R.M.C.

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
U.S. , Canada, and RSA
I was wondering if some of the more experienced guys could give me their opinions on what souvenirs ( besides my trophies lol) to bring home from South Africa. I'm probably going to spend $1000 or so on trinkets for family members and friends. What are some of the things I'm likely to run into? I'll be flying in to joberg and will be hunting in limpopo.
Also wondering if anyone has experience shipping animal products such as tanned hides and porcupine quills with their hunted trophies? Would really like to know if anyone has had headaches from mixing souvenirs from animal parts and their own hides and heads.
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm known for buying way too many keepsakes and am not opposed to flying home with one more duffel bag than I left with if needed. I noticed some threads dealing with these questions but the ones I found were several years old. Thanks guys!!

See the picture
JPEG_20211226_185130_1646176997093494754.jpg

I am partial to ostrich eggs and sculptures and carvings of animals I’ve hunted. Campanos (spelling) in Joberg is where I’ve purchased quite a few of these items. Placed in a hard sided suitcase, they travel well and my experience is that I’ve had letters stating these items were purchased and properly vetted. Tanzanite is a beautiful stone found in RSA as well. I also brought porcupine quills the last trip over as well.

I was wondering if some of the more experienced guys could give me their opinions on what souvenirs ( besides my trophies lol) to bring home from South Africa. I'm probably going to spend $1000 or so on trinkets for family members and friends. What are some of the things I'm likely to run into? I'll be flying in to joberg and will be hunting in limpopo.
Also wondering if anyone has experience shipping animal products such as tanned hides and porcupine quills with their hunted trophies? Would really like to know if anyone has had headaches from mixing souvenirs from animal parts and their own hides and heads.
Thanks in advance for the help. I'm known for buying way too many keepsakes and am not opposed to flying home with one more duffel bag than I left with if needed. I noticed some threads dealing with these questions but the ones I found were several years old. Thanks guys!!
Your PH or outfitter can generally take you to a shop to buy souvenirs. Usually much, much cheaper than at the airport.

I am partial to ostrich eggs and sculptures and carvings of animals I’ve hunted. Campanos (spelling) in Joberg is where I’ve purchased quite a few of these items. Placed in a hard sided suitcase, they travel well and my experience is that I’ve had letters stating these items were purchased and properly vetted. Tanzanite is a beautiful stone found in RSA as well. I also brought porcupine quills the last trip over as well.
Thank you for the info. I'd definitely be interested in ostrich eggs and would be nice to fly home with them without issues. Thanks!!

A grand for trinkets for family members? You gotta be kiddin'. Don't know about your family but a trinket from Africa will get looked at once, stashed somewhere out of sight and forgotten in a week. Why? It doesn't go with the decor. Jewelry? That's what old/young people wear. BTDT. Take that money and get a couple extra animals. YMMV.

A grand for trinkets for family members? You gotta be kiddin'. Don't know about your family but a trinket from Africa will get looked at once, stashed somewhere out of sight and forgotten in a week. Why? It doesn't go with the decor. BTDT. Take that money and get a couple extra animals. YMMV.
I probably wont need a grand but I have been known to go overboard with the souvenirs lol . I just figured I'd budget $1000 in case I saw something my old lady would like. Probably help with planning the next trip lol

I probably wont need a grand but I have been known to go overboard with the souvenirs lol . I just figured I'd budget $1000 in case I saw something my old lady would like. Probably help with planning the next trip lol
I was told if you want souvenirs, buy them at Tambo on the way home. That way you don't have to deal with them not being legal and needing to make space for them in checked bags. My first couple trips, I bought a few and nothing since. I have brought porcupine quills, warthog tusks and tanned hides through customs with no problems.

I was told if you want souvenirs, buy them at Tambo on the way home. That way you don't have to deal with them not being legal and needing to make space for them in checked bags. My first couple trips, I bought a few and nothing since. I have brought porcupine quills, warthog tusks and tanned hides through customs with no problems.
Thanks!! I wondered if I'd have trouble buying stuff right from the airport. Seems like they'd come with the appropriate paperwork or whatever.

Your outfitter will know where to go, just make sure you are getting the real thing. In other countries the stand on side of road is likely the guy that made it, not necessarily in South Africa. Take it all home with you as checked or carry on luggage, technically your trophy shipment is only supposed to be trophies nothing else. You can ask your customs broker on this. Bring some rand with you for souvenirs, you can put a foreign currency order in with your bank at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.