british airways

m9a9g9i9c

Reaction score
First of all, hello to everyone on the forum. I am a newbie bowhunter getting ready for an african hunt in Limpopo.
I was planning on booking my planetickets but I heard some bad rumours about the company I was going to fly with.
Apparently British airways is notorious for losing traveller's baggages, delayed delivery and or just losing luggage. I don't want this to happen to my bowcase !!!
And another hunter/friend advised me to pack my bow in a regular suitcase because of animal rights activists who keep back gun and bowcases.
Has anyone heard of such things or had to endure this ? And how to prevent this from happening ?
Regards,
Frank
Belgium

Hi and Happy New Year Frank. Ive been traveling with "all" airlines, BA as well, and there has been a lot of rumors about losing luggage and what what, however BA doesn't have bigger problem then anyone else in time, service or missing luggage. Make sure to mark your name on all luggage, make sure to keep all luggage tags, and you will be safe enough. as always I suggest to bring all "valuables" in hand luggage, like scopes, binos, cameras etc.... Also make sure to stay below maximum weight of luggage. Otherwise, happy landing and wish you a good hunt in Africa.

Frank i can only tell you what happen to a client of mine , he did use the same company, his bowcase was misplaced and it arrive some days later. No if you hunt with a rifle i can help you out with one but if you loose your bow it is completely different. I now do not recommend the company lots more to choose from. I have had very good service with them but then it was traveling without any guns or bows.
Johan

thx for the replies.
The big issue is, as always, cost. BA offers me flights of 530 euros that's 300 euro cheaper than most other airlines.For me and my family that's almost 1000 euros which I would rahter spend on a few animals. I might concider sending my bow ensured with DHL or FEDEX

Whichever airline you select, i would encourage you to pack your arrows in a hard MTM arrow case and put your bow in your regular bag packed with clothing around it. It makes the airports so much smoother.

Hello Frank
Myself and 4 friends flew with BA in July 2010 from Heathrow to Johannesburg,4 bowhunters and 1 rifle hunter.All the bowhunters had hard bow cases which we used to put most of our clothing in for the trip.In my carry on bag I put bino's,cameras,boots.bowsight, valubles.There was no extra charge for the bows as they were sporting goods and went through as oversized bags.The rifle hunter payed his £50 handling charge on the rifle and all bags landed with us in Johannesburg.We collected our bows from the oversize bags area and collecting the rifle was also straight forward. When we checked in to fly home the 4 bowhunters were also charged £50 each handling charge on their bows.We had many discussions with staff and managers but they would not change their minds and said their policy was that bows were classed as firearms not sporting goods .We was told to try and claim the money back when we had arrived home and was given a number to contact.We then discovered the BA dept that we needed to talk to is only open for 3 or 4 hours per day.We never did manage to get through so lost the money.I felt we were put in a impossible position at Joburg because you need to pay the money or leave your bows there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg