Brno ZKK-602 in 458 win mag new to me and some questions regarding it...

SRvet, Nice! I really love mine even though I've only had a short while. What year is yours? Pics? I actually like the safety and the blade trigger. Maybe I am weird but I like how different it is from other triggers I have and I really like how smooth this one is. I have heard that some are not that hot but mine I have to admit is excellent. I am one of those strange folks that likes the originality of an item and tend to not modify it unless there is an issue with the way that it works... then all bets are off! Now, mind you, my stock and lack of barrel band for the front of the sling... that could be another story. I am going to run mine for a bit as is and maybe I will change things up in those areas in the future. This is my first BRNO and from what I can see it will not be my last. Congrats! Like I said, pics please!
B04CD8D9-9BF9-4312-8F84-6C6770AE5AAD.jpeg

4440E788-B3C7-45FF-B0F2-685DDD4EF805.jpeg

DF446139-A2BE-4817-B43D-34B95EF62E52.jpeg

9AE69A54-704F-46D6-B33A-11ED52B50802.jpeg

Here you go then, looks like a 1995 vintage, no peep sight and may well have had the feed ramp polished. Definitely has the worst glass bedding job in the world! It is also missing the metal stock insert for the barrel mounted recoil lug.

Great looking rifle! It is a '95 and its ramp looks like its polished. I haven't even taken my action out of the stock since I got it so I have no idea if I am missing anything! Mine is the Monte Carlo stock and I thought it was going to be uncomfortable but I was wrong... yours look like a hogback in the pic above. If it is, how was it?

Great looking rifle! It is a '95 and its ramp looks like its polished. I haven't even taken my action out of the stock since I got it so I have no idea if I am missing anything! Mine is the Monte Carlo stock and I thought it was going to be uncomfortable but I was wrong... yours look like a hogback in the pic above. If it is, how was it?
I was also surprised how comfortable it was. Here is a quick video

Keep it a 458.

There were a couple on guns international and I was tempted to have a 458 that matches my 375, but the 458 built on a VZ-24 action feeds anything and shoots great so could't convince myself it was worth the $$, besides it will give me a few extra bucks to spend with KMG in 2021.

Sounds like you found a good woman, so listen to her and get your 9.3x74 double. Take your lady and both rifles to africa. Soot alottt of things and come back and write a report.

Survey- Recoil looks really mild! I know that for a hard kicker mine is excellent as well.

AZDAVE- I agree and thank you for the kind words. A great lady is tough to find and I scored. Bonus fact: she likes to shoot and wants to go to Africa on a safari with me. Not to hunt but to accompany me. That is a way off though. I mean... I have to get Chapuis first lol. May have a hunt in Australia somewhere in there as well.

I love my 602 and I’m quite content to keep it a WM. No need to switch. It feeds better than any 458 I’ve had previous. I still gotta get the 375HH even if it’s not a 602.

Survey- Recoil looks really mild! I know that for a hard kicker mine is excellent as well.
Yes it was very comfortable indeed. Those were some thrown together handloads with 405g jacketed 45/70 bullets. I don’t know what the velocity is with them as I didn’t take the chrono. I’m sure I will feel it more when I get some heavier bullets going faster!!
I have just ordered a 3 position safety and curved trigger from AHR so hopefully before long the makeover will commence!

I did the same. 405 with trail boss at 1050fps, 400 at 2350fps and 500 at 2190. All were comfy!!

I share the same sentiments as @Pondoro , even though the .458 Winchester Magnum is my favorite calibre of all time ( I have personally been using one for Problem Animal Control work , since 1977 ) and the BRNO ZKK - 602 is one of the most robust rifles ever to be built . Here are two extremely accurate articles , which highlight the negative aspects of chambering the .458 Winchester Magnum in a BRNO ZKK - 602 action ( a Magnum length action ) .

0966983B-13B6-439A-A205-41B9DA2670DE.png
92FFBDBB-8366-49EA-93C4-349CC5054F9D.png

EEBFAED0-387C-4D8A-B7DE-F3F792488A57.png
32DE8703-F283-4E96-AA80-F20505C35AAD.png

If you prefer to keep your BRNO ZKK - 602 as a .458 Winchester Magnum , then I would highly advise you to have a spacer fitted in your rifle .

I find that to be interesting. I have had no feed issues so far but perhaps that is luck? I have run flat nosed 45-70 government 405 grain projectiles through it and working the bolt quickly there has been not even a feeling of resistance in the feeding cycle let alone any other issues. However, these loads are not at 458 power levels either to be fair so recoils is not as abusive to the unfired cartridges in the magazine. However, they are substantially shorter than the standard 500 grain Woodleigh as well, reducing the OCL significantly. I don't think that there was any work done to this rifle prior to me owning it other than an incredibly smooth action. There is surely no spacer in the magazine box.

I may one day convert it to a Lott but I will run it hard in a week or so and see what happens. I will do all that I can to make it malfunction and see what happens and go from there. I like "underdogs" so I would prefer to keep it a WM UNLESS the issues you send along in that article creep up and then I will have to address them. I would not go through any hassle at that point other than to rechamber to Lott. No magazine work and other fiddly bits. I am also not going to add a barrel band for a sling I don't think as I never use a sling (where I hunt they snag on EVERYTHING) and this rifle does not try to bite my hand on the fore end with the sling swivel.

If nothing else, I appreciate your time and effort in sending that information my way and I now have a bit of a challenge! I am interested to see to what end this come to!

Cheers!

I share the same sentiments as @Pondoro , even though the .458 Winchester Magnum is my favorite calibre of all time ( I have personally been using one for Problem Animal Control work , since 1977 ) and the BRNO ZKK - 602 is one of the most robust rifles ever to be built . Here are two extremely accurate articles , which highlight the negative aspects of chambering the .458 Winchester Magnum in a BRNO ZKK - 602 action ( a Magnum length action ) .

View attachment 377456View attachment 377457
View attachment 377458View attachment 377459
If you prefer to keep your BRNO ZKK - 602 as a .458 Winchester Magnum , then I would highly advise you to have a spacer fitted in your rifle .
I see the author succumbed to that baloney that Mark X rifles have "soft barrels" and wear out very quickly. Nonsense!

Yes it was very comfortable indeed. Those were some thrown together handloads with 405g jacketed 45/70 bullets. I don’t know what the velocity is with them as I didn’t take the chrono. I’m sure I will feel it more when I get some heavier bullets going faster!!
I have just ordered a 3 position safety and curved trigger from AHR so hopefully before long the makeover will commence!
I was pretty sure you werent shooting anything like a magnum load. Recoil there is about like a .30-06.

I see the author succumbed to that baloney that Mark X rifles have "soft barrels" and wear out very quickly. Nonsense!
@sestoppelman
That author was the late Don Heath ; also known as Ganyana . Nevertheless , I am much inclined to agree with you . I have never heard of the early English made Interarms Whitworth Mark X rifles , which employed soft barrels . I cannot comment on the later American Interarms Mark X rifles , however .

I have personally seen two examples where the magazine base plates would frequently pop open , though . They were both .458 Winchester Magnums .

All of the Interarms rifles, Mark X, Whitworth etc., were all made of Yugoslavian barrels and actions. There is a member here who was told that some were made with Shaw barrels but I have not seen that info anywhere else.
Anyway the soft barrel thing is one of those oft mentioned things, perhaps someone had one once that shot out quickly, anything is possible. I have owned a number of these rifles and dont think I will live long enough to wear out the barrel of my .375 Whitworth, and its been shot plenty!

That M70 safety featured in the above article is a pre-War safety. It isn't awkward as the caption notes since the design was meant to be a movement similar to cocking the hammer on a M 94. what made it awkward was when a scope was mounted low over the action so the shooter needed to reach in under the scope to get the lever with his thumb then rock it back to parallel with the bore. After WWII the safety lever was redesigned so that it was pushed forward along the side of the bolt, eliminating the need to reach under the scope.

Interesting also that he harps on the safety being on the wrong side for a right hander, in the case of the "BRUNO" and the Mark X. I dont get that. A right hander wants his safety where it can be used with the shooting hand, not the off hand. Where would it be better placed? Odd...

Before my 602 I had a Whitworth in 458. It shot great. Until the stock split from the end cap through to the wrist and mine dropped its ammo on the ground every shot. I had it restocked and the floor plate squared away. It just never felt the same again and I sold it after that. It was beautiful however and I sure loved it but I let it go. I heard about the soft barrels as well and I don’t believe it. Not at all.

Anyone have an idea on how to rechamber from 458 win to 458 Lott? And the name of a good smith in the US who wouldn’t mess that up?
Also just purchased another 602 but in 375HH. Exact match to my 458.

From what I understand rechambering a Win mag to a Lott is just a matter of running the reamer in to lengthen the chamber and the leade. Unfortunately the last really good gunsmith that I had do work for me was CP Donnelly and he passed away about 10 years ago.

Isn't AHR the place to send the CZ , BRNO rifles? Not sure what they would charge to change it to a Lott.

The AHR rifle I just purchased is just a beauty. All workmanship on it was just perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg