shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
First of all, this is mostly Velo Dog's fault! There was a thread awhile back where he piqued my interest in this subject. Anyway, I had a custom Vang Comp/Robar Remington 870 that was set up for home defense with buckshot primarily. It had a Surefire light forend, Speedfeed stock, etc. After the aforementioned piquing of my interest, I modified the shotgun and began to experiment with slugs. I replaced the forend and buttstock with Magpul products, and I have to say that the Magpul furniture is amazing, in terms of ergonomics (regardless of its looks). Below are some pics of the shotgun and of a couple targets from today. As you can see, with iron (ghost ring) sights (and my crappy eyes), at 50 yards, I got 1.75"-2.60" 5-shot groups. This is from a smoothbore 18" barrel, by the way. The smaller group is with the Brenneke 2 3/4" Green Lightning, and the larger is with the 3" Brenneke Black Magic slug load that launches a .730", 600 grain slug at 1,500 fps. The Green Lightning fires a 484 grain slug at about 1,500 fps. I wouldn't take this combo to Africa, but I guess I'm thinking of a very portable, weather proof, effective combo for things like wilderness protection, including from big bears. By the way, the Brenneke slugs are very hard cast and tend not to deform, even when solid objects are struck. Just putting this out there because I'm a gun nut and I think this is an awesome 100-yard combo for big game and for protection. It's also an easy to carry, weather-proof rig.
IMG_2313.jpg
IMG_2326[1].jpg
IMG_2335[1].jpg

Last edited:
By the way, I put this in the ".375 and Up" section instead of shotguns because the loads in question fire a large-diameter, heavy, very hard cast projectile at a reasonable velocity, and have more in common with some (black powder) large-caliber rifle loads. Besides, as much as I love rifles, I find these shotgun loads intriguing. Last point is that I fired 25 rounds of these slugs today - 20 of them the 3" 600-grain/1,500 fps loads - and I think I'd have rather fired 20 .375 H&H loads!

One more pic, to get the point across: .730 caliber is pretty big!
IMG_1632.jpg

Right On!! Nicework:W Shotgun Pump:

Thanks, Mekaniks! I believe it was your post on a .500 S&W lever gun that led to a thread hijacking and - by extension - to this, was it not?

Thanks, Mekaniks! I believe it was your post on a .500 S&W lever gun that led to a thread hijacking and - by extension - to this, was it not?

Ha, I think it was, and glad it worked out. But, Like you said in your OP Velo Dog started it!!! Good stuff, now I gotta shoot some through my Benelli!!

That Slugger has Nasty written all over it

That Slugger has Nasty written all over it
Yep! Next step is to shoot it at 100 yards. If I can get 6" groups at that distance with open sights and a smoothbore barrel, I'll truly be impressed. Velocity is still almost 1,ooo fps at 100.

Ha, I think it was, and glad it worked out. But, Like you said in your OP Velo Dog started it!!! Good stuff, now I gotta shoot some through my Benelli!!
I got them from MidwayUSA, but you have to act fast as they tend to sell out quickly. You can ask to be notified when in stock though, if they happen to be out. Like I said, the 2 3/4" Green Lightning were actually more accurate and easier on the shoulder. I'd imagine they'd suffice for most anything.

Real downside to these loads is lack of SD; but on thin-skinned game they oughta do well at close range. More of a "smack" effect with that huge frontal area. But some of the penetration tests online seem to indicate that they're more effective than I would've thought.

Couple other tidbits about the shotgun: the front sight has a tritium insert, and the rear is a fully adjustable LPA ghost ring protected by steel "ears". Also, the barrel was made by Bar-Sto in partnership with Vang Comp. It is extra thick and made from 416 stainless. They only made them for a year or so. The extra weight probably helps a bit with recoil and durability with slugs.

Those are very big holes. We 50 caliber guys appreciate that! Makes my 500 Jeffery look like a 30-06!

Best commercially-available slugs on the planet, bar none:

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html
That may very well be, but they're harder to come by, and meant for rifled slug barrels (see Q&A on their website), whereas the Brennekes shoot very well out of smoothbores. I love the versatility of my Vang Comp 870, in that I can get 2" slug groups at 50 yards and keep all 9 00 buck pellets in a 12" circle out to 25 yards. And birdshot does well enough to make it a viable gun for gathering birds and other small game. I think the Dixies would be a lot of fun to play with though. Maybe I'll pick up a rifled barrel and give them a shot.

Back in the day when slug guns were starting to take off, and rifled barrels were considered a "paradox", I spent a lot of time testing various slugs out of various shotguns (spent an afternoon shooting 160 different slug loads..........OUCH!!):(.
The brennekes were the only ones that consistently grouped well irregardless of shotgun gauge, make, or whether the barrel was rifled or smooth bore.

Sadly, I am having a difficult time finding them locally anymore.............:(

If you are looking for something that HURTS when you pull the trigger, look no farther than the Remington buckhammers..........those damn things will dislocate your shoulder in short order!!! I don't even know if they are made anymore (certainly hope not!)

Back in the day when slug guns were starting to take off, and rifled barrels were considered a "paradox", I spent a lot of time testing various slugs out of various shotguns (spent an afternoon shooting 160 different slug loads..........OUCH!!):(.
The brennekes were the only ones that consistently grouped well irregardless of shotgun gauge, make, or whether the barrel was rifled or smooth bore.

Sadly, I am having a difficult time finding them locally anymore.............:(

If you are looking for something that HURTS when you pull the trigger, look no farther than the Remington buckhammers..........those damn things will dislocate your shoulder in short order!!! I don't even know if they are made anymore (certainly hope not!)
Yep, looks like the buckhammers are no longer made. However the Lightfield Commander Plus 3" apparently sends a 600 grain slug out the muzzle 200-300 fps faster than the 3" Brenneke does! No thanks.

I have used nothing but Brenneke for years now. They're hammers.

The Dixie Terminator is an even bigger hammer, but with deer there is no need.

Heh heh heh.

you guys are complaining about a 600gr bullet at 1600 fps? o_O

you should try the 505 Gibbs with a 600gr bullet at 2100 fps. the recoil will pick your leading foot up off the ground if you dont lean forward enough. then there is the 577 NE with a 750gr bullet at 2050 fps which will toss yer butt on the ground if you dont lean forward enough.

i realize that you guys are talking about light shotguns but i just had to say something. :p

-matt

you guys are complaining about a 600gr bullet at 1600 fps? o_O

you should try the 505 Gibbs with a 600gr bullet at 2100 fps. the recoil will pick your leading foot up off the ground if you dont lean forward enough. then there is the 577 NE with a 750gr bullet at 2050 fps which will toss yer butt on the ground if you dont lean forward enough.

i realize that you guys are talking about light shotguns but i just had to say something. :p

-matt
Uh, yeah, no thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross