Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
I know the Leica geovid is the top choice for most, but it's way out of my price range. So my question is, is there an option out there that "only" costs a few hundred dollars but actually works and is worth getting?

I don't know about only a few hundred, but there are other brands that make that style- vortex comes to mind. I think they're still a few grand

Reactions: BWH
As an FYI, saw a deal this week.

The last year's model Leica HD-B 10x42 rangefinding bino, MSRP of $3400 is on sale at Cabelas. I believe it was somewhere around $2300. They have a save $50 off $500 coupon right now and it combines with the use a cabelas card, get an extra $25 in cabelas bucks on next statement promo. Add to that, you get from 2% to 5% back if you use a cabelas card in reward points.

I believe all in, the binos were effectively $2250 after all deals were done.

Difference between last year and this year's model? The laser on the new model ranges to 2200 yards, the old one was like 1600 or 1800 yards.

Leica is the only range bino that will do firing solutions for you in their HD-B line. You put in the sight-in details of your cartridge, the BC, Velocity, Scope height, Altitude, Barometric pressure, etc., etc. It will then reconcile that data set and the yardage zero. It will then tell you in 1 second how far the animal is in Africa, adjust for angle, give you the hold over in inches, mils, or dots, even calculating for altitude and pressure differences. All the other range finding products just tell you "how far away is the animal".

I figured that's what I would hear. Looks like I will be making do with the PH using his. Can't justify paying 2/3 of what I did for my safari on one piece of equipment. I've been trying to come up with ideas to make more money for Africa and equipment- in that order, but so far nothing can seem to come together. There's only so much OT a person can handle. That just might get me back over in a year or 2, so I will do without the expensive tech in order to go. Maybe I will get lucky and have a better paying job fall in my lap- yeah right, no one pays well in Maine!

A buddy of mine has these Bushnell rangefinding binos, he really likes them. They're not Swaro/Leica clear of course, but they're not bad...

http://www.focuscamera.com/bushnell...ogle_shopping&gclid=CNqOwpGS7dICFV6ewAodzKIF5

Screen Shot 2017-03-23 at 12.32.02 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Albert you planning on taking some of those 600 yard head shots? o_O

Albert you planning on taking some of those 600 yard head shots? o_O
Nope, not me Charlie! The 300yd shots on springbok were easy enough with Andri's .300 wsm, but somehow I think it might be a bit more challenging with a .375 at that range. Wanted a really good set of binos and figured it might as well be ranging at the same time. I never saw my kudu til I had it in the scope, whereas Andri picked it out 2 miles away with his Leicas.

the Bushnell gets a good review from a friend and fellow handgunner,doc.and he has the leicas.

You could consider putting the Burris Eliminator scope on. Model 3 has all the bells and whistles for around $1200. Ballistic computer, inclinometer, lighted reticle, range calculator, and in just a few seconds it'll tell you the hold for that distance. I think you can put in the estimated wind as well.
I just had my paws on one at the shop not one hour ago. Fairly light, CR123 battery. The lights on the vertical bar of the reticle adjust as you adjust the zoom.

Good idea but still outside of what I could come up with for now. Either way it would be end of summer at best even for something only a few hundred bucks. Was just curious if there was a good alternative to the Leica that didn't cost as much as a hunt- although I kinda knew the answer already. As I said don't really need it, so this is actually good. Helps keep me on the straight and narrow!

I have said Bushnell Elininator 3 scope I used on last safari, performed well but I am not a big fan it is terrible in low light the grid for ballistics makes it blurry. Your PH will be pretty spot on with range . I am considering selling mine as it is heavy as well mounted on a 308 with bull barrel and suppressor it weighs in at just over 12# sucks balls packing that in the bush.

Reactions: lcq
Real life review, I appreciate it. All I've seen on the web have been marketing related. I think model 2 doesn't have the extra dots, but I'd expect the glass will be the same.

If budget minded.... look at bushnell or vortex..... above that go leupold

I am a Vortex fan. I really don't thing that you can do better $ for $ and you get a lifetime guarantee.

I think the Leica's are dreamy piece of technology, but to be perfectly honest I can't justify spending my hard earned money on it. Besides I'm going to limit my shot distance anyway....300 yards is a longs ways....400 yds would be the limit. Most days I don't even like to go past 250 yards.

Unless I go on that dreamy Marco Polo hunt one day....I'll never need a Leica. Even if I did I'd find a way to rent one, not own one.

I know the Leica geovid is the top choice for most, but it's way out of my price range. So my question is, is there an option out there that "only" costs a few hundred dollars but actually works and is worth getting?
Nope. Good glass costs $. Unfortunate reality.
Regards,
Philip

The Leica HD-B's may be the only piece of equipment I have that are worth the money. The reason they cost so much is because they are worth it.

I have said Bushnell Elininator 3 scope I used on last safari, performed well but I am not a big fan it is terrible in low light the grid for ballistics makes it blurry. Your PH will be pretty spot on with range . I am considering selling mine as it is heavy as well mounted on a 308 with bull barrel and suppressor it weighs in at just over 12# sucks balls packing that in the bush.

I looked through one in Cabelas and had the same impression. The optical quality was worse than cheap bushnell, thanks but no thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you