Browning Safari Grade 308 Norma Magnum - a few observations

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
After inheriting my late father's 1968 Browning Safari Grade in 308 Norma Magnum over two years ago, I finally took the rifle out of the stock today; and made a few observations:

1. Most importantly, although this gun was made during the "salt wood" era, thankfully I do not see the slightest hint of any salt wood on any of the metal, particularly where it touches the wood (as the pictures will attest). I have not done a silver nitrate test; but I would think that if salt wood were going to be an issue, it would have surfaced after 54 years (so far, so good). It is my understanding that the Olympian and Medallion Grade rifles were more affected by the salt wood issue, but that is probably somewhat of a guess.
2. I did not realize that the front cross bolt in the stock was merely cosmetic. Apparently those are just metal buttons that attach to the surface, and not an actual bolt going from one side to the other. Similarly, the crossbolt in the rear is much less substantial than what I was expecting.
3. I did not realize that the screw under the fore grip was actually for a front barrel lug, but that makes sense to me now. I suppose that was something that Browning did for the magnum calibers, as my 243 and 30-06 do not have it.
4. At some point, my father (or perhaps the original owner) had glass-bedded the action. It still looks in good shape to me, but would be interested in hearing any other opinions.

Like working on most rifles, today was an opportunity to learn a bit more about my gun; and I'm sharing it here not only for propriety's sake, but also in the hopes that this info may benefit someone else in the future. My apologies in advance if this is too many pictures. Cheers!

Browning_Safari308Norma_8L44980_1.jpg
FrontBarrelLug.jpg
FrontLug_Rear.jpg
FrontLug_ScrewHole.jpg
LeftFrontCrossbolt.jpg
LeftRearCrossbolt.jpg
LeftTrigger.jpg
Lugs_Left.jpg
Lugs_Right.jpg
MagWell_Left.jpg
MagWell_Right.jpg
MagWell_Top.jpg
RearLug_Left.jpg
RearLug_Left2.jpg
RearLug_Right.jpg
RightFrontCrossbolt.jpg
RightRearCrossbolt.jpg
StockBarrelChannelForeend.jpg
StockBedding.jpg
StockBedding2.jpg
StockBeddingTang.jpg
StockScrews1.jpg
StockScrews2.jpg
StockScrews3.jpg
Trigger_Left.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi cash,

VERY NICE FN-BROWNING RIFLE!
1-The front cross bolt seems to be real, somewhat covered by the glass bedding.
2-I like the all steel magazine!!
3-I like the adjustable all steel trigger! The same as in my FN-AKAH 30-06. One of the best and fool proof Mauser sporting triggers! Works as the original Winchester M70 one.
How is the inside of the barrel? Did you fired the rifle?

CF

Hi cash,

VERY NICE FN-BROWNING RIFLE!
1-The front cross bolt seems to be real, somewhat covered by the glass bedding.
2-I like the all steel magazine!!
3-I like the adjustable all steel trigger! The same as in my FN-AKAH 30-06. One of the best and fool proof Mauser sporting triggers! Works as the original Winchester M70 one.
How is the inside of the barrel? Did you fired the rifle?

CF
Thank you; it has always been one of my favorite rifles from my dad's collection. And thank you for pointing out that the cross bolt is indeed real (just covered up by the glass bedding); that makes sense to me now. And I never realized that the trigger was adjustable, but I do know that this rifle has had a great trigger pull for as long as I can remember. It also helps that the bolt and mag follower are both jeweled; making for a very slick action.

To answer your question, the barrel is pretty much perfect on the inside; I think this gun has been fired relatively little for its age. My dad had another Safari Grade in 30-06 (purchased from the same original owner back in the early 70's) that he used much more frequently for deer hunting in the Texas Hill Country. I recall firing only two shots out of this rifle myself back when I was in high school in the late 80's. I have only had it to the range twice since inheriting it two years ago; once to test out the existing 150 grain handloads (which produced close to 1 MOA groups), and another time to start working up a 165 grain softpoint load (still a work in progress).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.