Bring home tanned hides

Yes, I just did it a few months ago. I declared it and no problems.

Also Stuart from tallyho was telling me about a repeat hunter who brings his previous years trophies back the following year as excess baggage. Once again these are finished trophies not in the "wet." Sounds like a good way to save some money and headaches.

I’ve done both in checked bags and carry on. Just make sure that you don’t have any CITES or TOPS animals without the proper permits. I brought home blue wildebeest, blesbok and mt. reedbuck and springbok tanned hides home.

And make sure you have the certificate that says it has been prepped properly. Probably won't get asked to see it but it will save time if Agriculture in the US asks for it.

I bought tanned hides and some other stuff that had animal parts and brought them back without issue. Souvenir shop should give you paperwork for any of that. I got ostrich eggs, porcupine quills, wart hog tusks, carved horns. But I will comment that the customs guy I got in Newark was very thorough, he went through every single item in my suitcase and carry on. Basterd took the 2 pounds of biltong I hoped would go unnoticed in a full bag lol. No big deal though, they don't fine you or anything so its worth a shot in my opinion lol . Tanned hides are no problem in carry on or suitcase

Can we bring a tanned hide back from South Africa, as either a carry on or checked in bags?
Yes you can but it is best to have a receipt. It is obviously not legal to bring sport hunted trophies home this way although you can buy a zebra skin in the airport!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross