Browning BAR MK 3

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by huntinlabs, Sep 20, 2018.

1. huntinlabs

huntinlabs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I am really wanting a new .300 Win Mag. in semi auto. I have a Browningn 12 ga in semi that I absolutley love. Has anyone personally shot one of these? Anyone know anything about accuracy and reliability? There isnt a ton of info on them on the internet and from what I have found it seems peole love them or hate them not really any consistency.

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Totally with you on a semi-auto shotgun. Have one, love it. But a rifle? Well I had a Remington many years ago, it was finicky. You had to let the bolt slam shut to properly lock down so it could fire. And it often times jammed ejecting the spent round. This resulted in a live round being shoved against the back of the fired round and a jam up that was difficult to undo. I got rid of that thing shortly after killing my first deer with it. Don't miss it at all.

A semi-auto in a .300WM..... just not sure what that gets you with the more complicated action. It may not answer your question, but my advice is stick with the simpler bolt action. Reliability and I do believe they're in general more accurate than the semi's.

3. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    I can speak to the reliability of NEMO firearms in 300WM, but it is a MSR, aka AR style rifle or "black rifle".
    I have a few friends who own them and swear by them.
    Easy for just about anyone to shoot with their buffer system dampening the recoil.
    Not the typical hunting style rifle like a Browning BAR or Benelli R1, but it gets the job done.
    Friends use them with thermal scopes for taking down nuisance hogs here in the US.

brandondd24 likes this.

4. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    Have had both a BAR and Benelli R1. The R1 shot much better and was less maintenance sensitive than the browning. Got rid of both of them because they just didn’t fit into any hunting I do. I originally purchased both of them for late season cull shooting but realized an accurate AR was plenty sufficient and much easier to acquire rapid head shots with.
    You can’t take one to Africa or just about anywhere else besides the US.
    Money much better spent on a bolt gun in 300 if it is the cartridge you are after. If it is just a gun to play around with then by all means buy one if you want one!
    If it was going to be a browning rifle it would be a old school Belgium safari Mauser. Not sure if they made one in 300 or not but I had one in 338 and it was a wonderful rifle.
    Cheers,
    Cody

5. huntinlabs

huntinlabs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    It would be my main hunting rifle for here in the states. Benelli put a bad taste in my mouth after they wouldnt warranty a stock on my dads super black eagle when it split 6 months after purchase.

6. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    Up to you, browning shotguns I really like! Their newer rifles just don’t do much for me and an auto loader in a magnum cartridge just isn’t the thing that screams big game rifle to me. Now this is my personal opinion, I have friends that love their BAR’s. As long as you are vigilant on your maintenance of them(especially in Alaska) it will probably serve you fine. I personally would not pick a BAR as my go to rifle. The price of one is about the same as a Safari in excellent condition or a Winchester Extreme Weather Model 70 that seems ideal for Alaska. Down here in Texas we have the luxury of being able to hunt with what I call Sunday guns. The weather is at worst temperate during deer season and never are you going from a warm tent to sub zero. Guns don’t take the abuse here as they do up there or in my beloved Montana. Good luck partner!

7. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I have a friend that has a BAR in 300wM. He loved it. I never shot it but he used it every year and killed a lot of animals with it.

8. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    My Father has a Browning BAR in 300 WM, he loves it. As accurate as the shooter behind it and reliable. Not surprising since that action was originally built for a weapon of war and faired well for that purpose. I've shot it a few times and my youngest brother put a lot of rounds through it. No complaints by me or him either. The gas action seemed to have tamed the recoil a bit too.

9. huntinlabs

huntinlabs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Do you know which model/year?

10. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    I can't help out with info on Brownings. However I've had a number of Remington 742(s) in 30-06 and 308 for over 30 years and never had a hiccup.

11. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Offhand, no.

As I recall he bought it used 10-15 years ago. It was synthetic stocked so not much older than that I suspect. Dad isn't so tech savvy and I'm not in the same state so getting an answer back will take a little time.

12. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    My friend has used a Remington 3006 all his life and never had a problem

13. huntinlabs

huntinlabs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I have a remington 3006 in semi.. it's a pretty smooth shooter if you find ammo it likes. I am thinking I am going to give that to my wife because her howa .308 is so freaking heavy.

But I dont think Remington makes a 300 win mag in semi auto.

14. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    My dad used a BAR in 338 WM for years. I have that rifle now and it's accurate and reliable. When I was a teenager, I had a Remington 742 in 30-06 and it was okay, but the BAR is a much more substantial rifle.