Broken Win M70 safety leaver

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
After firing my rifle ( 375 safari express Portuguese)today the safety started to feel weird. I noticed after the last shot so I didn’t have to quit at least. I took it inside and disassembled it and found a broken safety leaver. The safety still seemed to work, meaning it would still draw the striker back. Of course I had it unloaded at this time.

Just a heads up for other M70 owners. Ya might pick up a spare. Also does anyone know where I can get a spare?
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screenshot (104).png
    Screenshot (104).png
    539.5 KB · Views: 78
Just ordered from numrich they didn’t have blued so I got stainless. I don’t care. MGW was $65 this was 15 I got 2 so I’d have a spare.

Good deal! If it fits, nothing wrong with the stainless. 15 is a lot better than 65!

It may take a little filing to fit and function properly. At least you have one to practice on!

It kinda makes me want to get a whole separate bolt sleeve, striker assembly to have fo away home trips.

Contact the Winchester Service Department. Show them photos of the broken Safety Lever. They may ask you to send in the broken lever and replace it for free. It's worth a shot!

Their phone number is (636) 287 - 6800. This Service Center handles both Browning and Winchester so you will have to follow the "prompts"

As I read this it disturbs me about this broken safety not so much that it broke, but simply that fact that it is not automatic that we would not contact the manufacture, assuming that they are still in business.

A few years ago I asked the question has anyone seen a true pre 64 M-70 receiver (300 H&H) that never had serial numbers? I ask the question again just for curiosity.

The new safety arrived today and I got it installed. The stainless steel doesn’t look too unnatural on there. It does its job and draws the striker back a little bit when you apply the safety.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg