Broken Zeiss Diavari C 3-9x36 Question(s)

Traveler1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI & NRA Life Member, DSC, HSC, DU and the Outer Circle
Hunted
Ethopia, CAR, Congo, SWA, RSA, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Zambia; Europe, S. Pacific, N&S America
Got this today from Zeiss. I sent my Diavari C 3-9x36 to KY for repair. I have had this scope since 1984, it was on the first center-fire I received from my father a Win Mod 70 in 308. The scope has been stuck on 9 power for like 15 years. I sent it to Germany back in 2007 and they wanted like $500-600 Euro to fix it, so I declined. I guess should just paid for it then, but that was a lot of green back in the day. Now that I have a daughter, I really want to pass down to her and would gladly pay like $1000 to fix it since it has sentimental value. Hindsight is bitch.

"We have completed the inspection on your Diavari C 3-9x36, Serial # 167XXX and have determined that your optic is either beyond economic repair or not repairable.
This condition is not covered under warranty because:
We don't work on this model anymore due to the lack of parts.
Unfortunately, an exact replacement product is no longer available. ZEISS is happy to offer you a special price on the closest available replacement:
CONQUEST V4 3-12x44 Z-Plex Reticle (#20) - Capped Elevation Turret - .25 MOA - Fixed Parallax .....$507.49"

So called back and they were already closed for the day. My question(s)
1. Economic repair. I am assuming they figure I won't want to pay more then its worth and there are no more parts.
2.. Should I take them up on the offer?
3. Is there another company out there that fixes old scopes?

Thanks

Kelley

I don’t know if anyone who could fix that. I’ve sent several scopes back for repairs and so far they all just sent me a new scope (Leupold, burris) haven’t sent any Zeiss or swaros in

I have the same scope as your broken one. But not as old and still great working condition on a Ruger Express .300 Mag. Since I paid about $450 used for my Diavari 3x9 some years ago. I don't believe I would hesitate to buy the scope that has replaced it at $507 unless you find a specific reason not to.
Good Luck.

I feel for you ! I have one of those sitting on my Rigby 275. I couldn’t imagine a better combination. Lovely scope.
anyway I digress… something is obviously seized, dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out. There is a guy in England who is the guru, genie of scope repairs.
Surely there is someone of similar ilk in the US that could take that on. I tried doing this on an ancient Pecar scope some years ago. Anyone need some parts for a Pecar ?

That conquest retails for about $700 most places…it’s an outstanding optic even at its full retail price… I’ve got one on a 270… from a clarity and ruggedness perspective I’d put it slightly higher than a swaro z3 of comparable variable power…

At $507 I’d be all over that deal like stink on a baboons ass.. I’m guessing that is the wholesale price on that scope..

just one of many for sale. My friend just got one online.
old and dinged up but clear as day.

Could be worth it to you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 7.18.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 7.18.14 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
I'd choose the new replacement. Better optically, and probably better mechanically. And a very good value at that price.

Got this today from Zeiss. I sent my Diavari C 3-9x36 to KY for repair. I have had this scope since 1984, it was on the first center-fire I received from my father a Win Mod 70 in 308. The scope has been stuck on 9 power for like 15 years. I sent it to Germany back in 2007 and they wanted like $500-600 Euro to fix it, so I declined. I guess should just paid for it then, but that was a lot of green back in the day. Now that I have a daughter, I really want to pass down to her and would gladly pay like $1000 to fix it since it has sentimental value. Hindsight is bitch.

"We have completed the inspection on your Diavari C 3-9x36, Serial # 167XXX and have determined that your optic is either beyond economic repair or not repairable.
This condition is not covered under warranty because:
We don't work on this model anymore due to the lack of parts.
Unfortunately, an exact replacement product is no longer available. ZEISS is happy to offer you a special price on the closest available replacement:
CONQUEST V4 3-12x44 Z-Plex Reticle (#20) - Capped Elevation Turret - .25 MOA - Fixed Parallax .....$507.49"

So called back and they were already closed for the day. My question(s)
1. Economic repair. I am assuming they figure I won't want to pay more then its worth and there are no more parts.
2.. Should I take them up on the offer?
3. Is there another company out there that fixes old scopes?

Thanks

Kelley
Take advantage of that decent offer, AND buy American next time (I've had Burris and Leupold fix things we've broken, including one Burris that was dropped off a rock ledge w/ a cracked lens-and it was still dead-on!) They either repaired the optic, sent us replacement parts (eye cups, etc.) or a brand new model at No Charge! I bought a rifle that had the Conquest V4 already mounted and 'have to say it does shoot very well and crystal clear optics. If i drop this one, i'll not be crying about the scope...lol (I'd say the vintage of the broken scope had the most to do with the lack o' repairability. Akin to bringing a Fiesta or original Ranger back to Ford for warranty service now.)

This place in Houston will work on some stuff. I actually found a rare part for a pair of binos one time and repair guy freaked and asked how I got a hold of it. He gladly worked on my item and fixed it, I gave him my hook ups contact info in exchange for a slight discount.

I'd ask for the scope back, to much sentimental value. If you are willing to pay 1,000 for the repair. Buy her a new scope and figure out someone who might be able to repair it. Have read reports of old watch makers repairing old scopes.

No amount of money will buy the memory's built around your original scope.

Take advantage of that decent offer, AND buy American next time (I've had Burris and Leupold fix things we've broken, including one Burris that was dropped off a rock ledge w/ a cracked lens-and it was still dead-on!) They either repaired the optic, sent us replacement parts (eye cups, etc.) or a brand new model at No Charge! I bought a rifle that had the Conquest V4 already mounted and 'have to say it does shoot very well and crystal clear optics. If i drop this one, i'll not be crying about the scope...lol (I'd say the vintage of the broken scope had the most to do with the lack o' repairability. Akin to bringing a Fiesta or original Ranger back to Ford for warranty service now.)

All my other scopes are Leopold and they fixed two them with questions. Great service.

This place in Houston will work on some stuff. I actually found a rare part for a pair of binos one time and repair guy freaked and asked how I got a hold of it. He gladly worked on my item and fixed it, I gave him my hook ups contact info in exchange for a slight discount.

Thanks for the heads up I will give them a call.

That conquest retails for about $700 most places…it’s an outstanding optic even at its full retail price… I’ve got one on a 270… from a clarity and ruggedness perspective I’d put it slightly higher than a swaro z3 of comparable variable power…

At $507 I’d be all over that deal like stink on a baboons ass.. I’m guessing that is the wholesale price on that scope..
I am going to take them up on the offer and ask for my scope to try to get fix here in Texas.

I am going to take them up on the offer and ask for my scope to try to get fix here in Texas.
That sounds like the best option- you get the new scope and you have the broken one at no cost and possibly find someone that can fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg