Browning, Mauser or Winchester for renting to US hunters in European trip?

geod

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunted
Romania, Uk, France, Spain
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Thanks to this wonderful site, we had the opportunity to advertise with great success for US clients, our hunting trips in Romania.

And if most European hunters bring their own rifles, I notice that a lot of US hunters want to use our guns.

At this point, it looks I need to buy at least one more rifle.

After a quick study on the market, I stopped to these 3 models:

1. Browning X-BOLT HUNTER

2.. Mauser M18

3. Winchester M70 CLASSIC HUNTER

Browning and Winchester have wooden stock, unfortunately, the synthetic stock is the only option for Mauser.

All 3 rifles will be in 30.06 calibers.

Which of those 3, US hunters will like better?

Thank you very much for your help!

Warm regards,
George

Ok, I'm not from US... I'm from Sweden...

Let them use some quality... go for M18 in a caliber with less recoil but the same stopping power like 8x57is :)

Another vote for the Winchester M70!

Win M 70

Not sure the wood stock is necessary for a rental and the synthetic is probably lighter
Think the Mauser sounds more romantic.
I do love my several pre 64 winnys
Best of luck with what u decide

Most American hunters won’t be familiar with the M18 (I’m not). Accuracy wise, the Xbolt and Weatherby Vanguard have the best reputation, along with the Tika T3x, which you didn’t mention. Some Americans will disparage the Model 70 now that it is made in Portugal, although I have one and it seems high quality to me.

The Browning is under rated but of these, the Winchester M70 would be my “go to”.

I personally love Mausers.. but most American hunters are going to be most familiar with, and most comfortable with a Winchester M70.. its one of the most commonly used and most popular bolt action rifles in the US...

The Browning X-Bolt has been around a long time and is also popular in the US.. but not nearly as popular or common as the Winchester M70

After dealing with Browning’s customer service I’ll never get anything made by Browning Arms Company which includes Winchester. I’d go with Mauser.

I'm probably in the minority but I would choose the Mauser although I would really want the M03 in 300WM if not the M98 in 375.
Not a fan of the Winchester or Browning.

And while I'm asking for things...
If you want to offer a real European experience, let them use a Sako 85 or Blaser R8.

M 70 gets my vote. You guys comparing a M18 to a M98....there is no comparison.

Another vote for the Winchester but solely on familiarity. Sako, Tikka and Howa would be my pick,

Of those three, the Winchester would be the way to go. None of those however would be my first choice. If I was wanting to stay in the price range, I would pick a Tikka.

I

If it was a 98 I’d lean to Mauser, but given the choices available it would be the M-70 hands down.

Blaser is a great idea, bet there would be a few guys buying them upon their return home after using one.
But out of the 3 I’d go with the win.

Perhaps a Remington 700 or a Ruger M77 would also be familiar to our American guests. Can't really speak for either, since I've never used one, but I understand that they are mighty popular in the US.

Those FN made Model 70s, even the ones made in Portugal, are about the best rifle you can get for under a grand, imho.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg