Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Want to pick up a fun 22 for target shooting and see what it evolves into... looking for a buckmark I think but see multiple different models. I want it to be red dot ready and would love a threaded barrel but not necessary.
Anyone know what model I should be looking for? Or is there a better pistol I should look at in similar price range? Way it’s going I’ll probably have to grab one on gunbroker or something because local dosnt have any anywhere.
Thanks
Dale

Check out the Ruger 22 Charger!

Target shooting as in popping some soda cans in the wood, entry level competition or high level competition?

Also, after looking at their website you are looking at a $400-600 price range?

The only other that I can come up with in that price range would be a Ruger Mark IV.

A review of that piece:

Plinking at the range for now then like option to upgrade if want to do some local competitions.

is the non competition ruger a better start then a base browning?

I'll send a PM.

Ruger is better supported by aftermarket parts. I'd stick with stainless steel and get a steel frame. Blue is an alloy frame or so it seemed when I handled them last.

I'll say the Ruger also. Their competition Mk IV is a fantastic pistol

I have the Mark II Target and can recommend the 5 1/2 bull barrel. They are called the Mark IV now, not too much has changed though.

Some folks like the Browning but I think it's too cheap feeling. I've never held the S&W but I would lean to the ruger

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.30.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.30.54 AM.png
    709.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.30.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 8.30.56 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
My favorite is the mark2 10" bbl. It needs better sights on it, but the idea is a solid one.

I have the browning buckmark. Great gun. Doesn’t feel cheap at all, quite the contrary I would say to @curtism1234 ‘s opinion.

Image1617314242.156668.jpg

Simply because the OP said see what this evolves into...the answer is Ruger Mark IV. It eventually evolves into shooting steel challenge rimfire when you put a red dot on it. You can really jump off the deep end and go straight to Volquartsen as suggested earlier. It's like a super tuned Mark VI that will really spoil you, but you're out of your price range to do so. It's a worthy splurge. Buckmark just don't have that aftermarket appeal. Brownings are for people who want to look cool and get some function. The go fast kick ... types look for a Ruger variant.

Browning Buckmark and Ruger MK series are exactly the two models to check out in this segment.
Go to a good gun dealer and make up your mind yourself.
Saying that the Ruger is "better" than the Browning is rubbish.
My pistol club have 5 Buckmark pistols that members can borrow. They have hundreds of thousands of rounds put thru them each and the still are very very accurate. My two sons borrow them regularly (pre China virus of course).
Browning Buck Mark Field Target Threaded 1/2"x28 should fit the bill I think.

I'm with @Forrest Halley on this one, the Ruger MK4 is the way to go. I went through this very thing about a year ago debating on the Buckmark vs the Ruger. I'm so glad I chose the Ruger. Went with the stainless threaded bull barrel and added a Volquartsen trigger kit. The top strap is drilled and tapped for a Picatinny rail if you were to choose to add one with a reflex or red dot sight. I've found the iron sights to be very accurate out to 50 yards and makes plinking a fun challenge.
1617469442630.png

The plus of the Ruger MK4 is they will hold their value in the event you want to get something else. Even used they sell at close to retail pricing, but deals are out there on the MK2 and MK3 because the MK4 has the easy takedown and cleaning procedure.

Reactions: SS1
I'd say:
If you are in the US, have a Ruger
If you are in EU, have a Buckmark
If you are elsewhere, flip a coin, they are both outstanding

I'm with @Forrest Halley on this one, the Ruger MK4 is the way to go. I went through this very thing about a year ago debating on the Buckmark vs the Ruger. I'm so glad I chose the Ruger. Went with the stainless threaded bull barrel and added a Volquartsen trigger kit. The top strap is drilled and tapped for a Picatinny rail if you were to choose to add one with a reflex or red dot sight. I've found the iron sights to be very accurate out to 50 yards and makes plinking a fun challenge.
View attachment 395970
The plus of the Ruger MK4 is they will hold their value in the event you want to get something else. Even used they sell at close to retail pricing, but deals are out there on the MK2 and MK3 because the MK4 has the easy takedown and cleaning procedure.
My Mark 2 is terrible. I hate it. It shoots too tight and literally ran 20 years without a take down detail cleaning. I think I'll trade it in for a buckmark. Ha!

My Mark 2 is terrible. I hate it. It shoots too tight and literally ran 20 years without a take down detail cleaning. I think I'll trade it in for a buckmark. Ha!
LMAO.

My neighbor has a MK1 from the mid 70's and says he's never taken it apart either. Still shoots and cycles without a hiccup. Probably why they hold their value so well. Just took me a little longer to commit.

LMAO.

My neighbor has a MK1 from the mid 70's and says he's never taken it apart either. Still shoots and cycles without a hiccup. Probably why they hold their value so well. Just took me a little longer to commit.
I was about 20 something when it finally got dirty enough to jam. Bolt would no longer return home sometimes without assistance. I had been shooting it since I was about five years old. Just wiping the action and swabbing the bore.

I've been shooting a Mark 1 target since the early 70's. The only problem was when I didn't shoot it for a while the lube on the 22 Lr rounds gummed up the chamber to the point that it would shoot but you needed to clear the empty with a cleaning rod. But since then it has functioned flawlessly.

I was amazed at how good it shot when I got it and won a number of turkey shoots with it where you were shooting a 325gm aspirin at 25 yards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you