Bringing the New 470NE Double Rifle on Line

Update on the Double Rifle (aka Big Stick: as in "walk softly and carry a ... " It's what you get when you have a history major in the family. (y))

Maintenance: The picture below contains the African Sporting Creations Cleaning Kit

IMG_6863.jpeg

It contains a wire brush and jag from Kynoch. The cleaning rod is a three peace rod. The zip-loc bag contains a silicone gun & reel cloth. The choke tube lubricating compound does not come in the kit. This is a recommendation from Lance Hendershot who owns and operates Hendershot Shooting store. This is what he recommends for the hinge pins and bearing surface. It is a Pro-Shot product.

Links
Cleaning Kit: https://www.africansportingcreations.com/safari-cleaning-kit.html

Choke Tube grease: http://www.proshotproducts.com/10cc-Syringe-Choke-Tube-Lube_p_614.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.30.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.30.47 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 349
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.30.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.30.52 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 359
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.31.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.31.06 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 358
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.31.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-16 at 9.31.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 356
Last edited by a moderator:
Ammunition Update: Redleg has been kind enough to suggest Hendershot's for an ammunition source. Remember currently I am not a reloader. After talking to Lance Hendershot, h
e has sent me a trial pack of ammunition. This consists of the 5 rounds each of the following:

Swift 500gr A-Frame
Barnes 500gr TSX
Woodleigh 500gr
Barnes 500gr Solids
IMG_6864.jpeg
IMG_6865.jpeg

He also loaded 1o rounds of Hornady 500gr DGX for practice. The Hornady's are much cheaper.

Link to Hendershot's: https://hendershots.net

Update: First Trip to the Rifle Range

Preparation: After reading the very good discussion on barrel break in (https://www.africahunting.com/threads/best-rifle-for-women.47598/page-9), I did the following:

1. Grease on hinges.
2. Clean cloth down barrel
3. Talked Princess Bride into loading up all the equipment and meeting me at the gun range.

It was Thursday. I noticed that in the afternoon there was a window of nice weather to shoot. I was at school without any of the equipment in my truck. PB was at home and she was gracious to put everything in her truck and meet me at the gun range for the last hour they were open.

I fired 3 set of two round each. I was using the Hornady DGX ammunition.The distance is 40yds. I was shooting off sticks. The results are below

Round 1:

IMG_6856.jpeg

The top hole is the first shot. There is a different technique to shooting these double rifles.

The 2nd Round

IMG_6857.jpeg

Better technique

3rd Round

IMG_6858.jpeg

I was much more aggressive with my stance. I squared my feet. I bent my knees. If you had put a helmet and shoulder pads on me you would of thought it was 1982 again and I was playing linebacker in high school. This stance helped in handling recoil.

Practicing with the big bores is why I have joined the reloading ranks. I hope to get to the range some in the spring.

Very interesting topic this. I recently bought an almost not used Krieghoff Big Five in .470, went to the range and shot offhand at 40 yards like you..

I used Norma PH factory 500 gr. solids, Federal factory 500 gr. solids (both Woodleigh..) and a handload of Hornady brass, 500 gr. DGX and 105 gr. Vithavouri N160. (I only use the DGX on paper BTW..).

I had consisting groups like your 3rd run with all ammo...very pleased with that..:)

I know that Federal load their ammo with Reloader15...no idea what Norma use..

What puzzles me is the difference in felt recoil, Federal was relatively mild, Norma a bit brisker and the handload was HEAVY..

I did not bring a crono...that handload give 2097fps in a friends Merkel though..

Making sure I understand - all three groups were fired with DGX rather than Hendershot's? If so, not a bad idea, because we need an initial few rounds break-in as much as the rifle - particular a new system. (y) Looks like to me both had settled in for the third pair? Was that a center or six-o'clock hold?

Nice looking rifle. I found the square stance helped me off of sticks as well but what helped me the most with big bore rifles was very firmly seating the rifle in my shoulder before aiming the rifle.

Gentlemen...is it fair to say that large caliber double rifles are rather forgiving when it comes to reloading, generally speaking..?

What are your experience..?

Gentlemen...is it fair to say that large caliber double rifles are rather forgiving when it comes to reloading, generally speaking..?

What are your experience..?
I am not sure that they are more forgiving or that we simply expect less and tend to shoot them at close range. My .375 and 9.3's are all regulated at 100 meters and they were quite picky. My 500/416 is regulated at 70 and was bit more forgiving. I suspect adding another 25 meters to regulation what make it just as picky as the others.

all three groups were fired with DGX rather than Hendershot's

Yes, that is correct. Regardless of optics, barrels, and ammunition, I am the weak link in the shooting system. From dry firing the VC I had a good idea of cheek weld and shoulder fit. I had no idea how that plan would work when the firing pin struck a live primer. Lance Hendershot recommended firing the DGX rounds first to a make sure I understood how I and the rifle would fit together. The adjustment to a more athletic stance for the third round of shots felt better and looked better. I would like to put another twenty rounds of DGX through the rifle before I to confirm my initial findings before I start trying the trial round of ammunition.

Thanks for your help on this project.(y)(y)(y)

I found the square stance helped me off of sticks as well but what helped me the most with big bore rifles was very firmly seating the rifle in my shoulder before aiming the rifle.

The next morning there was a distinct red mark on my right cheek. The first round I was a little loose in my shoulder fit and cheek weld.:confused:

What puzzles me is the difference in felt recoil, Federal was relatively mild, Norma a bit brisker and the handload was HEAVY..

The truth be told, after the sixth round I was ready to put the rifle in the case and enjoy a pleasant evening with PB.

To tell you how bad I am. Last fall I bought a 416 Rem Mag in Winchester Model 70. Up until last Thursday that had been the biggest caliber I had shot. When you break the trigger on the 416 the recoil is right now. On the 470 it seemed that it took a moment to get to you, but when it did, oh my, it was game on. I might be ready to play rugby now. I am thinking follow through on the 470 will be very important.

Handling Recoil over multiple rounds at the gun range.

Fatigue makes cowards of us all. In order to facilitate practice with the double rifle I have purchased an Evoshield Recoil Shirt. I have had football players with severely bruised collar bones wear these under their shoulder pads and perform extremely well on the field. They also appeal to me because of the thinness of the padding. Hopefully, it will allow for a smoother transition to actual hunting situations. Hopefully, I can get back to the range sometime next week.:)

https://www.evoshield.com/en-us/pro...otective-recoil-shoulder-guard-shooting-shirt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 8.05.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 8.05.31 AM.png
    540.8 KB · Views: 334
Yes, that is correct. Regardless of optics, barrels, and ammunition, I am the weak link in the shooting system. From dry firing the VC I had a good idea of cheek weld and shoulder fit. I had no idea how that plan would work when the firing pin struck a live primer. Lance Hendershot recommended firing the DGX rounds first to a make sure I understood how I and the rifle would fit together. The adjustment to a more athletic stance for the third round of shots felt better and looked better. I would like to put another twenty rounds of DGX through the rifle before I to confirm my initial findings before I start trying the trial round of ammunition.

Thanks for your help on this project.(y)(y)(y)
Good plan!

In my experience the larger the caliber the more important the fit becomes. My LOP is quite long and my 470 was simply too short
Putting on a new pacmeyer recoil pad lengthened it to were it needed to be my brother complains that it’s too long and I gently remind him it’s not his
Stay with it

Ammunition Update: Redleg has been kind enough to suggest Hendershot's for an ammunition source. Remember currently I am not a reloader. After talking to Lance Hendershot, h
e has sent me a trial pack of ammunition. This consists of the 5 rounds each of the following:

Swift 500gr A-Frame
Barnes 500gr TSX
Woodleigh 500gr
Barnes 500gr Solids
View attachment 268611 View attachment 268613

He also loaded 1o rounds of Hornady 500gr DGX for practice. The Hornady's are much cheaper.

Link to Hendershot's: https://hendershots.net

Lance is a good dude, he has helped me out on several occasions. BTW , beautiful rifle.

In my experience the larger the caliber the more important the fit becomes. My LOP is quite long and my 470 was simply too short
Putting on a new pacmeyer recoil pad lengthened it to were it needed to be my brother complains that it’s too long and I gently remind him it’s not his
Stay with it
I confirm Jacques orangutan arms.....a real knuckle dragger of a guy!

Hoe gaan dit David
Kind of like the length of my arms, they go all the way to my hands. How’s LittleRock?
Jacques

Hoe gaan dit David
Kind of like the length of my arms, they go all the way to my hands. How’s LittleRock?
Jacques
The weather has been crappy one day and ok the next. Headed to the range after lunch time with my son. Headed to Anchorage during the first week of May for the double rifle shoot. My 9.3 is shooting good groups with Norma 286 grain Oryx, but need to move that group 2 inches to the left. That will be my only "big" trip this year. Hope to get back to Africa next year. Lots of time with my grand kids on the weekends!

I got to use the 470NE at the DSC Big Bore Shoot. It performed flawlessly. I did not perform very well. So @WFet and I went to the gun range and spent some time being slow then smooth and then smooth and fast.

So ya'll coach me up.(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.