Bringing souvenirs home, checked luggage and shipping

Those feathers are beautiful!!
Don’t bring ostrich feathers home with you as a souvenir. Obviously most people are going to get through, but they actually fall into a special category. They have to clear through a usda approved establishment as a hunting trophy, same as things like pig skins. If you were to get caught in customs it could be a fine and delays.

Your outfitter will know where to go, just make sure you are getting the real thing. In other countries the stand on side of road is likely the guy that made it, not necessarily in South Africa. Take it all home with you as checked or carry on luggage, technically your trophy shipment is only supposed to be trophies nothing else. You can ask your customs broker on this. Bring some rand with you for souvenirs, you can put a foreign currency order in with your bank at home.
Thanks, that's a good point. South Africa is a bit more developed.

Don’t bring ostrich feathers home with you as a souvenir. Obviously most people are going to get through, but they actually fall into a special category. They have to clear through a usda approved establishment as a hunting trophy, same as things like pig skins. If you were to get caught in customs it could be a fine and delays.
Thank you for the tip!!! I kinda thought bird and swine parts could get tricky.

I would definitely go to this store about 25 minutes from airport. I was told about it from another AH member “ if they don’t have you don’t need it” is 90% true. Unreal store.
E34B55C4-412E-4FDB-AA42-08C3EB52A6C4.png

This is one reason for bringing a big suitcase On the first few trips. After a few safaris you won’t want to buy anything much. You will see lots of options for trinkets. Jewelry should be on your list as it is something someone would actually want. I bought my wife a small Krugerrand necklace on my first safari in 1997 and she still wears it regularly. I bought some braai baskets, seasoning, and the aluminum pots they put cooked chops etc in when in Namibia one time and I use them all the time. Most trinkets are just dust collectors.
I recommend shopping in the airport. The big shop in JNB is amazing and you can just bring it all in a shopping bag and not worry about packing. Plus you don’t miss any hunting time shopping!
don’t worry too much about animal products just keep a receipt and keep your mouth shut at customs and all will be fine.
Dont over think it. This is your safari first and foremost.
have a great trip.
Philip

I also loved the big shop in OR Tambo-“out of Africa.” Not sure if it is open during covid. I bought a tanned zebra skin there-it came With the paperwork and all-
I also brought an ostrich egg from a resort gift shop among other things-pain in the back to pack safely but they did make it home unbroken. Always wanted to bring some carvings from Namibia and jealous of those who have done.
One thought-ostrich feathers and eggs and porcupine quills are available from Amazon among others. Might be smart to look at prices if you have the inclination. I picked up quills as we hunted and brought them home but I did not attempt the same with ostrich feathers-

I hope I get the same customs agent you guys have been getting. EVERY time I have returned I have been grilled about my carry-on bag at customs. Always the same questions - did you buy ostrich eggs, warthog tusks, etc etc. I once wore a pair of elephant skin Courtney's on my feet - they would have been confiscated in my bag. I have had curios in an extra checked bag but they were wood carvings. Customs doesn't care where you bought the curio.

Last edited:
I have favored easy to pack, non-breakable items such as clothing, jewelry and wood items.

You must be planning on bringing back 1/2 of Africa for $1000 !!

This is one reason for bringing a big suitcase On the first few trips. After a few safaris you won’t want to buy anything much. You will see lots of options for trinkets. Jewelry should be on your list as it is something someone would actually want. I bought my wife a small Krugerrand necklace on my first safari in 1997 and she still wears it regularly. I bought some braai baskets, seasoning, and the aluminum pots they put cooked chops etc in when in Namibia one time and I use them all the time. Most trinkets are just dust collectors.
I recommend shopping in the airport. The big shop in JNB is amazing and you can just bring it all in a shopping bag and not worry about packing. Plus you don’t miss any hunting time shopping!
don’t worry too much about animal products just keep a receipt and keep your mouth shut at customs and all will be fine.
Dont over think it. This is your safari first and foremost.
have a great trip.
Philip
Oh yeah I'm definitely taking a large suitcase lol, probably leave some stuff behind to make room for souvenirs. Thanks for the advice!

I've brought back quite a few items over several trips. Unless there is some special reason for requiring clearing upon entry into US like USFS or APHIS or Customs inspection or obviously a CITES permit, most common local crafts from Africa should be OK. The sticky wicket is when an agent happens upon something they don't have a clue about if they happen to look in your baggage upon return. They could just seize it without explanation... to CYA their over-reaction. And likely you will never see it again. I like to keep it simple and relatively inexpensive and try to avoid anything that a rookie or overzealous agent might get excited about. Most generic crafts are fine. Currency is also one of my favorites as the art work (engraving) is usually attractive and really well done. Brought back a couple of US currency 2 dollar bills from Zimababwe a couple years ago. They were almost black from continuous handling for years and skin oil because Zimbabwe had no currency of their own and used mostly (and may still) USD and RSA Rand. Try to avoid popular tourist trinkets, plus many of which are Hecho in China :) Obviously such things as a chunk of fresh elephant ivory or a pangolin skin would be out of the question!!!

I try to find "real" craft items. Brought back, with no issue, a really nice little San bow & arrow set with quiver along with a throwing stick from Botswana a few years ago. Sometimes the rural, local craftsmen make these things not knowing what a tourist trinket is... so they make real items and sell them to tourists. Got a local, smith-made hatchet/small axe in Mozambique and packed it well with protected edge in my checked bag- no issues. Had one of my trackers in Zimbabwe make a couple of woven hair bracelets while there- no issues and the real deal with provenance :)... unlike the fake elephant tail hair nylon bracelets you see in a couple of the OR Tambo stores. Several types of thick coarse hair work for such weavings, not just elephant tail hair, although elephant is the most sought after. Also have a couple of old Zulu Iklwa short thrusting spears from RSA.

I hope I get the same customs agent you guys have been getting. EVERY time I have come back I have been grilled about my carry-on bag at customs. Always the same questions - did you buy ostrich eggs, warthog tusks, etc etc. I once wore a pair of elephant skin Courtney's on my feet - they would have been confiscated in my bag. I have had curios in an extra checked bag but they were wood carvings. Customs doesn't care where you bought the curio.
That's what I was worried about, customs might be easy going or the guy might have a hard on that day for whatever reason and decides to give me trouble. Thanks for the help.

Agree with the comments on Cambano’s. They have everything from cheap trinkets through diamonds. The family is there and are honorable guys. Once they know you’re serious you will be treated very well.

If you’re staying at Africa Sky just let them know you want to spend some time there and they will coordinate to have Gilbert run you over. Safari Outdoors is along the route and definitely worth a visit.

Only swine and primates have to go to a USDA taxidermist. Small amounts of feathers for personal use should be no problem.

Some rodent products may be prohibited as well, also you can only spend so much before you have to declare purchases to custom. I don’t know if this cumulative or per item. I don’t remember how much it is seems like it is 400 dollars. Maybe 600.

Ebony sculptures
Aboriginal masks
Aboriginal spears, bows, arrows(in checked baggage, if allowed by air line)
Skins and hides, springbok, zebra, etc also available in shops at joburg airport in interational shopping section
Aboriginal jewlery
Aboriginal shields
Magnets for refrigerator

I was wondering if some of the more experienced guys could give me their opinions on what souvenirs ( besides my trophies lol) to bring home from South Africa. I'm probably going to spend $1000 or so on trinkets for family members and friends. What are some of the things I'm likely to run into? I'll be flying in to joberg and will be hunting in limpopo.
Also wondering if anyone has experience shipping animal products such as tanned hides and porcupine quills with their hunted trophies? Would really like to know if anyone has had headaches from mixing souvenirs from animal parts and their own hides and heads.
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm known for buying way too many keepsakes and am not opposed to flying home with one more duffel bag than I left with if needed. I noticed some threads dealing with these questions but the ones I found were several years old. Thanks guys!!

You have already received some good and accurate advice. I would add few things to consider..

There is no problem bringing back tanned hides provided that they have a veterinary stamp on the hide itself showing that is a fully tanned, finished hide. The stamp is usually located prominently on the (suede) underside of the hide. Any hide you buy in the airport or the popular souvenir shops will have legal, stamped hides for sale. You can bring them back in your own luggage without issue.

As others have already mentioned, bringing certain items like genuine ostrich feathers, eggs, elephant hair, porcupine quills, and any items made from genuine ivory are no-no's... The non-genuine items are perfectly legal to bring back in your own luggage. In 15 years of consulting hundreds of safari guests, I have never heard of anyone getting fined or arrested for trying to bring back a bunch of porcupine quills or an ostrich egg, but I do know of these items getting confiscated at the airport by US Customs if found. As a general rule, don't attempt to bring back any of the above items in your own luggage that you are not prepared to loose if discovered. They will take even your biltong if they find it...

As far as shipping souvenirs back with your hunted trophies, that is usually not a problem, but this is something I would discuss beforehand with your outfitter and the dip & pack facility that they recommend. Keep in mind that shipping costs are determined by volumetric weight. A handful of items should not be an issue. But, if you are bringing back dozens of hides, shields, and wood carvings, adding a lot of mass and weight to your trophy crate may not be cheaper than flying home with these items in your own luggage even if you have to pay for an extra bag.

As others have stated, trinkets are a personal choice. In Zim the roadside carvers are worth a stop. Vic Falls carving market more commercial. I have got big 5 carvings from mopane, and now iron wood, plus same from India and Shri Lanka in an unknown woods. I do like the big 5 carved knocking walking sticks so have a few. Hard sided gun cases brought them home, know length prior to purchase. I always worry about customs, so no ivory or things I know will raise questions. I would love to have brought home those big tortoise shells we found, but they are illegal. Having said that I have a bucket of porcupine quills, from one I shot and others we picked up. There is a large market in Joberg that sells African stuff, rocks, jewelry, carvings, we spent a few hrs there this last summer and got some stuff, carved Africa in wood, animals. These were more real to us as the carvers were on site, not massed produced stuff like we saw elsewhere. I would recommend this place over all others for personal home made stuff. Cant remember name but taxi took us, ground floor of a big mall. This last summers hunt we found an 11 ft mamba skin very recently shed, that now graces my memory room.

Out of Africa was open Sept when we went thru, had Covid rules, limited people in hand washing but airport was empty so not a problem, full zebra skins were $2000 US, we saw lots at roadside markets for $600, same as some zebra trophy fees. Remember the gouging at any airport and store is after you check your luggage on departure so every purchase must be in carry on.

MB

Only swine and primates have to go to a USDA taxidermist. Small amounts of feathers for personal use should be no problem.
I brought back ostrich feathers as a hunting trophy. It had to go usda taxidermist in 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross