Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA,Oregon Hunters Assoc.
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe, Australia, Mozambique, Namibia, Canada & South Africa
My wife and I and another couple are headed to Australia in mid May to hunt Buffalo and Scrub Bulls. First we are going to the Great Barrier Reef, does anyone have advice on a place to stay in Cairns or Port Douglass?

Bashaw

G'day Bashaw, congrats on taking the plunge with your hunt "down-under", let me wish you all the very best of success on your hunt and I hope your visit to our wonderfull country meets with your expectations.

With regards to staying in either Cairns or Port Douglas may I advise, if you have the time , try and spend at least a couple of days in each as they are quite different.

Cairns is a fair sized City, great beaches, golf courses, tourism options etc, whereas Port Douglas is still a quaint, small sized sea-side resort, with all the same ammenities only on a smaller scale.
(If you happen to be in Port on a Friday night, make sure you drop in to Macrossans Hotel for a few quiet ones and some live music).

For accomms in Cairns visit;
Travel: Cheap Flights, Hotels, Holiday Packages & Car Hire | Expedia.com.au

(There are some fantastic off-shore, blue water fishing oportunities whilst in Cairns, including game fishing charters whilst your wives are spending all your money in the jewellry, clothing and suiveneer shops !)

The Mirage Port Douglas is indeed very "flash" and extremely opulant, if that's your (or your wive's) thing, with a lagoon that surrounds the Motel/Resort and a competition grade, 14 hole, golf course.
Ofcourse, you don;t have to spend that much, for more options visit;Port Douglas Info.com - Port Douglas Accommodation, Activities & Info
Whilst in Port you can visit the Miranda Markets (up in the rainforest hills, you'll need a hire car) or your within a stones throw of the Daintree River (National Heratige Listed) and only 28 miles from the reef.

Either way both towns have their own appeal and are definitley worth the visit.

Safe travel and best of luck on your hunt,
Paul Truccolo.

are we going to need to rent a car or is there other modes of transportation?

thanks for the info you have given me so far

Eric

Hi Eric.

It will all depend on how much time you have and just how much you actually wanted to see.

If you are staying in Cairns and wish to day-trip to Port Douglas, some of the Hotels offer shuttle/coach buses, but if you wanted to do your own thing you will need a rental. Port is near on 100 km's from Cairns (just on an hours drive) along one of the most scenic coastal roads in Australia.
If you are simply staying in Cairns and not travelling beyond, Cairns City is well serviced with cabs and public transport.
If you are simply staying in Port, the town is small and most ammenities can be achieved by walking or catching one of the cabs they have.

Hope this is of some help.

Paul.

Whilst in Port you can visit the Miranda Markets (up in the rainforest hills, you'll need a hire car)
Paul Truccolo.

Just a small correction here Paul, the markets are a Kuranda, not Miranda, and to add to that, you can catch a tourist train to Kuranda from Cairns and take the Skyrail (cable car) down over the rainforest canopy to the bottom station and then take a bus back to Cairns.
I highly recommend this option, the view of the coast and to be able to look down into the rainforest is pretty special.

Thanks John, correction duely noted and apprecaited.

Also, thanks for the additional info, your suggestion of taking the skyrail back down sounds well worth while, have not done that one myself.
Ofcourse there are many other tourism options available to anyone visiting Far North Queensland, than those mentioned here, making a visit to the region well worth while.

Thanks again,
Paul.

I made it home we had an awesome time I killed 2 nice Bulls and my buddy killed 1 nice Bull. Andrew Mackay showed us a heck of a good time He's a hard working son of a gun, good cook and a great host.

Sound like a good hunt...do you have any pictures to share?

I made it home we had an awesome time I killed 2 nice Bulls and my buddy killed 1 nice Bull. Andrew Mackay showed us a heck of a good time He's a hard working son of a gun, good cook and a great host.

yes I do I need somebody to refresh my memory on how to put them on here

Thank's Jerome

P1010545.jpg P1020510.jpg P1020443.jpg P1020414.jpg

The 1st pic is my 2nd Bull the 3rd pic is the one Buzz shot and the 4th pic is my 1st Bull

Very nice bashaw! :thumb:

Nice trophies bashaw!

Congrats. Good bulls, now what is the tale!?

Great to see you get amongst-em Bashaw.

Nice bulls, well done, looks like Andrew took care of you very well, great to see international hunters enjoying success in Australia and leaving with a positive impression:thumb::thumb:

The 1st one was my first day there and I seen a small Bull and I wanted to get a picture of him, while we were doing that we came across some more fresh sign and I thought I probably should keep my eyes peeled when all of a sudden there he was I shot him in the shoulder he went down and came up immediately Andrew said spine him as he turned away, so I did and dropped him it was about an 80 yd shot. The 2nd one we were headed back to camp in the evening when we spotted this big Bull he looked at us from about 60 yds he tilted his head back and smelled us and then he decided it was time for a roll in the wallow while his feet were in the air I closed the distance to 20 yds with Andrew right behind me with his 416 when the Bull stood up and looked away from me I shot him behind the ear and dropped him in his tracks.

GREAT Trophies! bashaw!

Hope you also had a Great Adventure!

Do you know the measurements of the last bull you shot? His horns make your rifle and arms look small. Also what rifles were you and your friend using?

I shot mine with a 338 Win Mag 250gr Nosler partition Buzz shot his with a 375 H&H Swift A Frame. Buzz' Bull was 92 My Bulls were 93 and 102

Very nice bashaw. I'm somewhat local (based in Sydney) and will be heading up there for buffalo at the end of August. Hope I have half the luck you had; that 102 bull looks magnificent! I'll be using a .450 Ackley Magnum with 500 Woodleighs at 2,385fps. Gave great results on Cape Buff in Zim so hopefully I can do my bit in August.

Are you going to shoulder mount the trophies? What's your plan?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you