Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Went to the gun shop this afternoon to pick up an extra double magazine holder for my Glock 33 in 357 sig and happened to find an extra 15 shot mag as well. I casually enquired if they had any Brno ZKK actioned rifles available and it so happened that they had one a 1970 model ZKK 600 in 30-06 with the pop up peep sight in the rear receiver as well as the fold down rear sight with the straight hair trigger, rifle although used the barrel looks good.

If it was 7x57mm or 7x64mm I would have paid a deposit straight away, I may still do so though....

It looks exactly like this one posted by @Clodo Ferreira although his is a 9.3x62mm

1626208196339.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to the gun shop this afternoon to pick up an extra double magazine holder for my Glock 33 in 357 sig and happened to find an extra 15 shot mag as well. I casually enquired if they had any Brno ZKK actioned rifles available and it so happened that they had one a 1970 model ZKK 600 in 30-06 with the pop up peep sight in the rear receiver as well as the fold down rear sight with the straight hair trigger, rifle although used the barrel looks good.

If it was 7x57mm or 7x64mm I would have paid a deposit straight away, I may still do so though....

It looks exactly like this one posted by @Clodo Ferreira although his is a 9.3x62mm

View attachment 412532
Please buy this 30-06 so that if you then find a ZKK 7x57 you can pass it on to me .

I was in similar situation years ago, looking for sako 85 in 7x64.
Then, facing the hard reality, that 7x64 would be hard to find I made compomise with myself, and went for sako 85 in 30-06. (readily available in LGS)

the fact is ZKK is not in production anymore. The chances to buy ZKK (with peep sight) are getting scarse.
On the other hand 30-06 is in same/similar energy level as 7x64, or 7x57 - they are all medium all round cartridges, used for same type of hunt and game species. And in the worst case scenario, even rebarelling to 7mm may be an option. The whole point of rifle in this case is ZKK action, as I see it. The caliber is only second consideration.

So this is something to think about.

Having the hard to find peep would have seen me buying it regardless the caliber. Well if it was a .243 I would have left it there but almost anything else!

I believe the 30/06 is a better all round cartridge than the 7X64 (it is a great caliber a early 280 Rem) for African use, even more so if you reload .

I have 4 ZKK's three 600 & one ZKK601 (been run over by Bakkie so cheap lol) I got them for the actions, all pop up peep & the early one is even better made than the later ones .

I put a ZKK602 458Win barrel on one, I haven't finished it yet & it still works 3 down with NO mag work yet, so will be great when I finish her up ?

If you can fit it on your license & not too much Rands I think good plan to buy & money in the bank for the future !

Oh keep safe by the way, my guys tell me it is a bit tough there & until just now I have been kicking myself for not getting over earlier, still would if my Gov would let me out !

Congratulations to finding it @IvW.
If you have the means to buy it why not doing it? Knowing your preference for the ZKK, what’s not to like… Great rifle, great cartridge…

Hi lvW,

Agree with Sarg. I like the 7x64 but see the 30-06 as a better round for the same and, eventually, other uses. By the way, I had for some year a magnificent Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK in 7x64. If it would have been in 30-06, would still be mine...
If I would be in your shoes, that ZKK would be mine now! Even with its set trigger I don´t like. If you can´t find a normal or direct one, it is very easy to make one.

Good luck!

CF

You're a lucky guy and should take it immediately . I absolutely love BRNO ZKK series rifles . My favorites are a BRNO ZKK602 in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum for dangerous game , and a BRNO ZKK600 in .30-06 Springfield for plains game . I got acquainted with both these rifles during my first African Safari ( a mixed bag one ) in Kenya in 1974 . Our white hunter had them in camp for us to use ( back in those days , Kenyan white hunters used mostly BRNO and BSA firearms ) .

That old Czech .30-06 accounted for a lot of plains game , including Kudu and wildebeest and eland ( I used Remington Core Lokt 220 Gr soft points for those ) . Even now , I get absolutely elated whenever my outfitter has any BRNO ZKK series rifles ( or rifles built on these actions ) in camp .

Till now , I've used a BRNO ZKK600 in .30-06 for at least 3 of my Safaris . Despite being discontinued for so many years , they're still going strong in places like RSA and Tanzania and Zimbabwe .

In recent years , the BRNO ZKK series rifles are getting increasingly harder to find . So you should snap it up immediately . You can always have it rebarreled to any other standard length caliber if you don't like the .30-06 . But honestly , the .30-06 is a pretty solid caliber .

In my experience , the .30-06 Springfield is an extremely versatile plains game caliber for Africa . Below , are just some of the plains game taken with a .30-06 over the years during Safaris .
Defassa.jpg
Greater Kudu 1.jpg
Greater Kudu 2.jpg
Sable 1.jpg
Zebra.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely dote on the 7x57 and the 7x64 is a close runner up but, I have more rifles chambered in the good old .30'06 than any other. I have had excellent results with 180 grain bullets out of mine. It has done it's job done for over a century and will continue to do so. I would have snatched up that ZKK in a heartbeat! Go forth and make it yours and let it do the work for which it was intended! :D

I absolutely dote on the 7x57 and the 7x64 is a close runner up but, I have more rifles chambered in the good old .30'06 than any other. I have had excellent results with 180 grain bullets out of mine. It has done it's job done for over a century and will continue to do so. I would have snatched up that ZKK in a heartbeat! Go forth and make it yours and let it do the work for which it was intended! :D
I agree with you .

IvW, I agree with everyone, If you can fit this into your battery from a legal standpoint, buy it. I hope you told the owner to hold it for you at least for a few days while you made up your mind. Those older models with the pop up rear peep are as rare as hens teeth here in the States. YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!

Oh well.....pulled the trigger on another ZKK600 30-06 today....

It is a 1978 model with the pop up peep sight in the rear receiver and also has the flip down rear sight so that you can use the pop up peep sight without any issues.
It also has both original triggers the bore is shiney and spotless and it has a stock with nice figure and a cheek piece.
The action is very smooth.

Not surprised you picked up another ZKK with pop up sights. Congratulations.

Post a few pics when you have a chance.

It is quite light and is a de Luxe model with a cheack piece stock(not the hogsback thing with the drop).
I am still kicking myself for not buying a ZKK602 in 300 WM from the same dealer before....I wont make the sam mistake again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzannaVal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg