Bringing souvenirs home, checked luggage and shipping

Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate it. I will definitely check out Cambanos &Son's , sounds like a cool place.

A friend of mine brought back a wife with him some 15 years ago., She was the manager at the lodge he was staying. Africa will be with him forever. :ROFLMAO:
A friend of mine did something similar at a bear camp in Maine. Didn't work out and now he has to hunt bears elsewhere lol

As others have said check out the Out of Africa gift shop in the Joberg airport. However, DON'T BUY ANYTHING THERE. Their prices are very high. Their prices for tanned hides are nothing short of ridiculous. I'm sure your outfitter can line you up for some stuff at half the airport price.

A friend of mine did something similar at a bear camp in Maine. Didn't work out and now he has to hunt bears elsewhere lol
That's why I added a sad emoji. I have never seen, married, lived with or know of anybody close who's wife has increased their travel, time, or money spent on hunting. But maybe I am selfish? Can't imagine spending same or equal hard earned dollars on diamonds, beach time or cruise to be able to go hunt.

Maybe like unicorns, some say they exist?

MB

That's why I added a sad emoji. I have never seen, married, lived with or know of anybody close who's wife has increased their travel, time, or money spent on hunting. But maybe I am selfish? Can't imagine spending same or equal hard earned dollars on diamonds, beach time or cruise to be able to go hunt.

Maybe like unicorns, some say they exist?

MB
My old lady hates to travel so I always get to go alone and do whatever I want lol I rarely spend anything on normal "vacations" hahaha

My old lady hates to travel so I always get to go alone and do whatever I want lol I rarely spend anything on normal "vacations" hahaha
That's a special one, I would like to find one like that, not for the first honeymoon phase years but life.

MB

That's a special one, I would like to find one like that, not for the first honeymoon phase years but life.

MB
Yup works out pretty good most of the time lol when I told her I was definitely booking a trip to Africa she was cool with it as long as she could get a couple goats. That's all it took . She's a keeper

My wife has been to Africa with me twice, she loved it and actually TALKED me into shooting a waterbuck in 2018 and a gemsbok in 2021. She also does all of the souvenir shopping. I should have taken her to Mozambique in 2014, no telling what I would have come home with. I think I will probably keep her! Totally off the thread, sorry.

My wife has been to Africa with me twice, she loved it and actually TALKED me into shooting a waterbuck in 2018 and a gemsbok in 2021. She also does all of the souvenir shopping. I should have taken her to Mozambique in 2014, no telling what I would have come home with. I think I will probably keep her! Totally off the thread, sorry.
That's cool. I almost wish she would go with me lol

I brought back ostrich feathers as a hunting trophy. It had to go usda taxidermist in 2019.
Interesting. I’ve never heard of it. I’ve got some coming in a month so we will see.

Ostrich and warthog get the extra attention due to swine and avian disease worries. I’d call coppersmith and see what their advice is regarding what you can bring in without issue.

note: if you are looking to get enrolled in global entry you do not want to have a red flag in your travel history for bringing something in to the states you aren’t supposed to.

This has to be my top trinket I saw on RSA. For some reason the little misses less than politely said no…
9BB51533-12B5-43F7-ACA7-6CE68D545ABD.jpeg

This has to be my top trinket I saw on RSA. For some reason the little misses less than politely said no…
View attachment 443882
That looks pretty bad ass, if its a California king size my old lady would definitely sleep on it lol
Really cool carving, may cost a bit to ship home lol

I was wondering if some of the more experienced guys could give me their opinions on what souvenirs ( besides my trophies lol) to bring home from South Africa. I'm probably going to spend $1000 or so on trinkets for family members and friends. What are some of the things I'm likely to run into? I'll be flying in to joberg and will be hunting in limpopo.
Also wondering if anyone has experience shipping animal products such as tanned hides and porcupine quills with their hunted trophies? Would really like to know if anyone has had headaches from mixing souvenirs from animal parts and their own hides and heads.
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm known for buying way too many keepsakes and am not opposed to flying home with one more duffel bag than I left with if needed. I noticed some threads dealing with these questions but the ones I found were several years old. Thanks guys!!
Bring home things like warthog tusks if you shoot one and trinkets like you see in the picture with no problems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg