Bribery In Namibia: Government Forced Community Into Silence

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
full

What exactly is the Namibian government is trying to hide?

Dogged by allegations of bribery and unethical operators, a dodgy permitting system, and the contentious hunting of so-called ‘problem animals’ – Namibia’s hunting community has now been forced into silence by its own government.

The country’s Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) has released a memorandum that prohibits the posting of hunted dead animals on social media. The memorandum calls the practice of taking pictures of hunters posing with trophies, not of hunting itself, “unethical”, raising concerns as to what exactly the Namibian government is trying to hide.

“To deprive a hunter of bragging rights will simply turn him elsewhere,” says Izak Smit of Desert Lions Human Relations Aid. “Instead the MET should ensure proper regulation and control of hunting… and cleanse the industry of unethical operators that target high value iconic rare species i.e. desert elephants and lions,” he explains.

Despite the Namibian Professional Hunting Association (NAPHA) publicly supporting the policy and calling on their members to do the same, the requirement has not gone down well with parties on either side. Pro-hunters have defended their right to market hunts on social media, saying that the statement bows down to anti-hunters while others say that this just allows the MET to conduct a barbaric slaughter of lions and wildlife in secrecy. According to NAPHA, “Namibia cannot afford any opposition to hunting.”

The memorandum specifically prohibits hunters with valid permits from posting or sending photographs on public platforms, by making this a permit condition However for now this memorandum appears unenforceable. “For now we believe that this is the right thing to do and we optimistic that hunters and safaris will adhere to this moral issue in the absence of a legal backing. We are counting on everyone’s good will,” says the MET.

The MET tried to pass a similar motion in 2017 which would enforce permit conditions that prohibited all marketing of trophy hunting on the internet. However, this was shot down by NAPHA as they said that “advertising is critical for such businesses”.

The memorandum comes on the back of a social media backlash following the recent killing of another desert-adapted lion by the MET, as well as a number of allegations that members of the ministry are personally pocketing funds from trophy hunting. The killing of the iconic lion, Gretzky, caused a widespread social media call to boycott Namibia as a tourism destination. “The skin and bones and claws also seem to have vanished into thin air even though the MET’ s own personnel dealt with it,” says Smith.

Source: https://www.eturbonews.com/228941/bribery-in-namibia-government-forced-community-into-silence

Namibia Professional Hunting Association shared a post.
Yesterday at 4:50 AM ·

Ministry of Environment and Tourism Namibia
Yesterday at 3:58 AM ·
Dear all, as you may be already aware that, our Permanent Secretary Dr.Lindeque has retired from the Public Service. In this regard the Secretary to Cabinet has appointed Mr. Teofilus Nghitila as Acting Permanent Secretary effective immediately. Please adress all correspondences accordingly. Thank you

The "news" source has not even kept up with the announcement of the withdrawal/review of the "media" policy.

When you read "iconic" followed by the name for some animal you can conclude what you are reading is tripe.

MET being trashed for problem animal control and protecting citizens and their property?

Hunting Outfitters being trashed because they obtain permits to hunt?

:A Blink:

What the hell happened in the model hunting country? Namibia was the country we all looked up to. Man what a shit storm hunters are having to endure recently.

What the hell happened in the model hunting country? Namibia was the country we all looked up to. Man what a shit storm hunters are having to endure recently.

Good question!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross