Bringing the New 470NE Double Rifle on Line

I take the opposite approach with a new double. I always test with my favorite bullets regardless of what the rifle was regulated with. At a minimum I test with Swift A-Frame softs and Woodleigh solids, as well as Bear Claw Sledgehammer solids, loaded by Federal. I have a Sabatti .500 that was regulated with Hornady ammo, but it puts the Swift into the same hole at 30 paces, and Woodleigh solids are almost as good. It won’t always be that, way of course. I have a Chapuis in 9.3 that was regulated with Norma Oryx and that turned out to be the only accurate load out of that rifle. You won’t know what the rifle will do until you spend some quality range time trying a few alternatives to the factory ammo choice.

You won’t know what the rifle will do until you spend some quality range time trying a few alternatives to the factory ammo choice.

Thanks for your wise words. (y)

it will wind up being "Bear Cubs" first deer rifle.;);)

I got to keep an eye on Bear Cubs dad. I was visiting at their house a year ago and walked through the garage. I found all sorts of tools I had been missing.:cautious:

Please tell Lance that Joe Taylor sends his best. And you want to chat with Lance about it - not the hired help. ;)

I spent a very pleasant 45 minutes on the phone with Lance this afternoon. He is working on the project. Thanks a bunch. (y)

I spent a very pleasant 45 minutes on the phone with Lance this afternoon. He is working on the project. Thanks a bunch. (y)
Excellent! Though you may end up hating me. He has some lovely guns for sale also. I bought my Rigby Highland Stalker and a custom built .404 from him. :whistle:

Beautiful rifle, congrats. Now for that hunt we were discussing at the dinner!

Beautiful rifle, congrats. Now for that hunt we were discussing at the dinner!

Yes, both my sons have been told that they are to take their father on an elephant hunt as a dividend on my investment in their lives. :D

I have even said that in front of their wives and so far neither one of them has gotten that look.:whistle:

Lots of conniving going on here.

I love it!

I got to keep an eye on Bear Cubs dad. I was visiting at their house a year ago and walked through the garage. I found all sorts of tools I had been missing.:cautious:

Yes that missing item thing never stops. Was in Houston for Christmas and noticed my son had a couple of th8ngs I thought I misplaced! Ha guess he needs them more than I do.

Yes that missing item thing never stops. Was in Houston for Christmas and noticed my son had a couple of th8ngs I thought I misplaced! Ha guess he needs them more than I do.

This is too funny....my son is at my house right now...trying to finish a project.

As I read this post, he came in from the garage with three tools in his hand, saying "Dad, can I borrow these to finish up my project at home"?

I told him to log them out and sign for them....then told him about the posts in this thread! lol

Yes, both my sons have been told that they are to take their father on an elephant hunt as a dividend on my investment in their lives. :D

I have even said that in front of their wives and so far neither one of them has gotten that look.:whistle:

What look could you possibly mean @Jfet ? :whistle:

Don't hold your breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
What look could you possibly mean @Jfet ? :whistle:

That look that only someone that is homozygous for the "X" chromosome can give. The one that very subtly says, "Not only No, but HELL No" and its done in such a sweet and beautiful way. :D:A Outta:

Yes, I bought the rifle. I gave into AH Peer Pressure.:A Banana:

It is a Verney-Carron .470NE Double Rifle. It is not a bespoke rifle but it might as well be based on the way it fits. I purchased it at the DSC Convention from Double Guns of Nashville. They are the U.S. distributor for VC. So when you visit Nashville take a break from the music scene and go visit their store. They have some amazing rifles and shotguns!
View attachment 265374View attachment 265374View attachment 265375 View attachment 265376View attachment 265377 View attachment 265378View attachment 265381

View attachment 265384

The following are questions for you experienced double gun owners:

1. How do you prepare a new double rifle for its first trip to the range? ie. Clean, oil, and any other preparations.

2. The rifle is regulated for Norma PH 500grains. I am not a hand loader, yet. What are some good sources for this ammunition?

3. Any other information, advice, or fun stories that I don't yet know to ask about please share.

Hi Congratulations on your new double. I cannot stress enough you do not oil, but you use high pressure gun grease on hinge pin and bearing surfaces. You should be able to find this grease from any dealer selling high dollar shotguns or double rifles. Also Ken Owens, gunsmith supreme, is located in Moscow, Tennessee makes a superb double rifle grease. Inexpensive and a little container will last for years. Remember if you gall your "hinge areas" it is galled for the life of the gun.

Congrats and welcome to the two pipe club. Agree with Lon about the grease. Should be able to order Norma PH from any number of gunshots. I use it for wives 375 in 350 grain. I sometimes hike in the sand dunes with my 470 to try to get used to the weight. Best of luck

What is a good source for equipment to clean .470NE? Rod, brushes, jags, etc.

Jim and Elizabeth
Safari creations sell a cleaning kit with 3 piece rod, brush ,jag , oil etc

I found a three piece wood cleaning rod and accessories for CAustin at a very reasonable price. Hopefully he'll read this and supply a photo of same and the source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg