Britain Bans All Sales Of Ivory With Unlimited Fines Or Five Years In Jail As Penalty

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
London — Britain will ban sales of ivory in a bid to help preserve the world’s dwindling elephant population, its government announced on Tuesday.

The ban covers ivory items of all ages, with an unlimited fine or five years in jail the maximum penalty for breaching the ban.

The decision, which must be approved by parliament, comes after a consultation in which 88% of the 70,000 respondents were in favour of such a ban.

"Ivory should never be seen as a commodity for financial gain or a status symbol, so we will introduce one of the world’s toughest bans on ivory sales to protect elephants for future generations," environment secretary Michael Gove said. "The ban on ivory sales we will bring into law will re-affirm the UK’s global leadership on this critical issue, demonstrating our belief that the abhorrent ivory trade should become a thing of the past."

Britain said the international illegal wildlife trade was estimated to be worth up to £17bn ($24bn). The number of elephants has declined by almost a third in the last decade and about 20,000 a year are still being slaughtered due to the global demand for ivory, it added.

Commercial trade in raw ivory is already illegal in Britain.

The incoming ban has some exemptions: items with less than 10% ivory made prior to 1947; musical instruments with less than 20% ivory made before 1975; and portrait miniatures painted on thin slivers of ivory and which are at least 100 years old.

Commercial activities between accredited museums are also exempt, while exemption permits can be sought for items more than a century old assessed as being among the rarest of their type.

The ban was welcomed by non-governmental organisations. Charlie Mayhew, CEO of the Tusk Trust charity, said it was a "clear message to the world that the illegal wildlife trade will not be tolerated and every effort will be made to halt the shocking decline in Africa’s elephant population in recent years".

World Wildlife Fund CEO Tanya Steele said about 55 African elephants were being killed for their ivory every day. "If we want to stop the poaching of this majestic animal, we need global action," she said. "We hope the UK will continue to press countries where the biggest ivory markets are, most of which are in Asia, to shut down their trade too."

Matthew Hatchwell, conservation director at the Zoological Society of London, said: "No one in the UK today would dream of wearing a tiger-skin coat. Thanks to this move, in a few years’ time we believe the same will be true for the trade in ivory."

Source: https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/w...mited-fines-or-five-years-in-jail-as-penalty/

This is really going to worry the poachers responsible for the decline in elephant numbers o_O
At least it will protect the last of the native British elephants. I've heard that they are in danger of becoming extinct. There are very few of them left in England.

Well banning knives and drugs worked out well in London. Gove is an idiot of the highest order.

Typical British politically correct bullshit.
Giving in to the popular but uninformed opinion because it's a vote winner.
Not one of those spineless politicians had the balls to stand up and speak with common sense.
All they've done is raise the price of ivory.

I just hope Her Maj wasn't planning on selling some of the ivory artifacts owned by the crown to pay for Harry and Meghan's forthcoming nuptials.....

Not one of those spineless politicians had the balls to stand up and speak with common sense.

I just hope Her Maj wasn't planning on selling some of the ivory artifacts owned by the crown to pay for Harry and Meghan's forthcoming nuptials.....
Canada will be next.

And to think, I was going to wear my ivory jewelry to Harry's wedding! Now what should I do???

...and silence from Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique.....if they won't speak up there is no point in the rest of us.

I guess they will also demand the words of the song be changed to “Ebony and Ivory, as long as it is less than 20% ivory made before 1975, live together in perfect harmony”.

Thank you for sharing.

Now we just need an 8 ft violin that weighs 800 lbs so we can "inlay" a couple of tusks into it. Meet that 20% clause. I wonder how many elephants they think this will "save".!

I wonder how many poachers are looking for a new line of work!o_O

Sounds like our gov't.

This new legislation should put the fear of God into the hunters and poachers. No more Ivory in the UK! Bull elephant will likely die of old age now, and a site should be set aside for the old ones. Like an old age home where they come to die. I saw it in a movie once. Funny thing though, I went by the local SGP factory in Lichinga, Mozambique, and it was business as usual. I expected to see the workers crying in their beer, but no way. Still working three shifts making the things that put SGP on the map....Snares, Gin Traps, and Poison. Wont be having an 8 ton rat in their cornfields.....no sir................we got SGP!......the surging human population will kill off the elephant, indirectly, and they will worry about where the ivory goes at a later date. Perhaps Chinese new year. Or the year of the rat......they have a different slant on conservation . Best not get too worried til they're gone, then, the problem is solved. Easy come, easy go... FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!