Brno zkk 602 UK

I have looked at Hatchers stocks but I would still need to get it checkered and finished.

that McMillan stock is so far ahead of any of the 600 series stocks it is not funny.
the 2 main faults of the 600s were that both stock choices were abominable, and their set triggers.
the unset option could be worked on to be a good trigger.
bruce.
Are they worth the money Bruce? My McMillan should be done in August or September. I’m looking forward to it.

I think they are wyatt.
they are tough and stable, making for good zero holding day in day out for years if properly bedded.
If you break a McMillan you deserve to have a broken gun.
plus the design is light years ahead of the brno stock.
brno just did not get it with the zkk stocks.
bruce.

my win m70 7mmstw has one as well.
hs precision and brown precision are also good.
the old Winchesters had too much drop, but the newer ones are quite useable.
bruce.
bruce.

Another redirection of an old thread.

From what I have picked up from reading is the older Brno stock is more narrow in the formed and some people like the feel of the narrow stock design. Not Bruce though.

The other feature people like are the ones with a integral peep sight.

I have a Timney trigger to fit to my CZ550 , oneday

What I don't understand is why did they ever put a set trigger on the Big Bores and Safari rifles?
@bruce moulds any ideas?

I have a Brno 602 (with peep) in rechambered 458 Lott around 1990s. Orginal stock is long gone and was restocked with a McMillan and has been reliable over 100s of rounds. In the past asked Wayne at AHR if he could convert a CZ 550 wood stock to fit the -602. He did not want to do it and the best I can remember his comment was” did that a couple of times and I am no longer willing to take on that job”. So based on my poor recollection it can be done but the MAN himself would not do it. By the way he was working on that rifle at the time doing what I will call a 1 1/2 .
Just FYI Brown precision is no longer providing 550 stocks after their fire and relocation.
The McMillan may be the best deal.The one I have has taken some serious usage and still hanging in there. If you are a function before form guy McMillan has done the job for me.
But McMillan has now changed hands and services may change.
Good luck with your project.

As an after thought if you were in the states I would suggest you lookup RJ Rennera website as to modifying Brno/CZ stocks. It may give you Ideas.

Another redirection of an old thread.

From what I have picked up from reading is the older Brno stock is more narrow in the formed and some people like the feel of the narrow stock design. Not Bruce though.

The other feature people like are the ones with a integral peep sight.

I have a Timney trigger to fit to my CZ550 , oneday

What I don't understand is why did they ever put a set trigger on the Big Bores and Safari rifles?
@bruce moulds any ideas?
chris,
they put one of the worst set triggers ever designed on a rifle that could have gone down in history as a great design because they could.
and they could because they saw the marketing technique of making something different enough that the implication is that it is better because it is different.
in fact a good 3 lever single stage trigger will always beat any set trigger.
they also displayed a great lack of knowledge of modern improvements in stock design with both stock choices offered.
a really good more modern stock design, an excellent single stage trigger, and a bit of smoothing up would have made the 600 series a legend up there with the m70.
bruce.

chris,
they put one of the worst set triggers ever designed on a rifle that could have gone down in history as a great design because they could.
and they could because they saw the marketing technique of making something different enough that the implication is that it is better because it is different.
in fact a good 3 lever single stage trigger will always beat any set trigger.
they also displayed a great lack of knowledge of modern improvements in stock design with both stock choices offered.
a really good more modern stock design, an excellent single stage trigger, and a bit of smoothing up would have made the 600 series a legend up there with the m70.
bruce.
Agreed. The set trigger that is on the 602, is at best, a real head scratcher! For a working hunting rifle there should be much more room inside the trigger guard- the set system trigger severely crowds the clearance inside the guard. The tiny nested leaf hairpin return spring inside the "set" main spring lever hairpin is not an elegant engineering design by any definition. Attaching the trigger group to the bottom metal of the stock and not to the action itself, is another.... huh?? design element. The backwards trigger/sear block safety on left side of action is another huh? And, the honeycomb cell butt pad is simply not a good, durable design. The sliding barrel screw/secondary recoil lug keyway attachment thingy seems to work OK and may provides some "custom" barrel pressure tuning. But in my mind the jury is still out on that. The above critique applies to my model BRNO ZKK in 357 HH and apparently there were some differences among them during the period of production.

I added a Winchester M 70 style 3 position safety to mine and fitted a simple, single stage trigger. Right now the rifle is extremely accurate and the trigger is smooth and functional. The cartridge cycling is reliable and fairly smooth. At some time I may change out the stock. But given the current accuracy and apparent stability of the stock, so far, I am still assessing the need for that change.

Here's my BRNO ZKK 602 375 HH with the Win 70 type safety, single stage trigger. I also added two cross bolts.
BRNO ZKK 602 3 position safety.JPG

BRNO ZKK 602 single stage trigger.JPG

Agreed. The set trigger that is on the 602, is at best, a real head scratcher! For a working hunting rifle there should be much more room inside the trigger guard- the set system trigger severely crowds the clearance inside the guard. The tiny nested leaf hairpin return spring inside the "set" main spring lever hairpin is not an elegant engineering design by any definition. Attaching the trigger group to the bottom metal of the stock and not to the action itself, is another.... huh?? design element. The backwards trigger/sear block safety on left side of action is another huh? And, the honeycomb cell butt pad is simply not a good, durable design. The sliding barrel screw/secondary recoil lug keyway attachment thingy seems to work OK and may provides some "custom" barrel pressure tuning. But in my mind the jury is still out on that. The above critique applies to my model BRNO ZKK in 357 HH and apparently there were some differences among them during the period of production.

I added a Winchester M 70 style 3 position safety to mine and fitted a simple, single stage trigger. Right now the rifle is extremely accurate and the trigger is smooth and functional. The cartridge cycling is reliable and fairly smooth. At some time I may change out the stock. But given the current accuracy and apparent stability of the stock, so far, I am still assessing the need for that change.
All my ZKK actioned rifles have the safety on the right hand side of the action, same side as the bolt.....

The rifle itself seems very sound and the stock bedding system/inletting, as odd as it is, seems to work. The barrel to receiver mating and alignment seems well done. If any of that were wacky, the rifle wouldn't shoot. But it shoots extremely well. And while messing around with the trigger, sear, safety and firing pin, I was able to smooth the cycling function quite a bit- one of the buggers with some CZ factory rifles. Although this one started out much smoother than many factory 550s I've handled.

Agreed, so much potential! A mystery to me why they couldn't avoid a couple of real Rube Goldbergs from the beginning :)

Coming from an AH "Legend" status member.
Where do I get that 3 position safety in Aus?

safety could be ordered from American Hunting Rifles and have a local install. Wayne, I believe, will have parts available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg