Bringing Rifles into Australia from US

CountingCoo

Reaction score
Member of
RMEF
Hunted
Namibia
Hello,

I live in the US and just booked a boar hunt in Cape York. The outfitter has rifles to rent, but I’d prefer to bring my own rifle if it’s not going to be a complete headache. Anyone have experience with the process of bringing rifles into Queensland from the US?

I’ve started working out the forms, but I’m just interested in travelers actual experiences. If it’s going to introduce enough stress and hassle to negatively affect my trip I’ll just borrow the .375 and happily roll pigs over all week.

Thanks!
Clayton

Last edited:
Are you flying into Brisbane first? How are you getting from Brisbane to Cape York, vehicle or domestic airline? If airline you will need to get prior dangerous goods approvals from the domestic airline. Be aware that because of staff sackings during covid, most of the airline counter staff are new and may not know the procedures firearms or ammo. Have a copy of their policy and a copy of the approval on hand to show them if it becomes an issue.

Are you flying into Brisbane first? How are you getting from Brisbane to Cape York, vehicle or domestic airline? If airline you will need to get prior dangerous goods approvals from the domestic airline. Be aware that because of staff sackings during covid, most of the airline counter staff are new and may not know the procedures firearms or ammo. Have a copy of their policy and a copy of the approval on hand to show them if it becomes an issue.
Gettung the permission from QANTAS is easy, just apply on line, no big drama. This goes for Jetstar as well as QANTAS own them. Last time I looked Virgin did not require prior approval BUT check as things may have changed.
If you have all the forms required by Queensland Police and Customs, it should not be a hassle coming in. Getting all the forms done I believe can be a nightmare, so I am told. I have only brought in firearms I have taken out, much less paper work required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross