Brno 22H

EFR

Reaction score
Hunted
USA, Canada
Hi folks, new to the forum, in fact second post. Quick background: I just booked a trip for my son and I to SA for plains game in August 2023. I've got a few rifles in the safe(s), probably several that would work, but I thought it would be neat (and proper) to hunt SA with a traditional blued and wood stocked, controlled round feed rifle.

A couple weeks ago I stopped into a small shop near where I was working to browse the used gun rack. Behind the counter I saw a trim little mauser bolt action with double triggers. The gun was used, but in pretty good shape. Bluing was a worn on floor plate, and was a little thin in a couple of spots on top of the barrel. All screws were perfect. The gun was light, neat, and trim, chambered in 7x57. There was no price on the gun as it was just taken in. I left my number and asked for them to give me a call when they priced it.

A week later I had not heard from the shop. I was in the area for work again so I stopped in. In the meantime, I had looked it up and found it was a Brno 22H. The shop still had not priced it. I asked what they'd take for the rifle. They gave me a price which I thought was very good and bought it on the spot.

Now, questions for the experts;
- will 7x57 be sufficient for SA plains game up to gemsbok, kudo, and zebra? Our PH recommended .308 Win up, (which should be final). Our PH also stated most shots would be between 100-200 yards. I do have other guns I can take, and my son will be bringing a (wrong handed) Christensen 300PRC if I need it.
- If the 7x57 is sufficient, what bullet would you recommend? Researching this forum I'm leaning toward Nosler partition (160gr) and Barnes TTSX (150gr), depending which shoot best. I believe this gun was made in 1970, so I plan to load closer to modern pressures. Outside 22lr and shotgun, we reload everything we shoot.
- the primary trigger is awful. Terrible, worst I've ever felt. Set trigger is beautiful, and almost too light. I took the gun apart and I believe there is no way to improve the primary trigger outside of replacing the leaf spring? It's not a deal breaker if I can't, I'll just learn to use the set trigger.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

EFR
Brno 3.jpg
Brno 2.jpg
Brno 1.jpg
Brno 4.jpg
Brno 5.jpg

Nice little rifle, it will be just fine on the animals listed if you do your part.

I have the exact rifle, and had the same problem with the primary trigger.
But fortunately a very cable friend of mine adjusted and polished it.
Its soooo nice now. The reason I mention this is that I want you know they can be adjusted and corrected.

Regards

Pat

Great rifle. Will work well on the species listed. Recommend Swift A Frames.

If you do your part that rifle with 160gr Partitions will sort out anything on that list.
Gemsbok are usually shot at range and you must practice shooting at 250m a little in case.

Vintage BRNO(s) are generally considered to be well made rifles. An experienced gunsmith should have no trouble adjusting the "primary" trigger. Have you by chance tried "googling" the adjustment procedure? Some "You Tuber" may have it on a video. As stated previously, a 7x 57 with heavy bullets will take all of the Plains Game you want to hunt. ENJOY!!

You got a nice rifle!!! a 150-175gr bullet have been taking game all over Africa for well over a century. The 160's you mentioned will take all the game on your list. The shot placement is always key.

I have a similar rifle, but a bit more unusual. It is a BRNO 21H Stutzen (carbine), with a 21" barrel, rather than the 24" barrel with which most half stocked rifles were furnished. I suppose it is the equivalent of the Winchester Model 70 "Featherweight". It is caliber 6.5X57 and the stock is badly in need of refinishing, which I will see to at the first opportunity. It is fitted with a Griffin & Howe side mount, and a Lyman 48 receiver sight, and shoots nice tight groups with factory RWS ammunition.
BRNO Stutzen 008.png
BRNO Stutzen 009.png

Hi folks, new to the forum, in fact second post. Quick background: I just booked a trip for my son and I to SA for plains game in August 2023. I've got a few rifles in the safe(s), probably several that would work, but I thought it would be neat (and proper) to hunt SA with a traditional blued and wood stocked, controlled round feed rifle.

A couple weeks ago I stopped into a small shop near where I was working to browse the used gun rack. Behind the counter I saw a trim little mauser bolt action with double triggers. The gun was used, but in pretty good shape. Bluing was a worn on floor plate, and was a little thin in a couple of spots on top of the barrel. All screws were perfect. The gun was light, neat, and trim, chambered in 7x57. There was no price on the gun as it was just taken in. I left my number and asked for them to give me a call when they priced it.

A week later I had not heard from the shop. I was in the area for work again so I stopped in. In the meantime, I had looked it up and found it was a Brno 22H. The shop still had not priced it. I asked what they'd take for the rifle. They gave me a price which I thought was very good and bought it on the spot.

Now, questions for the experts;
- will 7x57 be sufficient for SA plains game up to gemsbok, kudo, and zebra? Our PH recommended .308 Win up, (which should be final). Our PH also stated most shots would be between 100-200 yards. I do have other guns I can take, and my son will be bringing a (wrong handed) Christensen 300PRC if I need it.
- If the 7x57 is sufficient, what bullet would you recommend? Researching this forum I'm leaning toward Nosler partition (160gr) and Barnes TTSX (150gr), depending which shoot best. I believe this gun was made in 1970, so I plan to load closer to modern pressures. Outside 22lr and shotgun, we reload everything we shoot.
- the primary trigger is awful. Terrible, worst I've ever felt. Set trigger is beautiful, and almost too light. I took the gun apart and I believe there is no way to improve the primary trigger outside of replacing the leaf spring? It's not a deal breaker if I can't, I'll just learn to use the set trigger.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

EFRView attachment 454742View attachment 454743View attachment 454744View attachment 454745View attachment 454746
Beautiful rifle!
You might find it partial to 170/175 grain bullets but might just be fine with the 160 grain points that you would like to shoot. Nosler partitions are great in this caliber.
I think it’s a great bushveld caliber and should be perfect for the species you mention, bearing in mind that shot placement is always important.

Years ago reading the adventures of Jim Corbett and W.D.M.Bell I was enthralled with the potential of the 7x57/275.
I’ve just acquired my 3rd one !
A marvellous cartridge indeed,but then most cartridges of military origin have made excellent hunting cartridges also. Loaded with160-175 gr bullets it is very effective on the animals you’ve mentioned. My personal preference is the Nosler 175gr bullet trundling along at a moderate speed.

922B172F-9099-4875-841D-73BD239745B4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I predict you will like the rifle and it will serve you well. I've owned a few of the Model 21 and 22 Brno rifles, and each one was fit and finished very well, functioned correctly and shot accurately. I still have a half stock rifle in 8x57IS and a full stock carbine in 7x57. I chose to replace the double set triggers on mine, as well as the safety and bolt shroud. The original safety does not block the bolt when locked, so replacing it with a Model 70 style three positions safety and shroud from Recknagel or Dakota has been an upgrade I appreciated.
You may want to have the action epoxy bedded, I do that routinely since I have seen a couple of these rifles with those lovely slim stocks split through the thin section between the magazine and the trigger well.
The chamber throat on the Brno 7x57's are cut for the traditional 175 gr. RN bullets. Mine shoots best with heavy for caliber bullets. both 160 gr. and 175 gr. are worth a try. I shoot mostly 160 grain Speer Grand slam and Nosler Partition bullets from my Model 22 carbine, 2600 fps from the short barrel using H4350 powder. ( your longer barrel should yield a bit more velocity) The 175 Nosler Partitions are good too.
I've taken moose and elk with it, so can confidently recommend your rifle for Kudu and similar sized plains game at bush veld ranges.

Last edited:
Longwalker makes a good point there on ammunition. American factory ammo is rather pathetic. This is/was to avoid the older Mausers, 95,96, caving in under more robust loads.
European ammunition is loaded more to the full potential of the 7x57.

Hi EFR,

About the 7mm Mauser is my favorite, most used cartridge. For 20 years was my one and only rifle.
In a standard lenght Mauser with the original CIP chamber and barrel specifications, the potential of this 7mm for handloaders is much more than what the standard USA factory loadings show.
You can load the 7mm Mauser, at least, 150 f/s more than the USA factories, still at very sane pressures. NORMA and RWS show this even with some margin to increase.
The actual case capacity, loading the cartridge at the maximum OAL permited by the magazine lenght and the CIP chamber lenght to the begining of the lands, is significantly increased over the standard OAL cartridge. When I had a beautiful 7x64 Brenneke Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK with 60 cm barrel, I measured the internal case volumen of both, loading the 7x57 at that extended OAL, and the difference wasn´t more than 5 gr...Of course, with a magnum H&H lenght action the 7x64 could be loaded at much more lenght without even approach the lands (the 7x64 CIP standard free bore is one of the largest of all cartridges), increasing the case capacity accordingly. But I doubt this is a real scenario.
So, in my 7mm Mauser, a 1935 military action with a SIG military barrel with that long throat, I can reach 2850 f/s with 150/154 gr to 2650 with the heavy 173/175/177 gr bullets I use. With entirely safe pressures, judging by ALL the signals and evidences I saw in the rifle and cases life.
Good luck with your very nice rifle!!!

CF

Gentlemen: Thank you all for your help and kind words. I am excited about this rifle and you have offered very helpful advice; thank you. In no particular order;
-this rifle has the shorter barrel, around 21" (quick tape measurement)
-I've searched to the ends of google to find a way to adjust the primary trigger. If instructions are out there, I can't find them. Yet. When I get some time, I'll pull it apart again and figure out how it works to see if I can stone something or adjust something without ruining anything. This gun is just too nice to mess up.
-I ordered 7mm bullets yesterday (162gr) to try. I've done quite well stocking up for the current component shortage, but I don't own a single 7mm, so pickings are slim. I hope to order Forster dies for it when I get paid this week. I have H4350, RL19, H100V in stock and I just ordered some Staball 6.5. Looking forward to load development
-There is plenty of room in the magazine box for seating the bullets far out. I plan on taking full advantage of that.
-there is a hairline crack in the stock between the magazine opening and trigger recess. I bed most of my bolt rifles and plan on doing this one. I don't want to ruin collector value, but I believe proper bedding should increase accuracy, but more importantly, make the rifle more usable by producing a more solid, perfect stock/action fit
-I think I read every book by Jim Corbett and read of W.D.M. Bell junior high school, likely why I was so excited when I saw this little 7x57 (275 Rigby).
-I'm currently shopping for scope rings. Do you believe factory CZ rings (for 550) will be high enough? I'd like to get Talleys, but they only come in one height. Warne can be had in med or high flavors. I'd like to do low power variable.

Again, thanks for all your help!
EFR

EFR, the Talleys will likely work IF you have a scope with a small or moderate size ocular bell. The bolt handle of your rifle in not original, it has been ground away for more clearance. I can fit a Leupold 6x Compact model scope with a small diameter ocular bell on my unmodified 22F. Any of the Leupold Compact models will work. I suggest you try a Leupold 2-7 compact. I'm not sure about other Makes/models of scopes, most current models are designed with bigger ocular lenses.

Digging through my gunsmithing archives, I came across this info taken from some anonymous on line source. i did modify a couple of mounts in this way and was pleased with the results. Hope it's useful...
"
Should you purchase a square top Brno you have the option of utilizing the skeletonized meopta base, fortunately the Leupold QR rings have the same diameter stud, just a little longer, with the addition of a kingpin reamer you have the ability to use 1"to 30mm Leupold rings(they come in a variety of heights) and ANYTHING in between, also the reamer allows you to utilize older reticle moving scopes and centre the reticle, not just windage but elevation as well.

First tap the appropriate size rings to 6mm(and purchase high tensile 6mm dome head bolts), shorten the studs to size, mount the scope(you may need to ream the rings first) and sight the rifle, check the point of impact on a collimator, use the reamer(gently) to ream the mounts, both at the same time(gently applying downwards pressure to the end that requires the most removal, my front ring had to come down .034"), checking (by constantly reinstalling) the point of impact on the collimator, when the (centered) scope lines up on the collimator you can blue the rings and put the lot back together.

I like the Pecar scopes as they have a round bottom tube under the scope adjustments(this allows the scope to sit down between the mount rails), they also have a longer scope tube which allows one to set the scope back for correct eye relief when standing on ones hind legs.

The benefits derived from this approach are; you can use an older scope(much cheaper alternative), you get to use the lovely Meopta base, once everything is together and sighted in you can at any time remove the scope and base with a coin and shoot with your open sights, what is more the scope goes back to the same point of impact(mine does), not around or near,SAME!

The reamer size you want for 1" to 26.5mm is 15/16ths-1 1/16ths."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you