our direction from a small vantage point and we tried to ambush him. He ended up walking straight towards us and not past us as we anticipated. As soon as he saw us he was not happy, as you can see. This was due to being wounded the previous day.

Bears are pretty large animals, 6 yards is as close as you will ever want them I am sure!

Turned the ambush back on you. That's an interesting twist.

Sometimes you don't get to see them coming. :)

a fantastic bull
and perfect shots;well done.
Lucky you,that you've seen him a long time.
It seems ,that he was searching you or someone.
Imagine this guy attacks you in thick cover.......
Where was it and where was the shot-placements ?
Foxi

Thanks for sharing! that is great footage that is rarely captured..... this video illustrates exactly why you need a professional hunter by your side when hunting buffalo, the client would not have stopped that buff!

Thanks for sharing! that is great footage that is rarely captured..... this video illustrates exactly why you need a professional hunter by your side when hunting buffalo, the client would not have stopped that buff!
Maybe I'm missing something here but to me it sure looks like the client putting a shot into the head at the end. It was a slow follow up for sure and def makes the case for double over bolt, or more practice perhaps, but I'm pretty sure it was the client who finished it

That's one nutty buffalo, never seen a buffalo come like that. I think the ph's shot did the damage, he was going down before client shot second shot, guess the fourth shot was more insurance.

That's one nutty buffalo, never seen a buffalo come like that. I think the ph's shot did the damage, he was going down before client shot second shot, guess the fourth shot was more insurance.
Simon,
Good point, didn't notice him going down just before the head shot. That's what I get for watching without sound, never knew the PH shot before him. I think even without that shot he would have gotten him though. It would have been close for sure but he got a solid head shot in.

Thanks for sharing the video!

@Albert GRANT , I also didn't watch it with sound, went back and watched with sound. Without sound total different picture.

There was two shots in the spine right next to each other and one shot just above the right eye. Pretty good shot at the end considering the distance and the movement from the client. But, Petrus you are absolutely right about having an experienced professional hunter by your side for a buffalo hunt (or any dangerous game for that matter). Makes a big difference to the quality of the footage too!! Since I'm not carrying a shooting stick it helps to have someone who knows what he's doing in front of me. (y) Peter Tam is definitely a good choice! This took place up near Kimberley, South Africa.

Il share some more videos soon! Thanks for watching.

a fantastic bull
and perfect shots;well done.
Lucky you,that you've seen him a long time.
It seems ,that he was searching you or someone.
Imagine this guy attacks you in thick cover.......
Where was it and where was the shot-placements ?
Foxi
Initial shot a little bit high on the shoulder, follow up shots- first one right in the centre of the chest, 2nd in the spine (frontal) , 3rd under the right eye, 4th in the spine. Yes I filmed another charge in Mozambique in 2012 where we followed up on a wounded buffalo as well and he came from thick cover right in front of us. Pretty surprising but it all ended well with two well placed shots from an experienced professional hunter. Its pretty rough when you don't know where they are coming from.

Exciting ! Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross