AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
......for a close shave
A buff in bad shape, in thick cover.
And the hunters survived.
Shoot straight and stay your ground.
Lighter said than done.
Respect.
Foxi

Takes a pair of balls to stand your ground :)

Super stuff...

When you have to step aside to keep the buff from rolling over you....

Calm, cool, and collective! It seems the best thing to do is wait until he is close for a spine shot in the neck and shoulders area. What does everyone know about the best plan and where to aim in this situation? I am sure some of the PH's on here can comment on this.
Regards,
Philip

Between the eyes, but the way he had his head down, I would have gone just below the base of the horns.........in truth you just pray you hit the S.O.B.......

I would prefer the way of Usain Bolt and good shoes (from Ferrari):A Outta:

Schuhe.jpg

Here the text from youtube:
"C Patrick & J Dell'Oca were following up an injured Buffalo Bull and were charged at close range. The Buffalo charged from approx 20m and covered this distance in 2.56 sec. It was shot at 3m using a .450 Rigby rimless and .375 H&H. This buffalo had a badly injured back leg and had to be destroyed as it was a danger to people in the area. This clip is provided for educational purposes for hunters and guides walking in areas where dangerous game occur."

Last edited:
@Foxi , I will put lead in your shoes........just in case you faster than me...

My question is: Just how does one prepare for something like this? Obviously, one must have some sembalance of guts, but is there any "training" as far as shooting skills go? Or is it as TMS said....just shoot and pray you hit the SOB!!???

My question is: Just how does one prepare for something like this? Obviously, one must have some sembalance of guts, but is there any "training" as far as shooting skills go? Or is it as TMS said....just shoot and pray you hit the SOB!!???

SAAM Training covers this. I learned a lot!!!

The SAAM school at FTW ranch does train you on charging buffalo. But when they are on you at 3 yards I don't know where to aim!
Hope to hear from experienced PH's on this question. 1 month till I go on safari for buffalo so it's on my mind!
Regards,
Philip

Oh and that is my cousin. I'm much better at reloads than he is. :)

@Mr. 16 gauge , I think years of practice. @Royal27 that's a neat looking shooting range. You beat me to the reloading comment. Learn to keep your rifle shouldered when reloading.

@Philip Glass , the best advice I can give you on your buff, is be confident with your shot, don't take the shot unless you confident. All ph's have different views, I personally don't like the frontal shot, I like him broad side and bust his shoulder up. If you do have to do a follow up on wounded buff, if you got time for 2 shots, take a quick snap shot, but your second shot wait for him as close as your nerves can hold, take clear aim and squeeze....hopefully we will read your report in a months time..

@Mr. 16 gauge , I think years of practice. @Royal27 that's a neat looking shooting range. You beat me to the reloading comment. Learn to keep your rifle shouldered when reloading.

@Philip Glass , the best advice I can give you on your buff, is be confident with your shot, don't take the shot unless you confident. All ph's have different views, I personally don't like the frontal shot, I like him broad side and bust his shoulder up. If you do have to do a follow up on wounded buff, if you got time for 2 shots, take a quick snap shot, but your second shot wait for him as close as your nerves can hold, take clear aim and squeeze....hopefully we will read your report in a months time..
I agree with Simon.
All the best.
Witold

Thanks, Royal....that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for!(y) Unfortunately, I shoot at a state run range, so needless to say they don't have those kind of facilities.....but it does give me some ideas.
What type of rifle is your cousin shooting?
The other concern I have is safety.....I've seen a lot of gun barrels sweep a lot of PHs (or at least it appears that way) on a lot of videos, esp. those were follow up of DG is being shown.......I don't want to be one of those guys!!!!!!(n) I want to be ready, but I also want to be safe.....I don't want to be more of a threat than whatever it is we're following up.......

16, you spot on about the barrels, I am often more worried about the swinging barrels than the wounded animal.

What type of rifle is your cousin shooting?

CZ550 in .416 Rigby.

He was getting used to the longer bolt stroke and hadn't shot that particular rifle a ton (and sure hadn't reloaded under stress) before the class.

So if you want to know why someone shouldn't take a brand new rifle to Africa, there you go! The class gives you a chance to get all of your equipment sorted out.

Another example of that is shooting sticks. I took my own and had made them too short, but didn't realize it. After the class I lengthened them and I will be danged, my shooting off sticks improved dramatically!!!

Cool heads !

I would have fired alright, but probably still get hit after slipping in the "democrat" I would have launched at the same time I fired! Great video!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you