Brno 9.3x62

Ronnie Pace

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Picked up a Brno in 8x57mm and added a Burris 1 3/4-5x scope. The first thing I am going to do is have JES rebore and rechamber it to 9.3x62mm. The plan is to have the receiver and mounts color case hardened and the rest blued, add a 3 position safety and a lever release floor plate, add cross bolts, put a better red pad on it and have the forend shortened and an ebony tip in the English style and have the checkering recut and stock refinished. It won’t be an Oberndorf or a Rigby but it will be my idea of a proper African rifle. Every time I have started one of these I have ended up selling it but hopefully now I am making one to keep. I think the Burris will be perfect with a 9.3x62 rifle

B435-E17-B-CD23-4-A00-8353-851-AFC3-E9-A55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful Rifle!

be aware that case hardening an action can cause it to lose a degree of trueness.
bruce.

A chemical “case coloring” can look just as good (or better) and be almost as durable. Some alloy receivers can’t take traditional case hardening, but case coloring is another option.

You will have a very nice rifle when you finish your project.

You have a very nice rifle now. Why mess with it? I'm saying that because I really like these original stocks as they are, even though yours had the recoil pad added already. But that is one addition that does not necessarily take away from the stock. Also, those Brnos are nice and light. Boring it out will make it even lighter and you may find full-house 9.3 loads kicking a bit much. But then again, it does have that recoil pad and it's your rifle and your dream... ;) Good luck and report how it turned out

You have a very nice rifle now. Why mess with it? I'm saying that because I really like these original stocks as they are, even though yours had the recoil pad added already. But that is one addition that does not necessarily take away from the stock. Also, those Brnos are nice and light. Boring it out will make it even lighter and you may find full-house 9.3 loads kicking a bit much. But then again, it does have that recoil pad and it's your rifle and your dream... ;) Good luck and report how it turned out
I remember hunting with a guy who had a nice Husqvarna 9.3x57 and was thinking about having it rechambered to 9.3x62. I told him that he should not do it because the rifle was nicely set up as it was and he did not need the extra power in NZ BUT I heard later that he had done so and did not like the recoil! :giggle: :A Stretcher: NB If you want a five round mag capacity you will have to buy a 9.3x62 magazine/floorplate assembly to replace the 8.2x57 magazine/floorplate. There is no mistaking the difference in floorplate width. If you stay with the original magazine you will be restricted to four rounds and will need to have it fettled appropriately.
New barrel, new magazine, new stock ... kaching, kaching!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t necessarily want to build a 9,3x62 on a small ring Mauser action. Nice rifle as is, in a very functional caliber

I'd say 9.3x62 is OK but about max for the the small ring. But honestly, I think they make nice stalking rifles in the original smaller calibers. I recently had a M98 8x57 re-barreled to 9.3x62 and had it quickly beat me up in that set up as it happened to be under 7 lbs. I quickly put the barreled receiver into another stock to gain recoil pad and couple pounds of weight. Much nicer now. The Brno's are so nice I like to leave them light and near stock configuration. However, there is nothing wrong with modifying them to your liking. I was going to do an already modified 22F into 9.3x62 from 8x57 but after my M98 experiment decided to leave it as 8x57. At least this one shoots. The re-barreled M98 had horrible barrel on it. I'd sooner make a 280 or 7x64 out of one these Brnos. Or 8mm-06, etc. But there are really not many flies on the x57 cartridges. And the stocks are the nicest factory stocks I know, but every person has a different body and stock fit. if one wants a nice 9.3x62 then a ZG47, CZ550 would do or even butcher a Win M70 and be happy. LOL...JMHO of course.

I look forward to the completion of your most promising project . I have hunted Markhor in Pakistan by using an original BRNO ZKK-600 , which was chambered in 9.3x62 mm Mauser . The rifle was the property of my guide .

Do you intend to keep the double set triggers , or do you intend to convert it to a single trigger format ? In a dangerous game rifle , one must invariably opt for a single trigger format ( naturally ) . However , double set triggers can be a nice touch for a plains game rifle .

I look forward to the completion of your most promising project . I have hunted Markhor in Pakistan by using an original BRNO ZKK-600 , which was chambered in 9.3x62 mm Mauser . The rifle was the property of my guide .

Do you intend to keep the double set triggers , or do you intend to convert it to a single trigger format ? In a dangerous game rifle , one must invariably opt for a single trigger format ( naturally ) . However , double set triggers can be a nice touch for a plains game rifle .
I agree with you Profesor Mawla.

The plan is to keep the double triggers. I have grown fond of them and used to them since I have been shooting Sharps rifles and Steyr-Mannlichers and Mannlicher–Schönauer rifles with them for so long

Now that is the proper solution! Congrats and best of luck! :D

Change in plans. I am buying another rifle in 9.3x62mm so this one will stay as is. I will probably list it for sale shortly since the only reason I got it was for the conversion. Thank you all for the suggestions

Makes sense my friend! 9.3x62 is a great chambering.

Change in plans. I am buying another rifle in 9.3x62mm so this one will stay as is. I will probably list it for sale shortly since the only reason I got it was for the conversion. Thank you all for the suggestions
If you don't HAVE to sell it, why do so.
Hang on to it for a while & take it shooting.
8x57mm is a perfect gap filler between .30 and .375 calibers.
I'd say give it a year or so.
If you aren't shooting it or don't like it by then...sell it.

Or you could come up with another project.
Maybe one more suitable to the small ring.
You never know....
The BRNO action is highly regarded.
Just don't want you to have regrets.

Between the .30-06 and the 9.3x62 the 8x57mm will be redundant, not that that really matters. I have thought about keeping it and making a .318 WR which of course is close to the 8mm but it would be cool as hell to see .318 Westley Richards Accelerated Express engraved on the barrel!

Oh I missed the sell part. I only read "will stay as is"...that I found proper... LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!