AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to all members. Here is a short tutorial of how I make buffalo horn grip caps for hunting rifles.
A few photos of making buffalo grip caps:
Step one:
Draw a ellipse according to the desired shape and measurement on a piece of paper, paste on a thin piece of metal plate and cut out, use this as your template:
20140326_123544_1.jpg~original

Step two:
Cut out shape with band saw:
20140326_123708.jpg~original

Sand along the lines of the profile, make sure the sanding work is done to a smooth surface for correct router work.
20140326_124014.jpg~original

A few examples I did :
20140326_123446.jpg~original

Usually the dimensions of a grip cap on a custom build hunting rifle stock is standard, especially if you use a duplicator and decided on a specific profile/pattern.

Johan Greyling is keeping with a specific stock design since he is building .404 Jeffery rifles and 8x68S rifles on order. I do make two dimensions , a large and medium elliptic design I draw to fit the grip of the rifle stocks.

I am currently at stage one , making the grip caps, stage two will be polishing the grip caps and sand down to required thickness. However there will still be some finishing work be needed after the grip caps are secured to the rifle stock.

I still need to see the end result , that is why I want to build myself a .404 Jeffery rifle stock with a buffalo grip cap and fore end as in the examples shown in the pictures. The fore-end is going to be difficult since only a portion of the Buffalo horn at the ends have a solid and broad enough piece to fit as a fore-end of a rifle.

I still need to get a price for these caps. I will upload some photos of these caps when polished.

Had some time to make a few Buffalo boss horn grip caps ..these grip caps really have a rugged surface and will look beautiful on a rifle..
A nice piece of buffalo boss horn:
1O5E315.jpg

6SncrRG.jpg

5HG04O5.jpg

Sanding down the bottom part :
8dvm66T.jpg

Tracing the final shape"
rJ6Pbq5.jpg

Flat sanded bottom:
2cVopJD.jpg

A few pieces cut to form ready to be sanded to shape:
KjV8G83.jpg

Close up of a buffalo boss grip cap surface:
NRNxZeS.jpg

n5CdHUy.jpg

pjQUfS8.jpg

r67D4F6.jpg

A few completed:
eLHPc86.jpg

Attachments

• rJ6Pbq5.jpg
    rJ6Pbq5.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 203
  • r67D4F6.jpg
    r67D4F6.jpg
    1,015.8 KB · Views: 205
  • pjQUfS8.jpg
    pjQUfS8.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 198
  • NRNxZeS.jpg
    NRNxZeS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 198
  • n5CdHUy.jpg
    n5CdHUy.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 211
  • KjV8G83.jpg
    KjV8G83.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 241
  • eLHPc86.jpg
    eLHPc86.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 20140326_124014.jpg
    20140326_124014.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 20140326_123708.jpg
    20140326_123708.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 20140326_123544_1.jpg
    20140326_123544_1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 20140326_123446.jpg
    20140326_123446.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 8dvm66T.jpg
    8dvm66T.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
  • 6SncrRG.jpg
    6SncrRG.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • 5HG04O5.jpg
    5HG04O5.jpg
    963.5 KB · Views: 272
  • 2cVopJD.jpg
    2cVopJD.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 222
  • 1O5E315.jpg
    1O5E315.jpg
    943.9 KB · Views: 236
Very nice.

Thank you for the positive reply, it is much appreciated Phoenix Phil..here is a photo where you can see how rough the texture of the buffalo boss horn is...
XGIHNoS.jpg

Attachments

• XGIHNoS.jpg
    XGIHNoS.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 220
Love this!

Nice work Gert!

Great to see you going ahead with these projects Gert.
A couple of things I do that mght help you is to make a Suplimentary top for the bandsaw out of mdf and this has helped with the very small pieces not getting stuck in the wider bade slot of the bandsaw table. I also cut the buffao horn in strips or at the least oblongs that suit the size of the cap and this allows my to cut the piece to a common thickness and simplifies later work with them. Takes a steady hand but well worth the time it takes for the help on the finished cap.
Are you going to make them as a common thickness with just slightly rounded edges or are you going to shape the edges via files or a router

Thank you members, it really s nice to get positive replies in this regards. Garry, these particular buffalo boss horn pieces have an extremely rough texture/surface..I will spoil it`s appearance if I have to router the edges as I did with previous buffalo horn caps...with smoother surfaces...the thickness I will leave as is with a flat sanded bottom..hunters/rifle builders who order these buffalo grip caps will have to final fit it to the rifle stock they build ....if requested I can cut a smoother surfaced buffalo horn and router the edges so it will be a final fit project..(y)

And I appreciate you taking the time to load and post the many photos.
Sambarhunter, I am a sucker for uploading many photos, I love taking photos to enhance a topic or description in a post...the more photos the the better the explanation...:A Banana:

Love this!

Nice work Gert!
Thank you Dave , yes, I really like to work with this type of natural materials like buffalo horn and Giraffe bone as well as with our beautiful indigenous woods like Tambotie, Wild Olive and the Combrethum species of wood that have excellent qualities.
Giraffe bone and Lebombo Yster hout:
wJcrK56.jpg
eLNo5kk.jpg
1O5LAFc.jpg

Attachments

• wJcrK56.jpg
    wJcrK56.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 195
  • eLNo5kk.jpg
    eLNo5kk.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 1O5LAFc.jpg
    1O5LAFc.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator:
Good, I spend today some time on making/cutting/sanding more buffalo boss horn grip caps:I will be completing a few more this coming week..then I have to polish every grip cap..will upload photos of the finished product.....(y)
teYzj9p.jpg

Attachments

• teYzj9p.jpg
    teYzj9p.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Spend some time today to polish some of the grip caps ..tomorrow I will take a few of the polished ones and router them...just to see how it looks...keep in mind these grip caps are way to thick at this stage..but I want to leave it as is since the person who order them can tailor fit it himself if he wanted to..
hVPGJRI.jpg
AWfErr1.jpg
8Skadh4.jpg

Attachments

• 8Skadh4.jpg
    8Skadh4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 178
  • hVPGJRI.jpg
    hVPGJRI.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 204
  • AWfErr1.jpg
    AWfErr1.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 174
Wow, beautiful work!

....excuse my ignorance, but what do you use the Giraffe bone for and why?.....some pics?

Roger

I appreciate your participation and questions regarding the buffalo grip caps and Giraffe bone..the front legs of a Giraffe is actually not bone as you and I know it..it is ivory ...this ensure the Giraffe to be able to drink water in bending his two front legs and absorb a lot of tonnage and weight on the front legs ..this is why the front bones are made from ivory to be stronger than normal animal bone like that of a cow or other animals...the ivory bone structure is extremely thick as well...you can color the Giraffe ivory bone and use it as great looking knife scales or handles . Knife scale handles are the most popular items made of Giraffe bone ...inlay-work and rifle sight ivory beads is another product
PSpyip2.jpg

suUXuvw.jpg

B0hJsix.jpg

Attachments

• suUXuvw.jpg
    suUXuvw.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 237
  • PSpyip2.jpg
    PSpyip2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 221
  • B0hJsix.jpg
    B0hJsix.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
Last edited by a moderator:
It is enjoyable to watch a master at work.

Thanks for the thread Gert.

Thanks Gert, that was something I obviously didn't know.........like the old adage.......if you don't ask, you don't find out....

Roger

Wheel
It is enjoyable to watch a master at work.

Thanks for the thread Gert.
Wheels, good to hear from you again, Wheels, no not a Master at work, just a simple student trying my hand at things that interest me, and when I encounter a difficulty I turn to the knowledgeable craftsmen like Von Gruff or at home my mentor friend Johan Greyling. I found that cutting the Giraffe bone on a table saw works just great..it cuts as smooth as a hardwood type I use for knife scales , it does not burn at all while it is being cut..this enable me to cut thin slices as well. No need to cut it only with a band saw.It is hard work cutting Giraffe bone with a band saw . The buffalo boss grip caps is another material I use to cut on the table saw...although using a band saw minimise your chances to trim your fingers while cutting so close on a small piece of buffalo horn material.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: Another knowledgeable crafts man friend of mine Ian Mills whom always have a simple answer /solution to difficult questions gave me some enzymes I now use to clean the sinew /left over meat from the Giraffe bone ..the enzymes really eats away every piece of morsel and left me with a beautiful clean piece of Giraffe bone to work with.

Last edited:
I assume that the giraffe bone would have the same import/export restrictions as ivory?

Roger

I do not think Giraffe bone will be considered as "ivory" since there is not a market for it as "ivory" except by knife makers.another issue is that I do not think it can be processed like the carving fraternity in the orient use it..any natural material you want to ship to other countries need to go through customs..some countries like Australia I know is extremely strict in this regards. I have previously send natural materials to New Zealand ..customs did quarantine and fumigated it for a considered amount of money to the owner who received it.
I will like to see what differences there are between Ivory and the Giraffe bone ...if I get hold of a licence piece of elephant ivory I will cut it , process it and take some photos upload it for discussion , it would be quite interesting. Let me see what I can do...(y)

With those enzymes cleaning the giraffe bone, maybe we wont have to go through the fumigation process this time Gert, although I expect they will do it as a matter of course with the bark on the buff horn being thier main issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross