British Columbia Moose hunt

What are the legalities of someone from the lower 48 hunting Alaska? You’d find much better bulls there than fort St. John area.
A couple of changes going from BC to Alaska. If you are not a resident you must have a guide. Also, the minimum size is 50" so you need to be careful not to shoot a 49 1/2" moose or it must have 4 brow tines. I have looked over a lot of moose that were so close to 48" -52" in Alaska that you just can't take a chance. When that 55"+ moose comes out you know it right away.

Good looking bulls, they beat the hell out of our grain fed prairie bulls.

I don’t know, Aaron, I have seen some pretty big bulls here in eastern Alberta. The problem is getting a draw tag....they only come around every 6-7 years.

5 years where I grew up. If you get down in the battle river valley, there are apparently some monsters

5 years where I grew up. If you get down in the battle river valley, there are apparently some monsters

LOL. I work on the base at Wainwright...we see some pretty good bulls. There are always a few kicking around on the farmland that get a chance to grow big.

What are the legalities of someone from the lower 48 hunting Alaska? You’d find much better bulls there than fort St. John area.

I have bear hunted in Alaska and you need a guide. I'm not sure if a moose hunt requires the use of a guide. I've Dall sheep hunted in the Yukon and one day hope to return for a moose or caribou or bison. All of these are pricey. All I know that a Wyoming moose hunt (Shiras) costs about $6k, a BC moose hunt is $12k and an Alaskan/Yukon moose hunt is $25K. The Wyoming moose tag is very difficult to draw, as I have been buying pref points for 18 years and still haven't drawn a tag. The further north, the higher the price and yes, the larger the moose (in theory).

I have bear hunted in Alaska and you need a guide. I'm not sure if a moose hunt requires the use of a guide. I've Dall sheep hunted in the Yukon and one day hope to return for a moose or caribou or bison. All of these are pricey. All I know that a Wyoming moose hunt (Shiras) costs about $6k, a BC moose hunt is $12k and an Alaskan/Yukon moose hunt is $25K. The Wyoming moose tag is very difficult to draw, as I have been buying pref points for 18 years and still haven't drawn a tag. The further north, the higher the price and yes, the larger the moose (in theory).

I would have expected an Alaskan moose to be much cheaper for a US citizen, but I guess if you need a guide, your only savings would be a cheaper tag!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross