Brown Bear Hunt Alaska

JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
One of my outfitters in Alaska has a special offer in his area out of Port Alsworth for a 2x1 Fall Brown Bear hunt. This is a predator control area and the state is trying to reduce bear numbers in the area. During the 10 day hunt you are allowed to take 2 brown Bears and 5 black Bears, no additional trophy fees for taking extra bears. Hunters will need to fly into Anchorage then charter to camp, charter is $1,500. The camp is a tented camp with cots and fresh food. Hunters should be in reasonably good shape for the trip.

Dates for the hunt are August 20-30 both in 2016 and 2017, these dates coincide with the salmon run and berry season.

The 10 day hunt with all Bears included is $12,500 plus charter $1,500, license and tags.

I have room for 2 this year (2016) and 2 next year (2017) as well as one spot for a 1x1 hunt in 2017 for $18,500.

brooks range 1032small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive offer James.

Is this for spring?

What are the dates?

What are the average size of the browns and blacks?

Will you be coming to camp to do all the packing out and skinning so the outfitter can guide?

Hate your comment "Hunters should be in reasonably good shape for the trip."

Hi Bob,

Its a fall hunt 8/20-30. Average browns are 8.5-9 they take some 10" bears as well. But if you have two tags in your pocket you can always keep looking for that 10 if you have one in the salt. blacks are going to be 5.5-6 average size bears.

The outfitter employs packers, but if you want to cover my airfare I'll happily come along.

You are in reasonable shape, no walker or cane you should be OK.

Nice offer James! Brown bear is definitely on the list!!!

Dangit!! Only 2 things in the way for me, cape buffalo and looking for leopard in 2017! Maybe something like this will be around for 2018 :whistle:

I don't think so either!! Ok, off to buy some scratch tickets..lol

What are the chances of getting two brown bears and 5 black bears? More specifically how many reasonable shooting windows do you expect to see during the 10 days?
-randal

Now that is a deal! Wish I could take advantage of it...

James, are other critters of opportunity available in this area while hunting bears? Goat, moose, caribou?

@Randal I think realistically no, especially as a 2x1 hunt. But I think 1 brown and 2 blacks is. What I would do is buy 2 brown and 2 black bear tags. Shoot the first mature brown I saw and then spend time looking to better it and shoot a couple black bear along the way. Most of my brown bear hunts are 18k-23k so if you took the brown alone you have gotten your moneys worth. The area does hold a lot of bears but 10 days two hunters 14 bear, is really pushing the limits, if your guide does not get you first after caping out all those bears.

@reedy0312 I don't think anything else is open at that time in the area.

How many charter flights would be required to haul out 14 bear hides?:ROFLMAO:

Can you book as a single hunter and you get the second hunter or must it be two book together?

WOW I like this deal.

I need to find a rich widow lady that wants to finance my hunting trips.

As has been said, this is a great deal if you can swing it.

I must go and withdraw some money from the bank , I hope they don't take exception of the mask and shotgun that I use for leverage .:ROFLMAO:
Great deal.

James I was planning on a brown bear hint in 2018 but may have to try and work it in in 2017 based on this kind of deal. I will give you a call later today

James, I PMed you some additional questions. Thanks -Randal
@Randal I think realistically no, especially as a 2x1 hunt. But I think 1 brown and 2 blacks is. What I would do is buy 2 brown and 2 black bear tags. Shoot the first mature brown I saw and then spend time looking to better it and shoot a couple black bear along the way. Most of my brown bear hunts are 18k-23k so if you took the brown alone you have gotten your moneys worth. The area does hold a lot of bears but 10 days two hunters 14 bear, is really pushing the limits, if your guide does not get you first after caping out all those bears.

@reedy0312 I don't think anything else is open at that time in the area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg