8x68

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
OFAH
Hunted
Canada, USA
I have a line on a BRNO ZKK 601 in 243 Win. Date of Mfg is 1978. It still has the pop up peep sight. Overall it's in decent shape. The challenge is the barrel crown. It's a straight cut crown. I've never seen this type of crown before on a BRNO. I haven't seen a BRNO with a pop up rear peep sight either for that matter. The guy that's selling bought is used and says that is how it came. He mentioned that it has gone to a gunsmith to check the headspace and had the chamber tightened up. The gunsmith never mentioned anything about the crown. Just wondering if anyone has seen similar?
Barrel crown.jpg

I had a later ZKK601 in .308W.
I can't remember the crown looking like that and I doubt its original.
Pop up rear peep sight actions are very sought after.

Mine had an issue ejecting so make sure that works.
The stock didn't fit me either and I got rid of the rifle rather quickly.
The earlier models are better quality and a recrown is only a trip to the gunsmith away.

The crown looks like it has been recut. might be an 11 degree Target crown. Notice how the bluing is much lighter than the rest of the rifle. That is an indication of cold blue usage. You don't need to cold blue something that has its original factory finish. This is very common with either a DIY where the owner has a metal lathe or an inexpensive gunsmith without either the patience to blue it properly, or the knoweldge of cold blue that would precipitate a better finish. Oxpho blue from Brownell's doesn't wear like that. It looks like it was blued with the Birchwood-Casey cold blue that is bought at Walmart. This stuff doesn't give a deep blue and wears off quickly from the high pressure, hot gas being blown over it every time the rifle is fired. I would definitely have the rest of the rifle checked. It looks like there might be some rust on the rifling near the muzzle as well. This is also a symptom of cold blue usage, unless that is orange lint or something. I would have it recut to a recessed crown, which is simple and very inexpensive.

The crown looks like it has been recut. might be an 11 degree Target crown. Notice how the bluing is much lighter than the rest of the rifle. That is an indication of cold blue usage. You don't need to cold blue something that has its original factory finish. This is very common with either a DIY where the owner has a metal lathe or an inexpensive gunsmith without either the patience to blue it properly, or the knoweldge of cold blue that would precipitate a better finish. Oxpho blue from Brownell's doesn't wear like that. It looks like it was blued with the Birchwood-Casey cold blue that is bought at Walmart. This stuff doesn't give a deep blue and wears off quickly from the high pressure, hot gas being blown over it every time the rifle is fired. I would definitely have the rest of the rifle checked. It looks like there might be some rust on the rifling near the muzzle as well. This is also a symptom of cold blue usage, unless that is orange lint or something. I would have it recut to a recessed crown, which is simple and very inexpensive.

Thanks for that. Yeah it do look like a possible "home made" job. He says it still shoots well for him. I'm just not comfortable with the barrel issue. What might sway me is the pop up peep sight. Don't see many of those.
I thought an 11 degree target crown had more of a 'saucer" shape to it referring to it's depth.

Not necessarily. Most of the ones I have ever done are an 11 dree from perpendicular. Still I would rather have a recessed crown to protect it.

Not necessarily. Most of the ones I have ever done are an 11 dree from perpendicular. Still I would rather have a recessed crown to protect it.

Thanks. That's why I posted on here. My knowledgeable people that I. Got an update from the seller. Barrel crown is slightly recessed so I'm thinking possible 6 degrees? He also says barrel length is 22 7/8" long. Ignore tape measure. He measured from the front bridge to end of barrel. I asked him to measure from where barrel meets receiver to end of barrel. Original specs according to my original BRNO catalog is 23.6". So it's been cut.
Barrel crown #2.jpg

Buy it, re-crowning isn't a biggy for a gunsmith. Like said earlier the pop-up aperture actions are sought after.

Buy it, re-crowning isn't a biggy for a gunsmith. Like said earlier the pop-up aperture actions are sought after.
His price is a tad high at the moment. See if I can bring him down as rifle is not in its original configuration.
Pic of pop up sight and receiver/bolt: He isn't including ringmounts or scope.
Receiver pic.jpg

Measure the barrel properly. Bolt face to muzzle. Should be 23.6 inches. Assuming the bore is good, a good crown job and good to go. If it had the chamber "tightened up", whatever that means, I would suppose the barrel had been set back a thread so it can lose a little length there, but not much.

Measure the barrel properly. Bolt face to muzzle. Should be 23.6 inches. Assuming the bore is good, a good crown job and good to go. If it had the chamber "tightened up", whatever that means, I would suppose the barrel had been set back a thread so it can lose a little length there, but not much.
I guess from what he's telling me there was a headspace issue. The barrel was turned back a couple of threads. Headspace was reduced from 12 thou to 4 thou. Barrel length was shortened by about 1/8". Reason given was gun was not grouping well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg